It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the reminder Huntie !! I forgot that BUT , I am still hoping--

You know, some say losing one man even an important one such as Milt--They are all important, but you know what I mean--is not That big a deal--In our case it is because he does SO much--eg--Christian cannot get open--Turk really has to work extra to get clear--both tire late even with our bench.
The Newbies as good as they are. have helped a ton BUT they are Newbies.

I just keep hoping he returns sooner than later.

OH yes, btw . PM has an easier time bench coaching with him in there than now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:49 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
A nice recapitulation of the LeCrone Conspiracy Theory for our newer Ramblermaniacs.

I don't think there's much of a question that it was more than just "a conspriracy theory." LeCrone himself used poor attendance from the 2002 final (in Cleveland, who outbid other schools to hold the tournament during spring break) as a reason for changing the format, along with protecting the higher seeds.

Now that we're out of the league, Wright State's AD has advocated making changes to the HL tournament to make it at a neutral site. You can see from the discussion on this link that Loyola's 2002 trip to the final is still cited by fans as the reason the format was changed, and echoed by others as a reason to keep the format as is.

That was only one aspect of the HL's "issues." There was the statistical imbalance in technical fouls called, the Theo Dixon spitting incident, the refusal to call the timeout after free throws in the UIC game (2/27/2003, Bailey's last home game), the communications guy who had to resign because of email comments, adding UIC to the league (that "rule" has also since changed-- this time hurting Detroit), and several other examples.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:17 pm 

JCT, I believe to host a CIT game you need to pay a certain amount of money. Has Loyola budgeted for the expense of hosting a CIT game, or do you feel a road game would be the only option?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:46 pm 

ramblermgr9599 wrote:
JCT, I believe to host a CIT game you need to pay a certain amount of money. Has Loyola budgeted for the expense of hosting a CIT game, or do you feel a road game would be the only option?

I guess that's part of the point of the commentary-- whatever it takes, we need to do. Could you imagine turning down a C-tournament bid for any reason (money, travel, or anything else) when we've been out of all postseason play for 30 consecutive years? If we're going to make a run at it, we need good support/attendance down the stretch and all hands on deck.

With the loss to Indiana State on Saturday, we have no more margin for error to get a C-tournament bid. We'd have to absolutely win the four games we have left with under .500 teams-- vs. SIU on Wednesday, at Bradley (2/15), at Drake (2/25), and vs. Missouri State to end the regular season (2/28), at minimum. That would get us to 18-12 (8-10) headed to St. Louis, probably 6th place-- maybe 5th if Evansville loses one of the three games against MSU, SIU, and Drake, because in a tie we might get the tiebreaker on SOS. If we get a 6 seed for St. Louis, it's looking like the 1st round matchup would be Indiana State, who's killed us in two games already (albeit both without Doyle). If we lost our only game at Arch Madness, we'd be 18-13 (16-13 against D1), with an RPI that might be below a cutoff. Don't forget that attendance is also probably part of the calculation when the C-tournaments put out their invites.

If Doyle is out until UNI (2/18), I wouldn't expect him to make a significant difference immediately coming back after missing a month and 8 games. We're currently 2-5 without Doyle (including the Southern Utah game he sat out), 12-5 with him (including the loss at SIU, where he was clearly hurting). Even with Doyle back for the game at Illinois State, that's a tough one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:24 pm 

I feel being a Loyola fan is constantly filled with 'what if's?'

This year, the big ones are: What if Milton was healthy all season (no torn labrum and no ankle injury)? And what if Marlon Jones qualified and became even a moderate contributor down low?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:18 pm 

If we don't qualify for a C-Tournament based on our play on the court, it's partly on the fault of the administrators (for the Marlon Jones fiasco and partly for our lousy schedule) and on the coaching staff (for our lousy schedule, our lack of height, and what would be an utter and incomprehensible collapse in Valley play - especially the winnable games like ISUr at home, SIU on the road, and if we lose to 1 of the 4 bottom dwellers we have left to play).

If we don't have the money to go to even a C-Tournament after this season, it's absolutely (to the point of immediate termination) the fault of the administrators...some of whom have quite the reputation on this board...

And quite frankly, if either event happens, Fr. G. MUST drill down to figure out what the hell is going wrong with an Athletic Department that he has poured so much money and resources into. He's a good guy and has done tremendous things for the university, but what kind of leader sits around watching a slew of bumbling idiots screw up his vision?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:14 pm 

Well Super duper , how do you REALLY feel about LUC's problem ?? Just kidding ?? While I do not disagree totally with what you say, I must take issue with--
--Our schedule was just right--except for the non Di1 games. We did just fine and did beat teams we would not have in years past--
--The loss of Milton and the toe of Earl cost us BIG TIME !! Without question in my mind, these losses disrupted the system--Last year and prior to then, we would have been walked upon --This year, not--Good bench but just not ready to really win. (Aside--this problem tho is helping us for next year.)
--Maybe the new AD can help cure the other problems you discuss--I hope so. At any rate, he can't hurt as the Jewish Mama says.

I really really hope Milton's re-evaluation signals GOOD news !! ANY WORD ???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:05 pm 

Its been about a month since the new AD arrived and from just a few instances I can tell you this guy will get it right.

Little things matter;

1. He is getting to know the fan base. They had a meet and greet at Ireland's and he went around and talked to the fans but mostly he listened and observed. After last game a number of us went down to the student cafeteria for some casual talk and he comes down to join us and to get to know us better; very personable;
2. He does not govern by fear. He is letting the staff prove themselves or not and they are responding. So he will have everyone on the same page;
3. He indicated that he will be involved in the scheduling and you will see an upgrade; probably a guarantee game or two plus some games against mid majors such as the MAC and A10;
4. At one of the games the ROTC honor guard came out for the traditional pre game ceremony and anthem. Then they left.
He noticed that they were very sloppy and were not following the proper protocols and passed the word through the appropriate channels that that was unacceptable and it better be done right and with the proper decorum or it would not be done at all. An attention to detail. How many people would notice that.
5. He expects the teams to play hard and to give an all out effort regardless of the score.

I was having a conversation with B after one of the games and the AD came by; he was very engaging and spent time talking about his family and life in upstate NY. He is a very retail oriented AD. He talked about the importance of raising money for athletics and indicated how committed he was to that. He will let his staff do the day to day and he will make sure the important things get addressed and receive priority. He will get the resources needed to get the job done including going to his superiors.

I am very pleased by this hiring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:12 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
4. At one of the games the ROTC honor guard came out for the traditional pre game ceremony and anthem. Then they left.
He noticed that they were very sloppy and were not following the proper protocols and passed the word through the appropriate channels that that was unacceptable and it better be done right and with the proper decorum or it would not be done at all. An attention to detail. How many people would notice that.

Thank goodness. They create such a long dead period where people just stand around watching them get ready, then march in, then march out. Drives me nuts. Couldn't agree more: do it right or don't do it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:19 pm 

Just to clarify, I don't really have a problem with the new AD. I don't think this slide is on him. When I mean administrators, I'm referring to...well I'll let swella come in with the fat jokes