It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:51 am 

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:00 p.m.
Gentile Arena, Chicago, Ill.

With three straight 30+ point victories in their last three games, the Wichita State Shockers have locked up their third straight MVC regular season title with plenty of breathing room. Yet of the past three titles, this one might have been the most difficult, as the Shockers dropped TWO (Horrors!!) regular season conference games, including one at home to break their 43-game home winning streak. Although most teams in college basketball could only wish for such a record, the Shockers have lost seven games overall so far in the 2015-16 season-- more than the past two full seasons combined.

Most of WSU’s “struggles” this season came against top 50 teams when All American point guard Fred Van Vleet was battling a hamstring injury in late November. Since returning to the lineup, WSU is 19-3, with the only losses coming in overtime at Seton Hall, at Illinois State (after leading by double-digits at halftime) and against Northern Iowa (breaking the aforementioned home winning streak).

In case you expect the Shockers to have a let-down against Loyola just because they have the #1 seed in the conference locked up, you’re likely mistaken. Fred Van Vleet plays especially well at Gentile Arena, only 90 miles from his hometown of Rockford. In his two previous games played at the Joe, he’s 11 for 11 from the field, 1 for 1 on threes, and 13 of 14 on free throws. His numbers against the Ramblers in Chicago-- averaging 18 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists-- are about 35-40% higher than his season averages.

Senior All American Ron Baker leads the team in both points and rebounds with 13.8 ppg and 4.8 rpg. Senior guard/forward Evan Wessel, and sophomore forwards Shaq Morris and Zach Brown fill out the starting lineup. Newcomers Markis McDuffie and Connor Frankamp get the most time off the bench. Graduate senior and Cleveland State transfer Anton Grady and sophomore Rashard Kelly add depth to the frontcourt. They’re an experienced, deep, disciplined, and well-coached team that is never unprepared.

If the Shockers have any vulnerability, the conference losses at ISUr and against UNI had a commonality with some of the Shockers’ non-con losses. When WSU’s threes aren’t falling, they seem to take more of them, and settle primarily for three-point shots. WSU shot 7 for 31 behind the arc against Northern Iowa and 6 for 27 against Illinois State, and managed only 50 and 53 points in those two games. They had similar outings against USC and Alabama in losing efforts, and also against UNLV in a too-close-for-comfort 6-point home win. The Shockers also need a significant turnover advantage for their offense to click. They’re averaging fewer than 6 turnovers per game in the last three contests—all 30-point blowouts-- compared to their opponents’ 17.3 in those games.

The Ramblers are winless against Wichita State since joining the MVC, the only team in the league Loyola hasn’t beaten at least once. As the Ramblers honor four seniors—Devon Turk, Jeff White, Montel James, and Earl Peterson-- in what is almost certainly their final game at Gentile Arena, it would be a great night to break that streak.

Loyola game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... 223aaa.pdf

Wichita State game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... a_wich.pdf

TV/Streaming video: Comcast SportsNet Plus

Vegas odds: Shockers by 12.5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:59 am 

I think that's the closest spread I've seen in a while. I'm glad you guys have been playing better of late, but I'm sad that you get us for SR night. Our guys have been focused since the embarrassments from a couple weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:35 am 

SubGod22 wrote:
I think that's the closest spread I've seen in a while. I'm glad you guys have been playing better of late, but I'm sad that you get us for SR night. Our guys have been focused since the embarrassments from a couple weeks ago.

Agreed, and one of the biggest changes, I've seen in the last 3 games is that they are no longer settling for 3s. They seem to be really attacking the basket. The game against MSU was a dunk fest. Loyola is way better defensively than the last 3 teams we have faced though, so I'm curious to see if that will continue.

Post subject: !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:48 am 

OK , we are "just" 12 point dogs. BUT the game Must and Will be played. Our guys MUST be ready for Marshall's gang to come out blazing at the start. IF and it is a HUGE "if" , we weather this early onslaught, we WILL have a chance of an UPSET--Yes, that means a win ! It can be done but only if we do well early.
--Our relentless second half in games has won for us--
--We are NOT helpless on offense--Turk, Milt , Earl et al of our 'nine" can and will hit threes--
----Montel, then may get free 'neath the hoop.

We had NO chance early in the year, but when PM went away from " hold the ball so they cannot score" , we started WINNING
Gang, it is NOT a hopeless task albeit a daunting one.

GO RAMBLERS !! RUN !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:58 am 

OK !! For all us "Far away" guys and GAL, we ARE on ESPN 3 this evening. As Longshot used to say when she caught some dish or something that fell or she dodged something---" PfeuffFF, That was a close one, Holy God !!!!" ...... I shall be watching !!

go Ramblers !! Run !!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:33 am 

Stickboy46 wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:

Agreed, and one of the biggest changes, I've seen in the last 3 games is that they are no longer settling for 3s. They seem to be really attacking the basket. The game against MSU was a dunk fest. Loyola is way better defensively than the last 3 teams we have faced though, so I'm curious to see if that will continue.

I'm not expecting another 30 point game by any means. And admit I haven't been able to see much of LU play lately. If our guys continue to be aggressive and stop settling for threes as they have been, I believe there are few teams in the country that can stop us with how we're playing. Maybe I'm a little too excited about where we are, but I could see another 15-20 point game. Time will tell how the Ramblers respond when we hit an early run. If they fight back and don't let us extend it to a big lead early, it could be interesting.

But that response will dictate how the game goes early.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:29 pm 

Last game the Bigs were the difference.....I am guessing that WS will pound it inside again. and we will try and double team the post when the ball is there ....and if the bigs for WS can pass the ball ....we will be in trouble.....but if the panic a little and LU gets the ball out and running for some easy hoops maybe we have a game. I also would not be surprised to see a little more of Kirby and even ALdridge tonight. Or maybe we gamble a little and trap outside with our length and Jeff WHite and Tyson Smith alternate keeping tabs on Van Fleet. PM is a good defensive coach and I will be interested to see what he comes up with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:31 pm 

Don't call the over the back on WSU player on rebound, but by all means call the ticky tack touch foul on James against Van Vleet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:38 pm 

They've called 3 fouls on us on rebounds....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:43 pm 

I can't tell...is Larry Farmer coaching us again?