It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:52 pm 

Great report from Nate. Thanks.

Big Joe had a scary tweet last night that was a little disturbing...

So apparently, Wichita State knew exactly what play we were going to run as they got back on defense. That explains a lot. They must spend an amazing amount of time scouting and watching tape. On the coaches' weekly interview, Marshall said he watched the Loyola/Indiana State game to scout us-- that double overtime game would have had just about every possible offensive and defensive play we've got.

Yeah, I've noticed their fan hubris more this year. I think it's because they had some difficulties with Van Vleet out, and they feel like they're a much better team than they're being given credit for. They are, really, but it's at a fever pitch right about now when it affects whether they'll get an at large in case they falter in St. Louis. Also, that kind of behavior seems to build on itself, when the sense of entitlement increases and fans try to "outbid" each other with ever-more mean spirited put-downs of the other teams. A lot of us saw the same kind of thing develop over a longer period with Butler. I thought it was kind of sad that a few people on their game thread tried to moderate the venom spew, but they were outnumbered and/or attacked as being insufficiently genuine fans.

So on we go to Drake, with a large chunk of our fate hanging on the balance between Missouri State/SIU and Indiana State/Bradley.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:27 pm 

To Natey !! My entire philosophy IS Run and Gun WITH DEFENSE !! I maintain THAT WHEN WE STARTED TO RUN and DEFEND WE STARTED TO WIN.
I do not wish to convey that I am a proponent of the Westhead way---Far from it. WE must score AND defend.

Last evening we were beaten by a better team --a team whose level we SHOULD and must attain. No reason why we cannot do this. Can PM and the LUC Admin as set up now, do this ?? Can we be like X or GTN ?? Absolutely--If not, It will be a tragic waste of resources !!

Is PM the Coach to do this ?? Maybe--Maybe not. Our recruits arriving in the next two years will determine this. Scoring and shot blocking BIGS !!

IF we were telegraphing our plays to WSU, THAT in itself is a sad commentary on us. If true FIX IT !!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:45 pm 

Brot...I think you have been right on that our turnaround this year has been because we have sped things up....however against WS which you also were right on when you said they were the better team......each possession matters plus you want them to have to defend and wear out a little hopefully effecting their offense as well. Last night we were going so fast and playing so much one on one I dont think WS really had to waste much energy on defense......plus we struggle to rebound against them ....makes it tough to get the break going successfully. I think when UNI beat them the score was in the 50s. as well as the ISU win

AS for plays I dont think we run that many that PM calls. There is a play to try and get Turk a 3....A play for Peterson on an ally oop...A high low off a high set and Milton seems to be able to go one on one whenever he wants.

WS fans I ran into were nice but seemed aloof and dumbfounded by the Loyola Experience

Also I received a thanks for going to the game with a fan survey attached....maybe the new Marketing guy is already at work!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:51 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
WS fans I ran into were nice but seemed aloof and dumbfounded by the Loyola Experience

Care to expand on that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:52 pm 

We are going to have to deal with it until we start selling out our gym. At least they are loud and cheer.

It sucks that so many students only come to the big games when we are more likely to lose.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:11 pm 

I was always of the belief that you, unfortunately, need to buy their loyalty.

I don't think it would be too difficult to put together a program where students need to be present at games to earn points which can be put towards any number of things. Don't tie it, at first, to coming in the gates. Do something where they need to text or enter a code which is given at some point during the game. Switch it up. The last thing you want to do is get all these people in the gate for like 10 minutes and then they leave.

Make sure that there is free pizza at the end of the game up top in that "party" section. Partner with local businesses for promotions. When I was at the end of my undergrad, Chipotle just came into the area and they had a deal where, if Loyola scored 100 points, you get a free burrito. They'd give out cards at the end of the game. Now, 100 points is way too much for Porter's style, but come up with something. 10 made 3-pointers...something.

Tie the accrued points into a year-long competition. At Notre Dame, residence halls have competitions against each other. Devise a program that rewards them for their participation in various LU activities. Make sporting events part of that. You show up and check in and give your dorm a point.

After a few years of developing some sort of support system, presumably people will want to come on their own (because hopefully we are winning). But right now, there is no incentive so people go do any number of other things. This isn't like being in a cornfield in the middle of Iowa. We have to compete with so many different activities. Bring them in and make them go "Wow, these games are actually fun!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:57 pm 

GoR.... love the dorm competition and the free burrito etc ideas...you should send them to AD Watson. Course you dont want them booing if you score 99 and miss that free throw....how bout 5 brothers gives free fries for each victory

I dont know the WS fans all said Hi when I said Hi but did not seem interested in engaging in conversation other than Fred Van Fleets contingent who I was in the elevator with. They just kind of stared and walked like they were backing out of a rattle snake den....Kind of OK lets all be quiet and it all will be over soon. Not unfriendly but not really friendly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:36 pm 

After reading many of the posts already up on the board, here's my take. I found the Shocker fans to be Shocker fans and see the game from their eye, just as I do see the game from the Ramblers side. Give them credit for traveling to support the team. It is impressive.
For example, the Richardson foul looked different from different angles.. Don't forget he had just missed an offensive opportunity at the other end too and could have been seen as taking out his frustrations at the other end.
The play was at the Shocker end of the floor, and of course they would see it that way...
Conversely, it seems that as a Rambler fan, our guys do not get the calls we should and we get called for stuff that seems overly tacky and extremely non relevant to the actual play. It may be an MVC old school bias, who knows... I guess when we are really good, and that will be soon, this stuff will not be an issue. I recall when MJ and the Bulls were hated in other cities because they, he especially, got all the calls..... In NBA terms, he earned that right.
Same thing here.
As to the game, the Wichita full court press was interesting as they fronted the in bounds in a token fashion and quickly turned their backs to look for possible inbounds pass receivers. Baker almost got one in the second half. Moving the big guy up for a quick catch and pass worked well, but was scary to hope they did not put the ball on the floor. I understand Marshall's need to be relentless, the whole game as he and his team is thinking beyond this game. We would do the same. It's this year or never for Vanvleet and Baker. Vanvleet, by the way seemed to me to be an ultimate player,
in control and not needing the limelight, just doing the right things at the right time. Enough Shocker stroking.
I agree with everyone that Earls injury really took the gas out of us. It was an ugly fall and I hope he is not seriously hurt.
I know these guys will not quit and fully expect them to rebound against Drake. They have rebounded from every previous setback.
The senior night was really nice to see. Gave me some perspective on the fact that there is so much going on in each players life. Also made me appreciative of the players families. It is obvious how much pride and concern they must have for these guys behind the scenes.
One more time with Kudos to Kiki, Montel, Earl and Devon. I have really really enjoyed watching them play. They represented us well on and off the court. I'm glad PM found them and that they chose to become Ramblers.
On to Drake. Ill have one eye on the game and another on the scoreboard.......
Go Ramblers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:17 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
GoR.... love the dorm competition and the free burrito etc ideas...you should send them to AD Watson. Course you dont want them booing if you score 99 and miss that free throw....how bout 5 brothers gives free fries for each victory

I sent off an email to the AD today. We'll see of anything comes of it (most likely not)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:34 am 

GoR....good for you....Hope you get a response. My hope is that NOw that AD Watson has had a little more than ayear and hired a Marketing guy and got the lay of the land.. getting his people in place..... convinced the University what is necessary........next year he will roll out a brand new....something????? but new and improved. I also wrote to the band director and drum corp leader to say 'nice job" they seemed very appreciative.