It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:02 pm 

One or both may make the jump to the NBA if they get a favorable evaluation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:06 pm 

Can't blame them for striking if the ironʻs hot. With all of the big name underclassmen expected to come out this year (ie half (or more) of the Kentucky team), and the limited number of rounds in the NBA draft, i still except them to come back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:08 pm 

Blake Schilb did it his junior year. As long as you don't hire an agent you retain your eligibility.

Frankly, I don't think either one of them is NBA material, but then again, I wasn't that high on Gordon Hayward either, when he was at Butler. So what do I know?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:30 pm 

I know I'm a WSU guy, but I think both will play in the NBA eventually. Baker has good size and athleticism and can shoot from anywhere. Needs to improve his PG skills but can play off ball at the next level. Fred is more athletic than he gets credit for. He doesn't have that crazy quickness you see, but he gets the job done and is a winner. Both will be back.

Ron, before the season started, was projected to be a first round pick this year, but I don't think he had quite the season that many expected. Not that it was bad, he is a Wooden All American. But I think he can help his case by coming back. I think Fred just needs to do what he's been doing. He's gotten a lot more NBA talk as the season went on. Before the season, few thought he'd get a chance.

I'm guessing a lot of Valley fans hope they leave.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:39 pm 

It will certainly be interesting and I will get on this board and apologize if I'm wrong. WSU is tremendously coached. Great movement away from the ball and tremendous fundamentals. It is a total pleasure to watch them play.

Neither Baker or Van Vleet are NBAers in my opinion, especially Van Vleet. I put Bakers chances of sticking more than 1 year as a bench player (which is still pretty good) at 10%. I place Van Vleet chances of sticking with a team at all at about 3%. I am also curious about the size comment re: Baker. Nice size for playing at WSU, but nothing special in the NBA. I don't see it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:53 pm 

There are a lot of players at Baker's size in the NBA. Most if not all of them can jump higher, shoot better and are a whole lot quicker. He is a super college player and does all the blue collar stuff. That does not translate all that well to the NBA. Am sure he can play overseas though. Van Fleet, again one of many capable of playing in the NBA. Also think he will head overseas as only a couple point guards will go Round 1 and maybe a couple more in Round 2. The odds are not good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:37 pm 

Baker isn't going to blow you away with his athleticism, but it's much better than you give him credit for. A 6'5" 220 pound PG is good size. That's assuming he continues to improve his handles. He's also got a great wingspan and even though his shot was off this year, he still shot 40% from deep. That'll go up next year. Funny how a lot of Shocker fans think he didn't play as well as we thought he would and he was still a Wooden All-American. I think with more help on the perimeter next year you'll see more from him. And with Cotton graduating, he may be the best defender on our team.

VanVleet I have more questions about, but he'll get a shot at some point and when that happens I think he'll stick. He doesn't wow you with quickness or anything, but his smarts and ability will get him a spot somewhere. I think both will be solid bench guys down the road and have decent careers.

And if all else fails they'll make bank in Europe if they want to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:28 am 

SubGod22 wrote:
Baker isn't going to blow you away with his athleticism, but it's much better than you give him credit for. A 6'5" 220 pound PG is good size. That's assuming he continues to improve his handles. He's also got a great wingspan and even though his shot was off this year, he still shot 40% from deep. That'll go up next year. Funny how a lot of Shocker fans think he didn't play as well as we thought he would and he was still a Wooden All-American. I think with more help on the perimeter next year you'll see more from him. And with Cotton graduating, he may be the best defender on our team.

VanVleet I have more questions about, but he'll get a shot at some point and when that happens I think he'll stick. He doesn't wow you with quickness or anything, but his smarts and ability will get him a spot somewhere. I think both will be solid bench guys down the road and have decent careers.

And if all else fails they'll make bank in Europe if they want to.

Baker is a great athlete. He hangs with the best of them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:34 am 

I am glad that Marshall is staying. We want great teams in the Valley. Requires us to step up and get the job done. PM has proven that he can recruit and that he can coach. You may not like his flamboyance but that comes with his style. He also has a real heart for people as could be seen with Jordan Hicks and his sick mother.
We got lucky in getting PM as a coach. He also works the Chicago media market well.
Baker and Van Vleet are excellent players. The NBA is an extremely tough place to make a team. Europe may be a better alternative but whatever I wish them well and hope they both play in the Valley next year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:07 am 

25 nails it ! All three should stay==Marshall is staying, the other two should as well. We at LUC have to beat the best if we want to be the best. This we will attempt to do--With our incoming BIGS--its all we lacked this past season--we stand a good chance of doing JUST that. What I am writing here is that Shockers are great and worthy opponents, but will have no lock on 1st place next season.

Both should stay. BTW, as an example, we had Alfredrick--He was one superb star 6' 5" or so --went in draft to San Antonio, I believe---Lasted NOT SO LONG !!

On the other hand , he will always be remembered as one of LUC's greatest. As with him, neither of the WSU stars will fit JUST YET. Wait a year--then go for it--They are now good but will be better next season --They will have a better chance then--BUT just a chance.