How Should Porter Fill the Assistant Coach Position?

Loyola University Chicago men's basketball, 2017-18 MVC Champions.

How Should Porter Fill the Assistant Coach Position?

Hire a current college assistant coach
9%
Hire a former college head coach on the rebound
18%
Hire an up and coming high school coach
18%
Promote from within
36%
Other (explain)
18%

Total votes : 11

Re: How Should Porter Fill the Assistant Coach Position?

Postby ahunte1 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:55 am

Looks like that post is for the Women's program:

6. Ability to generate ideas and strategies to help promote the Women’s Basketball Program
ahunte1

Postby bmh_twosix » Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 am

ahunte1 wrote:Looks like that post is for the Women's program:

6. Ability to generate ideas and strategies to help promote the Women’s Basketball Program

Good catch, I did not read it closely enough. The other post does appear to be have taken down though, so maybe they've made a decision or have at least thei candidates selected.
bmh_twosix

Postby goramblers2011 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:18 am

Per Twitter, we will be hiring Jermaine Kimbrough as an assistant coach.

https://gowyo.com/staff.aspx?staff=166

Thoughts?
goramblers2011

Postby ahunte1 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am

Cool. I don't know anything about him, but Porter has a really sold track record with hires, so this works for me.
ahunte1

Postby Johhnyfingers » Thu May 16, 2019 12:58 pm

I don’t know anything about him but it will be interesting to see where his recruiting connections are now that we are going to lose what Mullins brought.
Johhnyfingers

Postby natetheskate » Thu May 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Interesting...coaching resume seems solid....recruiting is weird as there is no one on the current Cowboys team from anywhere in the Chicago or Midwest. So this appears to be a coaching and teaching hire......
natetheskate

Postby 440Rambler » Thu May 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I think it could signal a move into Ohio from a recruiting perspective. He has extensive experience with Cleveland State and played for a decent program in HS as Shaker Heights. As a Clevelander myself I dont know if Id invest in recruiting the area too much but there is talent in NEO.
440Rambler

Postby natetheskate » Thu May 16, 2019 5:40 pm

440 ...dont you find that weird...that after having a stellar recruiting year in Chicago...and Kansas for that matter? I am not disagreeing with you that NEO may have a lot of good players....just curious why they would change
natetheskate

Postby 440Rambler » Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 pm

Yeah I think its a very odd move if it turns out thats in their plans. While there are some great catholic schools in NEO that churn out talent wed be facing stiff competition to break into an area we have no history with. Kent State, Akron, and Bowling Green all would offer similar levels of competition as the Valley. Duquesne has Keith Dambrot at HC now (former Akrom HC & LeBrons former HS coach at St Vincent St Mary) so wed start second fiddle to them when it comes to out of state Catholic schools at abour our level. Then theres Xavier & Dayton as in state options. It just seems like itd be a ton of work to break into it with very little reward likely. I love Cleveland but it produces much more college football talent than college basketball talent.
440Rambler

Postby Rambler88 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:07 am

It is an interesting hire. I don't think we will see any changes in our recruiting plan. IMO, Porter Moser is confident he can attract recruits and has sufficient local contacts. He may want someone who has the ability to coach and work with kids and parents. Loyola's heightened profile combined with the fertile recruiting pool in the area -we may not need to have coaches with local contacts. we may need a person who can build relationships
Rambler88

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball