It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:20 am 

Saturday, January 2, 2016, 1:00 p.m.
Hulman Center, Terre Haute, Ind.

Since Greg Lansing was elevated to Indiana State head coach in 2010, the Sycamores have had an impressive run, compiling a 52-39 record in conference play, three top-three conference finishes, two seasons of 20+ wins overall, and an NCAA tournament berth. ISU’s worst conference record in the Lansing era was 8-10 in 2011-12, good enough for a CIT bid in a strong year for the MVC. But with their top two frontcourt players lost to graduation from their only under-.500 team in the Lansing era, that great run may have come to an end.

The Sycamores over-performed in conference play last season, but rode several late-game heroic performances in key games to an 11-7 conference record. Gone, though, are 6’9” forward Justin Gant, 6’10” center Jake Kitchell. Making matters worse, 6’8” junior forward TJ Bell-- expected to be an anchor in the frontcourt-- was lost for the year to an Achilles rupture in the offseason. The Sycamores (6-7 overall, 0-1 MVC) were predicted for sixth in the 2015-16 MVC Preseason poll, and have played more or less to expectations.

Indiana State is likely to start three guards (Brenton Scott, Devonte Brown, and Kristian Smith), and two forwards (Matt Van Scyoc and Brandon Murphy). Six-two senior Devonte Brown leads in scoring (13.9 ppg), followed by last year’s MVC Freshman of the year Brenton Scott (13.4 ppg), and 6’6” senior Kristian Smith (11.3). Brown leads the team in assists, but has six more turnovers than dimes. Smith plays more like a small forward and leads the team in rebounds at 6.2 per game. Scott leads the team in three pointers, three point shots, and three point percentage. Everett Cleamons, a 6’1” juco transfer from Vincennes, has started several games as a point guard, averaging 4.1 points and 5.3 rebounds (second most on the team). Cleamons has a good assist to turnover ratio, and also leads the team in steals.

Matt Van Scyoc, a 6’6” junior forward just eligible after a transfer from The Citadel, is playing at power forward, averaging 9.7 points and 3.9 boards per game. Van Scyoc takes the second most three-pointers on the team (5.3 attempts per game), and hits on 37.6%. Big-bodied sophomore Brandon Murphy (6’7”, 275 pounds) is starting at the forward/center position, although he gets about as much time per game as sometimes-starter Emondre Rickman, a 6’9” freshman forward/center. Murphy averages 5 points, 3.6 boards in about 14 minutes per game; Rickman chips in 2.6 points and 2.7 rebounds, and leads the team in blocks. Other bench players include 6’9” junior forward Niels Bunschoten (3.5 points), 6’6” senior guard Brandon Burnett (2.6 points).

Watching an ISU game usually means watching a lot of missed free throws. The Sycamores have made 300 trips to the line this season, and made only 197 (.657). They missed 15 free throws in their season-opening two-point loss to IUPUI, Hofstra missed 9 out of 21 free throws in their one-point loss to ISU, and the Sycamores put Evansville on the free throw line 41 times last time out (in a game they lost by eight). ISU is 95th out of 351 teams in getting to the line, ranks 272nd in free throw percentage, and is 26th worst in college basketball in putting opponents at the line.

Sixty-seven is apparently the magic number against Indiana State. When ISU’s opponents score 67 or more, the Sycamores are 1-7. When opponents score less than 67, ISU is 5-0. In fact, ISU’s best RPI win this year was against Hofstra, by the score of… 67-66.

Loyola game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... 102aaa.pdf

Indiana State game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... a_insu.pdf

TV/Streaming video: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id ... M_ID=15200)

Vegas line: Indiana State by 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:08 am 

A good chance for a road win here.---
---We must hit shots early and often
---We must play great Defense from the onset
---MILT must throw down the gauntlet immediately--HE must dictate as the leader he is--If he cannot or will not--Sit him
---I believe ISU is vulnerable to thee THREE--GO TURK Earl Rich !!!
---Forget about the bad loss to SIU

Prediction--PM coaches a nice road win --say 77-68 !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:21 am 

Fast track is the forecast. Heading down with The Calculator Lady to see the action up close.
The Sycamores want this one bad and will be gunning for us. They certainly will remember the thumping they got down at Archmadness.
The coach wanted them to remember it so bad, upon returning he made the combination to the locker door the final score of the game.
Should be a fun trip.
I will be curious to see if Jeff gets a desired start in place of Peterson who seemed to disappear after his slashing drive to the hoop was blocked in the SIU game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:09 am 

Yes, this is a big one for me. I said it in the season preview that this was a big one, given where the two teams were likely to finish in the standings. Indiana State hasn't done much to suggest they are any better than us-- they lost at home to IUPUI and Valpo. We SHOULD be good enough to beat them, talent-wise; the question is: Does our team have enough will and desire? They will be highly motivated to beat us after our Arch Madness game last year. We have not won a true road game this year after going 8-6 in road games last year. We have not won there since we joined the league-- they were much better than us in 2014, and Doyle was injured in 2015. If we lose, we're 0-2 before playing at Illinois State, who (I think) is probably tougher to beat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:31 am 

Help me out here guys...I am trying to be optimistic. How are we going to win? what is the formula? what do we need to do that we have not been doing? What is the news on the Adgel? will he be making a miracle entry like Northwesterns freshman Pardon?
Lets go Ramlers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:41 am 

We have players with talent ... what we are sorely missing is leadership. We are really missing CT and Joe C. I am not sure if anyone has the leadership skills ... someone needs to step up and take over, or this will be a long season. How about it Seniors! Go Ramblers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:45 am 

Nate I stand on what I wrote--
--Milt must get off early ---Turk and Earl MUST hit threes--We must play huge defense--and oh ! yes, get a few boards--

That should do it !! MILT is the key today EARLY !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:42 pm 

A loss here would officially put me in "panic mode." with 22-21 so far, it's not terrible, but we need to come out lights-out in the second half and put them away early. We are a far better team than these guys. A loss here would greatly concern me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:43 pm 

We need Jeff White in there against these guys. So far, he's got a +16 plus-minus in this game... That's insane...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:51 pm 

So... is Turk going to do anything?... Like... at all?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next