It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:09 pm 

Ram 2011 says in past years we lose this game !! How true ! But this is NOW and we win it ! Our team--a real team knows they are good--confident not cocky--
In past years we would have lost then gone out and froze our feet or something !! This team better than the one two years ago has the same dedication !!

Milton is truly a star among many of the Ramblers !!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:30 pm 

UIC ran the weave for pretty much the entire game. I'm generally not a fan of the weave because all it accomplishes most of the time is to take 20 seconds off the shot clock.

But their weave worked time and again to open up driving lanes for their quick guards. Moser didn't counter like he has done in years past by having the defenders aggressively hedge on the switch. I wonder if the hedge is a victom of the new rules interpretation which is designed to allow freer movement by the offensive player?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:33 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
Did you notice the constant attempts to drive to the basket by UIC? Constant cutting to see if they could find a lane to the basket.... Defending that and our lack of height will be challenging going forward. Don't think everyone we play won't review and study today's scenario.
Quote:

Yeppers...Great Win.....gutsy team.....but have some holes......There a couple of teams in MVC who have some quick gaurds ala UIC.....and I do not think there are any growth spurts left in those guys. So their formula for winning the rest of the way will be interesting. ALso concetning to me today was only 4 points from the bench. Coach can get tentative when he does not trust the bench....he is going to need to get past this....as the Valley is gruelling.
But ITS SWELLA FELLA....ITS GONELLA......RAMBLERS

Watching their game vs Depaul, it seemed the "drive and dish" offense was their m.o.. I'm happy we survived that, and it doesn't seem to be what MVC schools typically run.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:43 pm 

Well, we MUST be prepared for any new MVC wrinkles==We will be. Only real problem of course is our relative "smallness"--Today we were KILLED on the boards, but we still won !! Coaching and talent !!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:57 pm 

Anyone else notice that our game against UIC isn't even listed on the realtimerpi.com site? That's my go-to (free) reference for rpi rankings, but I obviously can't trust it anymore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:07 am 

01grad wrote:
Anyone else notice that our game against UIC isn't even listed on the realtimerpi.com site? That's my go-to (free) reference for rpi rankings, but I obviously can't trust it anymore

I am a firm believer in Warren Nolan. Go here for a start: http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/rpi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:05 am 

strength of schedule is killing us. Even though it appears that we made efforts to improve that this year there are factors beyond our control in terms that some teams that we thought would be ranked higher do not perform. It will probably not get much better as there are not many high ranked MVC teams. However Oral ROberts lost by one to Creighton....oh for two more points.

Having watched UIC last night.....seems to me DEP will be sucking hind tit (as we say out here in the country) in CHicago behind LU, NU, and UIC. I can hear the echoes in their new stadium.......as Boggie said in Casablanca " we'll always have Paris"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:47 am 

natetheskate wrote:
strength of schedule is killing us. Even though it appears that we made efforts to improve that this year there are factors beyond our control in terms that some teams that we thought would be ranked higher do not perform. It will probably not get much better as there are not many high ranked MVC teams. However Oral ROberts lost by one to Creighton....oh for two more points.

Having watched UIC last night.....seems to me DEP will be sucking hind tit (as we say out here in the country) in CHicago behind LU, NU, and UIC. I can hear the echoes in their new stadium.......as Boggie said in Casablanca " we'll always have Paris"

Eli Cain is a really good player, but otherwise DePaul is a wreck. And they're relatively senior-heavy, if you can believe it. Two of the seniors on their roster have fathers coaching them. And their budget is MASSIVE, nearly double the next highest program in the state, Illinois. For several years, they had the highest budget in all of college basketball. Purnell was making $2.8 million, they they re-hired Leitao, reportedly over Bobby Hurley and Bryce Drew. They currently have two kids on the roster whose fathers are on the coaching staff. Dollar for dollar, they have to be the absolute worst team in all of college basketball.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:51 am 

Super late to the post game party here after a busy weekend.

Happy to get a come from behind win; while I would have preferred a blowout, good teams need wins like these. Really happy our guys kept their heads up, kept fighting and didn't fold. They had several opportunities where it looked like nothing was going there way but they kept scrapping (Ben's missed lob to Aundre or Claytons phantom foul while on the ground seemed like a time teams in the past would just let frustration takeover).

Big time game for Donte, he's proven time and again when he's locked in things will just snowball and he can takeover for stretches of games (I remember he hit three 3's last year against Indiana State in a 2 minute stretch). If he can bring the kind of energy he's shown throughout conference play this season we'll be in great shape.

Good effort first half, second half got real sloppy. I was worried about UIC because of their quick explosive guards and length. Ben and Clay are solid athletes, with great fundamentals/intangibles; but UIC's young Canadian guards are next level athletes. Overall though our guys got the stops and made the plays when needed, their maturity/grit/leadership is huge.

We got destroyed on the glass, I don't know if there is much we can do about that until next year when we get more size + Chastain back.

Cam Satterwhite had a tough game offensively but i loved his defensive presence; by my count he tipped at least 5 passes and was involved in a few steals. He'll be a good one down the road.

Another game in which we rode our starters. I'm concerned that Cam was the only bench player that got over 10 minutes. I'm not sure if Bruno's ankle is still bothering him (he had an injury mentioned on the last broadcast), but I would have liked more minutes out of him as well as Vlatko and Tyson just to add some size/fresh legs. For what it's worth though, UIC also road their starters so it just may be the result of a coaching chess match mixing and matching players.

A wins a win, and it was definitely a fun one. We also retained Feinstein's top 25 vote for the week!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:00 pm 

Blers wrote:
A wins a win, and it was definitely a fun one. We also retained Feinstein's top 25 vote for the week!

And we moved up from 41st to 38th :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next