It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am 

If we don't see a vast improvement in attendance this year with what we did last year and what we have coming back, then there is little to no hope of it ever happening...

If what we've done doesn't do it, what possibly could? An invitation to join the A-10?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:55 am 

How would attendance not improve dramatically? The entire lower bowl will be full for most games (except for winter break). And if you look at the seat map online, the upper bowl center sections are almost sold out with a lot of other upper sideline seats gone as well. And individual game tickets and smaller packages aren't even on sale yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm 

There will definitely be an improvement in the attendance numbers! But just realize that we'll probably still be well in the bottom half of the conference for overall attendance. It has more to do with capacity than anything else. If we sell out every single game that would mean our average attendance would be 4,963. Both Bradley and Illinois State had better average numbers last year, so we won't pass them.

For the other schools, if Missouri St, Indiana St, and Evansville sold 50% of their tickets, they'd have higher numbers than us. SIU only needs to be 60% full to have more attendees than all of Gentile. Both Drake and UNI can seat about 41% more people than us. Valpo is the only school close to us since they can only seat 37 more people.

So in pure attendance numbers, 9th might be realistic, but I'd be more concerned at the % we're filling it up than if we're getting more people than other schools. If I'm on a visiting team, I'd rather play in front of 5500 Missouri State fans (50% full) than 4500 Loyola fans (91% full). A full arena just sounds louder than a half empty one regardless of the number of people inside.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:38 pm 

% of attendance is a much better metric in my opinion! Certainly the only realistic chance we could compete in this department.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
If we don't see a vast improvement in attendance this year with what we did last year and what we have coming back, then there is little to no hope of it ever happening...

If what we've done doesn't do it, what possibly could? An invitation to join the A-10?

A10 wouldn’t make a difference in attendance. 3 spots behind MVC last year and MVC projects to be the better league this year.

Hopefully the league is smart enough to make ISU @ LU the final game again. If ISU & BU are on Saturdays, they will sellout imo. Perhaps UMKC & Nevada too even on a Tuesday.

I predict 4 sellouts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:12 am 

SisterJean’s#1Pupil wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:

A10 wouldn’t make a difference in attendance. 3 spots behind MVC last year and MVC projects to be the better league this year.

Hopefully the league is smart enough to make ISU @ LU the final game again. If ISU & BU are on Saturdays, they will sellout imo. Perhaps UMKC & Nevada too even on a Tuesday.

I predict 4 sellouts.

4 sellouts would be a great accomplishment. What I'm super curious about (and a feeling a bit pessimistic about) is how many people actually show up for the games. I know that the lower bowl is sold out... but how many people will brave Chicago traffic on a Tuesday during rush hour in January??? I guess I'm afraid that people got caught up in the hype and bought tickets without second thought but may be less excited to go 3 or 4 games into the season. I REALLY REALLY hope that I am wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:03 am 

SisterJean’s#1Pupil wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:

I predict 4 sellouts.

The Nevada game will definitely be a sellout. A rematch of the sweet 16 and Nevada should be a top 10 team by then. Also, SIU fans travel really well, so if that’s a weekend game I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s a sellout. If the over/under on sellouts is 4.5, I’ll take the over.

Also don’t underestimate the amount of students’ parents who will come up to visit and go to a game; the new incoming freshmen and their families only know a winning team and want to be a part of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:23 pm 

All great points... but I'll take the under.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 pm 

I think we will double the attendance to 4200 to 4500.

Detail is in the new Windtrust arena and only averaged a little over 3100.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:59 am 

My expectations are that we will win more than 20 games, sell out 3 games and make a post season tournament. I think that we have the potential to be better than last year, but I don't think the ball will bounce our way like it did last year. I think it will be difficult to make the NCAA tournament because the selection process is rigged. It will be difficult to win Arch Madness two years in a row.

I can't wait to see how much Townes and Custer have improved, given their summer experiences.

I expect Williamson to be our best player at the end of the year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next