It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:23 pm 

I kind of hate to keep doing this, but I'm a "history" guy, and going to bring it up again. The number of times we've had excellent half-seasons is... weird. And you don't really have to go back that far for comparisons.

2012-13: Started the season 10-3, with wins over Toledo, Mississippi State, at DePaul, and at Valpo (HL Champ). Had a double-digit lead over Youngstown State at home with the chance to go 11-3, and 2-0 in conference. Then we lost that YSU game on a last second shot, and finished out the season 15-16.

2009-10: Started 11-2, 2-1 in conference-- wins over Western Michigan, Bradley, San Francisco, and Milwaukee. Then went 3-14 to close out the season.

2004-05: Started season 3-12, 1-4 in conference in Whitesell's first year. Went 10-5 to close out season, including beating Ced Banks and UIC in the HL tournament to end his career, and a win at Evansville in the Bracket Buster.

1999-2000: Started 9-3, with wins over Kansas State, Western Michigan, Stephen F. Austin, Bradley, Drake, and Portland. Then went 5-11 the rest of the way.

SIU had a Jekyll and Hyde season last year, too. Started 4-11, 0-2 in conference, then went 10-8 the rest of the way, reaching the MVC Tournament semifinals. Indiana State was pretty bad in non-con this year, and now looks like they'll finish 3rd.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:34 pm 

JCT wrote:
I kind of hate to keep doing this, but I'm a "history" guy, and going to bring it up again. The number of times we've had excellent half-seasons is... weird. And you don't really have to go back that far for comparisons.

2012-13: Started the season 10-3, with wins over Toledo, Mississippi State, at DePaul, and at Valpo (HL Champ). Had a double-digit lead over Youngstown State at home with the chance to go 11-3, and 2-0 in conference. Then we lost that YSU game on a last second shot, and finished out the season 15-16.

2009-10: Started 11-2, 2-1 in conference-- wins over Western Michigan, Bradley, San Francisco, and Milwaukee. Then went 3-14 to close out the season.

2004-05: Started season 3-12, 1-4 in conference in Whitesell's first year. Went 10-5 to close out season, including beating Ced Banks and UIC in the HL tournament to end his career, and a win at Evansville in the Bracket Buster.

1999-2000: Started 9-3, with wins over Kansas State, Western Michigan, Stephen F. Austin, Bradley, Drake, and Portland. Then went 5-11 the rest of the way.

SIU had a Jekyll and Hyde season last year, too. Started 4-11, 0-2 in conference, then went 10-8 the rest of the way, reaching the MVC Tournament semifinals. Indiana State was pretty bad in non-con this year, and now looks like they'll finish 3rd.

You didn't eat enough burritos those seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:08 pm 

I was going back through LU's media guide from last year trying to find the last time LU started a season @ 13-4. I stopped when I saw the 85 team didn't do it. The collapses of those seasons are pretty close to this one but this team's record was a little better and it's happening in year 4 of a coach who hasd a less than stellar first 3 seasons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9