It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TRIB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:40 am 

Teddy Greinsteen is gonna have an article on what else? WHy college basketball is not flurishing in Illinois.....no Illinois teams in the top 100rpi...He interviews Coach Moser, and coach talks about how hard it is at LU to recruit when attendance is so poor. Made me wonder if Coach is starting to think it cant happen at LU ?

Post subject: Re: TRIB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:58 am 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... olumn.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:28 pm 

Criminy !! It just might be an easy thing to fill Gentile. The solution is a phony-for lack of a better word- BUT LUC should canvass the area High and elementary schools , charge a dollar , get them there (Parents) for the youngsters, the older ones can drive--Do some real promos at the schools if allowed by them--but get them there. Brutal fact is that this LUC student body appears to be a lost cause--so Fageddabout 'em !
The team is now basically rising a tad, is now entertaining, but our students appear to be brain-dead. BUT sheep that they seem to be, if we keep winning and playing our new up tempo. they will wonder what all the excitement is and bah !! bah !! bah !!, they will show up.

If LUC makes it a fun thing, more will show as well as the older folks !!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:43 pm 

As a current student it frustrates me how little people care about sports in general on campus. I go to just about every sporting event I can in Gentile yet you see a few of the same faces and no one else. Even with the men's volleyball team who has had great success has a low student turn out to any of their matches.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:55 pm 

JK....what is your explanation for the low student turn out? Do you think coaches and players have made an attempt to reach out to students?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:07 pm 

They will post flyers all over campus and in the dining halls advertising the games for the week. Before bigger games they will sometimes send out emails to the entire student body inviting them to come. So there is some effort on part of the university yet there isn't ever any follow up. Take the Creighton game for example, it was big because we replaced them in the valley so there was a bit of a push to try and get students to come. That was a win that meant a lot, yet if you did not go to the game or actively follow Loyola sports would not know what happened.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:21 pm 

JK...suggestions?????? I will say this, it makes the whole atmosphere better when students are there in good numbers having a good time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:27 pm 

I would agree the games are much more fun if there is a student crowd who is into the game. They have tried handing out t-shirts to students before but they will usually pick up a t-shirt and then just leave. I would suggest trying to get highlight videos of the games more out in the open to give a glimpse of what they could see if they were to go to a game. Also when looking at Loyola not a lot of the materials that I received had information talking about sports. So maybe in mailings to prospective students advertise it more that way so that students are aware of the Athletics before they even get onto campus as opposed to trying to reel them in once they get here as that is not working.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:36 pm 

thanks...some good thoughts......maybe the new Director of Marketing will reach out to you guys......Just curious how bout competition between dorms?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:15 pm 

jkreiner wrote:
Also when looking at Loyola not a lot of the materials that I received had information talking about sports. So maybe in mailings to prospective students advertise it more that way so that students are aware of the Athletics before they even get onto campus as opposed to trying to reel them in once they get here as that is not working.

That's a good point. It relates to Moser's quote in the article. You can't fake it.

We're glad that you are at the games!