It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Race Day
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 am 

Saw this in the Trib. Sounds like a fun way to give the U some cash.
Saturday: Loyola Athletics hosts its Day at the Races at Arlington Park, beginning at noon. Tickets are $65 and include admission to Arlington Park, a daily racing guide, food and drink. To register for the outing, call 773-508-WOLF

Post subject: Re: Race Day
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 am 

The third race sounds interesting:

1. M.Graceable Glue

2. Grace Under ...Achiever

3. Dis-Grace

4. [G]Race to the Bottom

5. Do Not Jason to Bid Me Adieu

6. Blonde No More

7. swellafelon to the rescue

I'll let Brot handicap the race. He's excellent at it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:29 am 

The 7th race is filling up fast:

1. Jason Gardner's Gone

2. Michael Lewis Left

3. Rodell Davis Dumped

4. Rick Malnati Moved

5. Armon Gates Goodbye

6. TBA1

7. TBA2

8. TBA3

9. ExPorter Moser, Next?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 am 

Ive got SwellaFella pulling up the rear,,,, and you can take that anyway ya want

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 am 

There is more space available at this event now that Malnati, Gates, and Gardner and their families won't be there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm 

look for Matt Gordan to get his shot !!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm 

5353 wrote:
look for Matt Gordan to get his shot !!

I wouldn't mind that...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:12 pm 

Sorry, Swella--I am stil on the DL--My left wing will be looked at tomorrow by the surgeon--This entire mesds of me has weighed heavily on my 'capping skills !!

My comments on losing assts is that PM MUST know talent or he wpould not have had them on the staff--

The trick now is to quickly get LUC to the upper eschelon so the likes of NU will not be a so-called improvement.

Hate to lose these assts--but good assts grow on trees. So far PM has picked well--no reason why he should not do the same now.--
Tough business this. To win , you must have players--real players. See Thomas--not Paine et al.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

I think the problem with assistants is the single worst aspect keeping Loyola from establishing itself as a good program. I have no idea how much they're paid now, but ten years ago the men's basketball assistants were being paid a low salary even to establish a middle class lifestyle in small towns. It was nowhere near what a person needed to support a family in the city. That's why Scott Spinelli left for Nebraska; that's why Howard Moore left for Wisconsin just when things were looking up for the program; that's why several assistants got out of college sports altogether in the early days of the Whitesell regime-- for jobs in real estate, sales, etc. $45-55 K is an acceptable salary for a single man or woman trying to get a foothold in the field, but you can't raise a family on that in Chicago. When schools in smaller markets with bigger reputations come calling and offering $75k or more to be a middle or top assistant, this kind of thing is going to happen. Perhaps this raiding of our assistant staff is partly a result of the increased reputation from being in the MVC.

I was really encouraged at what the new Athletic Department regime did for many of the non-revenue sports in terms of making assistants full time who were formerly part time, and adding extra part time assistants. Good assistants make an enormous difference in recruiting, game management, scouting opposition, and teaching skills. The improvement has been shown demonstrably in our performance in non-revenue sports. But apparently, we're going to have to up our game (and compensation) a bit more in men's basketball to be able to hold on to some of these guys. This is really a vitally important issue. We're at a severe disadvantage in this area being in Chicago.