It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: TRIB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:21 am 

One thing I think would also go a far way into helping student attendance is the athletes reaching out and being more involved. Why do people love Cal and want to see him in? Part of it is he cheers loudly from the bench, but it's also because they know him personally. Joe Smalzer would personally invite people to games. He would hand them a flyer, a schedule, and talk to them. I think people showed up because of this.

One of my good friends is the President of UGA's SAAC, and was the female student representative for the SEC at the NCAA meetings. I asked her what are ways to help get student involvement. Her response was having the athletes put on "events." Maybe they table before big games, hand out flyers around campus, etc. The other thing she mentioned was the use of SAAC. I know Loyola had one in 2012-2013, but they didn't seem to do much, and there hasn't been any update on that on the Loyola website since 2012-2013. Did we get rid of that or are they just that invisible?

I think from my perspective, if you want to help attendance immediately, the athletes need to make relationships with people, invite them to games, and be out there a little more. I know they have alot on their plates already, but it can be little things like acknowledging someone after a game, or inviting a classmate, that makes a difference. I think small steps like these can help out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:15 am 

It does little good to report what we did "Back in the day" but here goes anyway !! Granted LUC was a different school then--Commuter vis a vis Boarding back in 1947 when I started--But gosh ! We came from all over Chicago--Me, from Oak Park. We packed Alumni Hall--got our fair share of head bumps while sitting in the stands under second deck. IT was THE THING to do--not the bumps, but cheering on Jack Kerris and the rest . If we had late classes on Campus , we stayed for the game. If at the Stadium on certain Tuesdays and Saturdays we were there en masse. CRIPES !! LUC is now a boarding school and these sheep cannot migrate four hundred yards or so???
When you get right down to it, Athletics IS a student activity mainly for Students and Alumni. If they cannot or will not go to the events, why have them ???
I venture to say , if we did suspend Athletics, LUC would disappear into the Lake. And then what ?? The sheep truly would bleat and moan about what has happened.

Guys, in my time, I rarely missed a game--Lor and I loved them. There were plenty of other things to do--maybe not as many as now BUT LUC Hoops was the most important for our entertainment--THIS IS WHAT WE DID !! Now the sheep just lie around their dorms bleating and texting .

We have a team that is trying--a Coach that is at his level and also trying darn hard.

It might be well to think about being like the U of Chgo , but on the north side.

A sad commentary, this !! But sad , mostly for you great guys and Gals !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm 

Great point about athletes being involved. Every time I'm able to talk to LU athletes I remind them how important it is for them to know their classmates.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:05 pm 

I would never attempt to correct my great friend, Brot. But I must ask for a clarification in the print. Did you pack Alumni Hall (which was DePaul's Gym) or Alumni Gym on Sheridan Road where the Ramblers played some of their games?
As you say Brot, "just funnin' ya!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 pm 

Actually 25, I am deadly serious about this. FTR , I have NEVER been on DePewl's campus, much less their GYM. It must have been depressing while our ALUMNI GYM , Hall whatever ROCKED !! It WAS FUN !! No 0ne had to beg anybody to go. THIS is what I cannot understand, except of course when school is NOT in session,\.

I venture to say if Grandson Bradley chooses LUC, he did get accepted and did receive a nice offer, he will be at the GENTILE a ton of times--as often as his studies permit. He is that kind of young man.

This entire thing plainly sickens me, as you can tell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:37 pm 

To be fair, Alumni could only fit about, what, 2,000 (?) vs. over 4,500 for the Gentile. Gentile is the size of a big high school gym, but Alumni was smaller than most high school gyms.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:27 am 

Grad-- I believe it held 2150--Tiny by any standard BUT we packed the place game after game. Gosh it was tiny !!---All bleachers. Of course the Jesuits almost ALL of them lined the upper deck ( Indoor track).
-- Funny thing--Creighton's Gym in those days --before they went downtown--was a tad larger , BUT it must have had the same Architect--Weird !!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:02 am 

Talk about getting student athletes to mingle with the student body. Great idea at NU....They also do a great job of connecting athletes with alumni

http://www.nusports.com/news/2016/2/18/ ... 64241.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:30 pm 

That's an awesome idea!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 pm 

When my son's band played after a Lawrence B-ball game they would get 500 students to the game and the show after in the campus tavern. I think the school has 1800 kids