It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: TRIB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:44 pm 

That's cool. I think Loyola did something like that a couple years ago, but I'd bet good money the only people who attended were other athletes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:12 pm 

That sucks the athletes aren't more accessible. It's my biggest grip at Loyola culture that stewardship is someone else's job. Campus was much smaller in my day but we tried to include anyone that wanted to hangout to come along. Athletes who think they are a cut above or too cool will have a rude awakening soon enough when the playing days are over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:26 pm 

This year may be the exception but I have found that this team and this bunch of players to be very friendly outgoing and inclusive.
I had the opportunity to have lunch with the team and to talk to many of them in the hotel lobby on several road trips.
I think in part this is because of Coach Moser who has fostered a culture of acting like a gentleman and being respectful.
I also know that the Coach cares a great deal about the players and goes to great lengths to prepare the players for life after college basketball.
This year's group of seniors will "all walk across the stage at the May/June graduation".
There is also a great group of parents supporting their sons. I have seen and talked to many of them at the road games and last year in particular at Arch Madness.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:43 pm 

From what I've been sent and what I've seen, the team and players have done a lot to reach out to students to try and get them to come to games. I don't fault them at all. But, lets face it, there is still a problem. The student center is literally in the same building as the Gentile now. I have walked out of games, seen the student center full, and heard those seated ask "Where are all these people coming from? Was there a game tonight?" Most just don't pay attention, because they just don't care. In their minds, they don't have a reason to.

And it's really no different at Loyola than other schools. Take U of I. On a relative scale, many of their students and alumni have tuned athletics out over the last number of years. One of my best friend's was once one of the the heads of the alumni organization for U of I in St. Louis, with a lot of resources, but eventually he just gave up on the effort, because he felt they gave up on him in terms of their effort. He has told me he won't lift a finger for them until they start showing they are serious (I've cleaned that up, he was a little more vulgar in his verbiage). I have other friends who work in advertising in Champaign and have heard of revenues plummeting.

Or places like Bradley. When they are winning, they sell out the civic center in Peoria. These days, they'd be lucky to sell out their campus arena... which is about the size of the Gentile.

Or Wichita...You think Wichita State would be selling out if they hadn't made the NCAA tournament in 30 years?

Or, hitting close to my heart, SIU....I was at SIU 10+ years ago, even posting on Ramblermania, when SIU was selling out games...and winning A LOT. It was an amazing atmosphere in the arena and on campus. In the years since, the team went downhill, and they stopped winning. Guess what happened?...attendance at games went downhill at the same rate. This year, SIU had big crowds again. Why? Because they were winning. Win, and they will come. IMHO, that's the quickest solution.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:15 am 

Follow the attendance numbers, and you'll see there has been a huge letdown. I remember going to a game against Butler (January 2010) at the old configuration Gentile, and there was 4372 there. We were 12-5 at the time (3-4 in conference), and starting our annual collapse once conference play began. Butler was #20, and this was going to be the first year they went to the Final Four, but no one thought that was possible at the time. We lost 48-47, after three shots at the basket in the closing seconds clanged off the rim. I think it was the loudest I ever remember hearing Gentile.

The only three times we've had that many in the Gentile Arena since was for a game against Kansas State in Dec. 2010 and the 2014 NCAA Men's Volleyball tournament semifinal and final. That includes games against DePaul, Mississippi State, Wichita State, etc. Last year we failed to draw 2000 for a weeknight conference game against #11 Northern Iowa. The fact is, we routinely used to draw much more in the old Gentile, in part because the tickets were so affordable. We used to average 2300 or so instead of the 1850 we're (supposedly) pulling now. Under Whitesell, his Basketball Operations assistant used to spend part of his time helping to build attendance by visiting dorms and student organizations, and it was largely successful.

The fact is, a great student attendance section helps build an engaged alumni/fan base. The alumni/fan base is also built by getting a critical mass of people at the games. That means a section that's largely affordable... school/student groups... neighborhood outreach... church groups... etc. A broad-based and critical mass of attendance makes the games an EVENT, and an EVENT attracts some of its own crowd. A larger crowd makes timeout and halftime events more entertaining, and helps motivate the players to work harder before a large crowd, etc. It works as a virtuous cycle, one aspect improving another aspect, which draws more people, which attracts more interest, which helps winning, which draws more interest.

I don't know how many more games we could have won if we had a bigger, louder attendance. But having been to one of our lowest-attendance games this year-- 1189 must have been counting employees, athletes, officials, security personnel and all the no-shows at the Cleveland State game-- an empty building doesn't tend to generate much energy on the part of the players. Our lowest attendance home game this year was 1128 against Missouri State, which we lost by two points. We had 1386 for the one-point loss against Bradley, and certainly about 250 of them were Bradley fans.

The fact is, we are 4-1 in home games with over 1700 in attendance, and the one loss was the Evansville game were we made a 19-point 2nd half comeback and lost by one point. The wins were UTSA, Creighton, Drake, and Indiana State. In home games with fewer than 1700 people, we're 5-5, and that includes losses to the likes of Cleveland State (RPI 253), Missouri State (RPI 220), and Bradley (RPI 295). The conference losses to Missouri State and Bradley were by a combined three points after leading for much of the 2nd half. If we had won JUST those three games, we'd have an RPI around 165, we'd be tied with UNI for 5th place (with the tiebreaker), and our overall record would be 16-11.

I'm glad we've hired a person to oversee improvement of game-day and attendance. I was getting ready to make a proposal to be the person to do that when I heard the hire was made. It's going to take a lot of shoe leather, time on the phone, Tweeting, Instagrams, paid advertising, new ideas, incentives, attractions, and collaboration. And it's going to take some time to reverse the downward momentum.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:10 am 

Dont know if this is new marketing or old but they are really pushing the WS game. Good to see. I just received a nice email with pictures of all 4 seniors. The promo was done by a group called neuLion which does some big time work like NBA LeaguePass, BTN2Go etc,.
Also thinking we should start to market ourselves as kind of Ivy League......with our Academic/Athletic standing in the top 3, getting ranked as a top News and WOrld Report top 100 .....NU has really turned things around in football and basketball by emphasizing what their education and alum can do for them long term. I think with the new campus etc.....this could be what sets us apart.......Are any of the other schools in the MVC top 100 schools?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 am 

It's a bit tough since not all MVC schools are apples to apples.

For the National rankings:
Loyola - #99
ISUred - #149
SIU - #153
ISUblue - Rank Not Published
WSU - Rank Not Published

For the Regional rankings (Midwest):
Drake - #3
Bradley - #4
Evansville - #8
UNI - #18
MSU - #64