It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:54 pm 

Agree about the turnovers. And the game was right there for us. Wish we'd gotten a better look but a step back 3 from Lucas isn't the worst, especially when we had a chance at a putback, too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:57 pm 

Mudville21 wrote:

No. You missed the point. He had LU in regardless of us winning today. He is basically saying the only way the MVC is a two bid league is Loyola does not win Arch Madness. No one else will get an at large, except possibly Loyola.

You're off. To maximize the chances of the MVC getting two bids, Loyola would have had to win today. It is that simple.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:07 pm 

Shouldn't you make sure to drive the ball on the last possession in a game with so many fouls being called? Makes sense to me, but so many refs apparently believe that, at that point, "the players should decide the game" and they let ridiculous stuff go by. Whatever the play was, it didn't allow Lucas to to get any momentum toward the basket. Credit Jacobson for that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:39 pm 

I was expecting a drive, but certainly not expecting a foul.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:03 pm 

Mudville21 wrote:
End of the day, we lost the game because we turned it over 16 times to NIU’s 8. We can cry and whine about the horrible officiating (and it was horrible), but those were 8 possessions in an OT game that we did not get shots up. When you consider how good our shooting numbers were most of the game, those 8 TOS were HUGE.

Those 8 TO’s were huge for sure, but it’s very hard to win when half of your team is close to fouling out and you have to micromanage minutes like that. And then to not have Knight or Schweiger at all for OT and then have to sit Lucas for over half of OT, the officiating kept UNI in the game and really gave us no chance once we got to OT.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:35 pm 

No 2 ways about it, this one hurts big time. This just solidifies the need to win Arch Madness, which I firmly believe we can still do, especially with a healthy Marquise. Let’s leave the Valley on top and show them one last time. Love the Valley, but definitely ready to move on. Good teams like Drake, Missouri State, UNI all have terrible early season losses and drag down the reputation of the league, so by the time the top teams all are running full speed, it doesn’t matter to the national pundits and league losses really hurt in the eyes of bracket predictors. Really frustrating, and ready to move on to the A-10 where teams like VCU, Dayton, Davidson, St Bonnie’s, etc. all have more national recognition on an annual basis.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:38 am 

After watching the game for the second time (with the remote for replays if necessary), here's my thoughts:

1. If we had been ready and vigilant in the Missouri State and Drake home games (or the Bradley road game, for that matter), this loss would be meaningless. We should be better than both those teams at home, but in each case we were coming off a road win and (I think) let our resolve lapse.
2. We played pretty well, given the circumstances we put ourselves into-- if this was a game where we weren't playing for the MVC regular season championship, it's doubtful that 7500 people are booing every UNI foul and cheering every Loyola foul. It has an even more powerful effect on inexperienced homer refs.
3. I don't know the internal dynamics of the locker room and practice floor, but it seems to me that this year's team has problems getting their motivation up at the beginning of games. The number of times the team gets into a big hole before it starts to play like we know they can is way too many. I know the coaches have a large part of that role, but the senior leadership plays a part, too. These guys don't seem prepped and ready to go out strong every time, not like the 2017-18 team and the 2020-21 team.
4. Even if we crap out against Bradley, we're probably still in the NIT, with a 3 or 4 seed. But I think we have to win 1 or 2 to get into the NCAA Tournament as an 11. If we win the MVC Tournament, we're probably a 10, and if we win it going away we might barely make it to a 9 with some lucky breaks.
5. Don't think it's going to be easy (or even anything close to a level playing field) in St. Louis. The fans of every team in the league will be rooting against us, booing every Bradley or UNI foul and cheering for any Loyola foul. And there are going to be a lot of opposing fans there to root against us, because Missouri State, UNI and Drake all have almost as good a chance as we do to win it-- and when combined, a better chance. Bradley (a not-so-good matchup for us) and SIU aren't slouches, either.
6. I still think we're the best team in this league by a pretty good margin. The early announcement about the A10 was (I guess) meant as a courtesy to the MVC, but it allowed resentment and bitterness to calcify around us though the year among opposing teams and fans. They never much liked us in the first place. It's bad enough to be the top dog that people don't like, but being the top dog that people don't like and who are about to leave the conference (so there's no downside to doing things that would ordinarily spark reprisals) made every game against Loyola a big, fat red circle on the calendar. "Here, take your last shot at these guys, and remember they won't be around next year to give payback!" So we got their best shot, with extra physical play, in packed arenas, with angry crowds. Wichita State announced their move to the AAC on April 7, 2017. Creighton announced their departure from the league on March 21, 2013. So our thoughtfulness and consideration for the league has been turned against us and become a huge, huge minus.
7. The Lucas Williamson step-back shot at the end of regulation was a little bit forced. That one had about a 20-25% chance of going in. A drive and shot would have had about a 40% chance, and (I think, under the circumstances) a 5% chance of getting a foul call. UNI had a pretty clear benefit on the foul calls-- they weren't going to give one to us in that building.
8. Pretty disappointed by the MVC and their fans and the whole way this ended. Part of it is our own fault for trying to be up-front and gracious about leaving. They didn't want us to join, didn't like us too much while we were here, and then really, really didn't like it when we left.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:03 am 

Mudville21 wrote:
End of the day, we lost the game because we turned it over 16 times to NIU’s 8. We can cry and whine about the horrible officiating (and it was horrible), but those were 8 possessions in an OT game that we did not get shots up. When you consider how good our shooting numbers were most of the game, those 8 TOS were HUGE.

The point above is the truth. No point whining too much about the refs when we turn the ball over in almost 20% of our possessions. The fouls hurt us badly today and they didn’t really even out— I get it. That’s going to happen and it’s even more critical in those situations to take care of the ball. Having Schweiger pick up two quick ones in the 2nd half robbed us of his production which was excellent yesterday. Having even half his first-half numbers in the second half would’ve meant a comfortable LU win. Missing Kennedy was a dagger yesterday for no other reason than we would’ve had 5 more fouls to give.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:19 am 

CBS has Loyola as the 4th team “OUT”.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:33 am 

Mudville21 wrote:
We only dropped to 30 in the Net and metric score actually went up a little. Problem is Bradley will be a tough draw for us, but I will take my chances playing NIU if we beat Bradley. The problem is last time we played Bradley at Arch, the refs let them beat us up. I have no faith in the MVC anymore. Too many times in important games, the officiating crews just stick it to us. I am glad we are leaving this conference.

If everything is the same we will have B10 refs for Arch Madness....and they are used to reffing and allowing more physical games. Hopefully Marquis is back,,,,will make a difference.
I have always thought that the Dance selection is somewhat manipulated. and I think the A-10 would love to see LU in the dance and TV would love to see the Ramblers and Sr. Jean......but the Ramblers have got to win at least two at Arch Madness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next