It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Marshall
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:45 pm 

GoRamblers wrote:
natetheskate wrote:
think
1` new tv markets( do we go east, west, south, north? or two directions.
2. bigger tv markets ( Nashville, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis
3. maintaining private/public balance
4. Giving Wichita St. a little brother to play with since Creighton left home (Denver)
5. one of football members not already in basketball ( YUounstown St. South Dakota, SOuth Dakota St)

How bout Long Shots???? Iowa State gets tired of football team getting bottom of barrel
St. Louis tired of traveling

The big thing for WSU is that the new school is west. They have been frustrated that the footprint is heavily leaning east. I think that's why a lot of their fans wanted Denver.

It's not so much that it's leaning east as much as it's compacted in the IL area. Being a "bus league" doesn't do much for perception. The important thing to Wichita is GOOD basketball that can be maintained. Which is why many of us like UAB. Belmont and Murray State have a decent track record. MSU doesn't do much for expanding the footprint, but it's a solid program.

To the other part of the quoted text...

1. New markets would be great (UAB). I don't care which direction, just be good basketball.
2. Bigger is good if it means good basketball.
3. I don't care, but it seems to matter to the private schools.
4. We'll travel anywhere, so that doesn't matter. Many, myself included, have been intrigued by Denver because of the market and the schools resources. They've talked about investing in basketball and made strides, but not as much as I'd hoped. Being in the MVC COULD help that. But I doubt they happen.
5. No, No, No and HELL NO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:59 pm 

The thing that gets me about Shocker fans' opinions of what would be a good add to the league is a lot of the teams THEY prefer have many of the exact same drawbacks they've given Loyola continuous hell about.

Belmont has a good track record on the court recently, but how much of it is due to their 62-year old coach who has taken them from NAIA to Division 1? What happens when Byrd retires? They draw 1900 per game in the Ohio Valley (with a lot of nearby and local rivalries), with tickets half the price of what Loyola charges, and after going to the NCAA Tournament four out of the last five years. They rank sixth in the OVC in attendance, and if you throw out their Senior Day, their biggest crowd was less than 2500 (Loyola had two crowds more than 1k higher than that this year, coming off a last place season). Thier arena size is 200 smaller than the old Gentile, and 500 more than the current Loyola layout. They're probably the third most popular team in the Nashville market (29th in market size) after Vanderbilt and Tennessee-- and perhaps even behind several others in the state like Memphis, Tennessee State, Middle Tennessee, etc. They're in football country, where basketball is an afterthought, and in a good but not great hoops recruiting area. About a third of their 5000 undergraduate students are involved in music programs (business and performance), and their endowment is one fifth of Loyola's. They're exactly 30 miles closer to Wichita than Chicago, but much farther from UNI, Drake, Bradely, ISUr, and ISUb. They have played 18 years in D1 compared to Loyola's 97 seasons, and never won an NCAA Tournament game. If they're drawing 1900 per game after making the tournament 7 of the past 10 years, why do Wichita State folks always get so excited about Belmont? Haven't they already maxed out?

I can guarantee that if Loyola made the tournament just once every five years we'd easily average 50% more than what Belmont draws, even in our worst rebuilding seasons-- not to mention the upside on media coverage in the 3rd (not 29th) largest TV market, activating three times as many alumni, and traveling better to rival league sites than Belmont does in the middle of their success. And Denver isn't much better, with a lot of the same issues (they drew 200 fewer for their game against UNI than Loyola did, and averaged 1965 in their home games).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:03 pm 

Way to Go 63--While I respect Sub, I do believe he is in error here. If he wants an expanded League and his peers may want this--I am not sure he does--Then keep in mind there are NINE other teams in this League. Belmont would be a non-starter for most of the Valley teams, I wager. Denver ? Its a Hockey school as I recall.
If the Shockers will travel anywhere, then let them try Detroit or Valpo --Hoops schools with History and both in the neighborhood , so to speak--at least Valpo is.

Nope, I do think Valley stays as is for a while. If anything, WSU might move --say to Mtn West--That is more probable and sensible than adding Belmont or Denver. Criminy, what are those Fans thinking??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:41 pm 

Brot:
Maybe they see the light at the end of the tunnel and know its the Loyola train and they want to get off the track. For the Ramblers are coming on if the new President doesn't screw it up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:32 am 

JCT wrote:
The thing that gets me about Shocker fans' opinions of what would be a good add to the league is a lot of the teams THEY prefer have many of the exact same drawbacks they've given Loyola continuous hell about.

Belmont has a good track record on the court recently, but how much of it is due to their 62-year old coach who has taken them from NAIA to Division 1? What happens when Byrd retires? They draw 1900 per game in the Ohio Valley (with a lot of nearby and local rivalries), with tickets half the price of what Loyola charges, and after going to the NCAA Tournament four out of the last five years. They rank sixth in the OVC in attendance, and if you throw out their Senior Day, their biggest crowd was less than 2500 (Loyola had two crowds more than 1k higher than that this year, coming off a last place season). Thier arena size is 200 smaller than the old Gentile, and 500 more than the current Loyola layout. They're probably the third most popular team in the Nashville market (29th in market size) after Vanderbilt and Tennessee-- and perhaps even behind several others in the state like Memphis, Tennessee State, Middle Tennessee, etc. They're in football country, where basketball is an afterthought, and in a good but not great hoops recruiting area. About a third of their 5000 undergraduate students are involved in music programs (business and performance), and their endowment is one fifth of Loyola's. They're exactly 30 miles closer to Wichita than Chicago, but much farther from UNI, Drake, Bradely, ISUr, and ISUb. They have played 18 years in D1 compared to Loyola's 97 seasons, and never won an NCAA Tournament game. If they're drawing 1900 per game after making the tournament 7 of the past 10 years, why do Wichita State folks always get so excited about Belmont? Haven't they already maxed out?

I can guarantee that if Loyola made the tournament just once every five years we'd easily average 50% more than what Belmont draws, even in our worst rebuilding seasons-- not to mention the upside on media coverage in the 3rd (not 29th) largest TV market, activating three times as many alumni, and traveling better to rival league sites than Belmont does in the middle of their success. And Denver isn't much better, with a lot of the same issues (they drew 200 fewer for their game against UNI than Loyola did, and averaged 1965 in their home games).

I have always voiced the same concerns with Belmont. Byrd has done wonders there but when he's gone, there's no guarantee. Their attendance isn't good and his reported pay isn't great. But if we're looking at adding a private to offset say a UAB, I could see them getting a look.

I do feel that if we do expand to 12 in order to pull in a UAB, which I think UAB would be worth it, number 12 should be outside of the current area as well. That was another one of the complaints among many with the addition of Loyola. Along with attendance and no recent success, it was another school in Illinois and many wondered if that really did us any good as far as trying to grow the MVC. That can be argued and debated later, but it was the thinking. That's why many will not like an addition of a Valpo. I admit that I don't follow that conference closely at all, but have they done much in the last decade? and they're yet another team "near" Chicago. If being a bus league is important to the other 9, so be it. But it doesn't do much for the conference as a whole in the big picture.

I don't know what to think of Detroit. They've been decent recently, but again, I don't know much about them, especially prior to the hiring of their recent coach who has done a decent job recruiting. It is another school with low attendance, but I think just about any private we look at will be the same way. I don't know what kind of financial situation they're in either or what kind of aspirations the current coach has. They were pretty irrelevant before him and I wonder what they can do if he were to leave.

As far as Denver goes, they haven't moved forward like some had thought. Yes, they're a hockey school, but a few years ago they had said that they were going to use that hockey money to help boost their basketball and try to get into a better conference. They also have some pretty good donors if I remember correctly. They were moving up the RPI ranks pretty well for a few years but that seems to have stopped. But there were reasons to believe that Denver COULD have been a decent add if those previous rumors were true. I haven't paid too close of attention to it all recently.

IF a private school has to be added should a UAB become available, I'm not sure I'm thrilled with our options. Personally, I think we should go after the best option regardless of public/private and preferably a school outside the current footprint. Expanding the coverage area/exposure can only be good for the conference as a whole. We don't have to try and be crazy with it like the BcS conferences have gotten, but more TVs is a good thing. But more importantly, good basketball with the ability to step up is even better. I think UAB would be a no brainer if CUSA removes them as the bylaws state football is a must. Number 12 will be much debated should this ever move forward. Or would the conference be willing to stay with 11 for a while?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:44 am 

SubGod22 wrote:
JCT wrote:

That's why many will not like an addition of a Valpo. I admit that I don't follow that conference closely at all, but have they done much in the last decade?

Valpo was 28-6 this year, losing by 3 to Maryland in the NCAA Tournament.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:08 am 

01grad wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:
JCT wrote:

That's why many will not like an addition of a Valpo. I admit that I don't follow that conference closely at all, but have they done much in the last decade?

Valpo was 28-6 this year, losing by 3 to Maryland in the NCAA Tournament.

Autobid? How many tournaments in the last 5 years? 10? How are their resources? Attendance? All things I can and may look up later.

I don't know how the rest of the conference or fans view them, but I know Wichita fans would not be happy with yet another team near Chicago. But I do believe Elgin and company are short sighted enough to think that's the best move. I wouldn't be surprised if we went to 12 and Valpo was added. Then say WSU leaves at some point they'd probably add UIC. then say MSU gets that football shot in the Sun Belt they'd probably turn around and add Chicago State. If anyone else left they'd probably turn to Western Illinois or maybe branch out to SIU-E. Then fans could walk to most of the games if they have car trouble and nobody outside of IL would care.

Sorry, I've questioned the leadership in the MVC for some time. I just don't see how another Chicago area team does anything for the MVC.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:58 am 

There is no way Chicago State would ever be in the Missouri Valley. They do not deserve to even be called a university as they are complete trash. They were booted out of the Mid Con.
Hey, if Wichita State thinks they are so good and want to leave the MVC, then let them go and don't let the door hit them in the ass.
Valpo would be a fine addition.
What's the matter with having another Chicago area school?
Sorry if this sounds disrespectful. It was a nice analysis except for the Chicago State bit which showed a complete lack of understanding about Chicago area "schools".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 pm 

I can see an opportunity with UAB. They have a lot of assets and potential, but I'll admit I haven't followed the saga of why they're pulling the plug on football even while so many schools are yearning to get big time football. Doesn't that worry anyone? I guess the question is, how low is the league willing to go to pick up another school to make an even dozen? If some fans had (have) such big problems with adding Loyola but are fine (almost giddy) with Denver and Belmont, the only conclusions I can draw are 1. They hate Chicago and/or 2. They don't know what they're talking about.

St. Louis would be the prime school that would make the most sense to bring in, but they're not apt to leave the A-10 easily-- I think they want to be in the Big East, but are queasy about the average basketball budgets in that league. The current average MBB budget in the Big East is around $6.5 million (with two teams over $10 million), and St. Louis' $4 million budget (4th highest in the A-10) would be last in the Big East behind Butler. Maybe the case might be a little stronger to make a run at them now that Shaka Smart left VCU, which casts more doubt on the long term strength of the A-10. They may have issues with having already been in the MVC, the conference headquarters being in St. Louis, and the weaker TV contract. However, having a Chicago team in the MVC (and a fellow Jesuit school, to boot) is something that didn't exist for them as an option when the Big East was put together in 2013-- the MVC had yet to add Loyola, and Loyola was a dubious, unproven choice at the time.

If St. Louis and UAB were added to make 12, you've got a much stronger MVC, now with better TV markets (Chicago, St. Louis, Birmingham, Wichita, Des Moines) and a good public/private balance. You've got a pretty comfortable footprint for travel in non-revenue sports, better recruiting areas, a more reasonable men's basketball budget range (St. Louis would be 2nd, UAB would be 4th, and an average around $3 million), and comparable recent tournament success. Meanwhile, the A-10 looks a little shakier without Butler, Xavier, and Shaka Smart.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:07 am 

JCT wrote:
I can see an opportunity with UAB. They have a lot of assets and potential, but I'll admit I haven't followed the saga of why they're pulling the plug on football even while so many schools are yearning to get big time football. Doesn't that worry anyone?

It's my understanding that the school down the road in Tuscaloosa applied the pressure with the state. Not that the two are competing, but if it's all true, it's reminiscent of the big telecom companies. "Hey, we're not a monopoly! (we may be the only game in town) BUT WE'RE NOT A MONOPOLY!"