It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: On the TeeVee
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 am 

Aside from the radio guys, who can fill four hours talking about how much the Cubs suck, it does seem like we got some pretty good coverage out of this tournament. I think all the local TV stations were at the gym for practice before our first game (props to Porter for opening up practice to them). I saw a couple cameras at at least one of our home games, and then we had two hits last night.

Edit: not to mention Montel's dunk that had our name on Sportscenter for 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:11 pm 

Disclaimer, I know nothing of how the media world works. That said, is it possible to think that the Trib or Sun Times would contract (read: pay) a guy like Jesse Kramer to publish his work on their websites, or heaven forbid in print? Just check his recaps of the CBI games, great stuff. He writes on LUC, UIC, Valpo, Chicago St...obviously the schools that the papers don't employ a staff to cover. I think having consistent, dynamic coverage in the mainstream media would go a long way. Maybe if they don't want to employ a staff they'd at least pay an independent writer. I have no idea if Jesse would want to do this, either.

However, like I said, don't know anything about how media works. And since this seems to be simple and make sense, there's probably a flaw to the idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:32 pm 

The current model for the Sun Times and Tribune (at least website wise) is that they have some staff writers but link to outside sources (i.e. other papers, AP, etc).

I'm sure Jesse would be a perfect fit for them but they most likely: 1. Don't know he exists; 2. Don't want to pay him; 3. Take the "journalistic integrity" road because he's a student.

In the Sun Times, Loyola's write up on the CBI championship was all of 4 sentences. Do you want to venture a guess as to how many articles/pages/paragraphs/sentences they dedicated to DePaul's new old coach? They are a joke. Part of the problem is them, but part of the problem is the University.

Last edited by GoRamblers on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:52 pm 

All I can say is that it is a rare day indeed when the Cle Plain Dealer or the Akr Beacon Journal do not mention Kent St, Cle State, U of Akron and even Baldwin Wallace on their respective Sports pages. Day in day out. We all know that print media is shrinking BUT the Akron Cleveland papers have not lost the idea of what Journalism really is. If these papers go down, they will at least go down with flags flying, so to speak--Sorry to say this, but the Chgo Sports pages are now, to me SECOND RATE and sinking--Why ? Selective local loyalty and responsibility . Sad but true !