It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:28 am 

Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:00 p.m.
Hulman Center, Terre Haute, Ind.

Indiana State is probably the best team in the country to go 1-8 to start off their conference season. The Sycamores were picked to finish sixth in the MVC Preseason Poll, with three returning starters from last year. In early December, they upset #15 Butler 72-71 at the Hulman Center. The win over the Big East co-leader came just two weeks after a two-point loss to #21 Iowa State and a three-point loss to Stanford. The Sycamores also won on the road at Mid-American West co-leader Ball State, and at Utah State.

And yet, Indiana State is tied for last in the league at 1-8. Four of ISU’s MVC losses have come in overtime or by five points or less, including their last game at the MVC front-runner, Illinois State. The Sycamores led for most of the second half of their 71-66 loss at Illinois State and were tied with less than a minute to play. And through the first nine games of the conference season, ISUb has already played both of its home and road games against three of the top four teams from the conference preseason poll. So this is a dangerous team, most likely angry and seeking retribution after their dismal first half performance in conference play.

The Trees are led in scoring by super-quick 6’1” junior guard Brenton Scott, a 2nd team MVC performer last season, who averages 17.0 points per game—second in the league. Although he puts up gaudy numbers, he usually takes a lot of shots to get there. Scott leads the MVC in three point attempts by a wide margin and also leads the league in total field goal attempts. He’s taken just about 25% of his team’s total field goal attempts on the season, and both his two-point and three-point field goal percentage is down from last year. Joining Scott in the backcourt is another 6’1” guard Everett Clemons. Both Scott and Clemons are listed at 6’1”, yet they each average 5.6 rebounds per game, leading their team and ranking 12th and 13th respectively in the league. Clemons scores an average of 9.4 points per game, leads the team with 38 steals and 5.1 assists per game, and rarely shoots from three-point territory.

In the frontcourt are 6’6” senior forward Matt Van Scyoc, 6’9” senior forward Niels Bunschoten, and 6’8” center T.J. Bell. Bunschoten and Bell started against Illinois State, but sometimes the Sycs will start 6’4” sophomore guard Laquarious Page and 6’7” center Brandon Murphy. Van Scyoc leads the league in made threes with 50, ranks second on the team in points per game at 9.7, and doesn’t take many shots from inside the arc. Bell quit the team after ten games, and then asked to be—and was-- reinstated two weeks ago; he averages 6.5 points and 3.7 rebounds per game. Bunschoten averages 5.2 points, but is one of those 6’9” guys that prefers to shoot from distance—he takes more than half his shots behind the arc and only averages 1.3 rebounds per game. Murphy leads the team in blocks (15), and averages 4.6 points and 4.0 rebounds. Page has improved since his freshman season and averages 5.6 points and 2.2 boards.

Coming off the bench are 5’11” freshman Jordan Barnes (6.7 points, 2.7 rebounds), 6’5” sophomore guard Donovan Franklin, 6’9” sophomore forward Emondre Rickman (15 blocks), and 6’8” freshman forward Bronson Kessinger.

Loyola is 9-14 all-time against the Sycamores, but the Hulman Center has been a tough venue for the Ramblers, losing their last four in the building. Loyola’s last win in Terre Haute was in 1995, and their first loss there was in February 1924, the longest running rivalry with a current MVC team.

Loyola game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... 127aaa.pdf

Indiana State game notes: http://gosycamores.com/documents/2017/1 ... eNotes.pdf

TV/Streaming video: ESPN3 http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/i ... iana-state

Vegas odds: Loyola by 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:10 am 

For my money, Todd Golden is the best MVC beat writer. If you're on Twitter, he's a good follow: https://twitter.com/TribStarTodd

This will be an interesting game. Certainly winnable, but not going to be easy on the road. If we come out passive, they can take advantage. I'd imagine we will be a slight favorite.

ISUb is one of the worst three point shooting teams we will face all year. They're second worst in the MVC (SIU) according to KenPom stats vs D1 opponents.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
For my money, Todd Golden is the best MVC beat writer.

Better than JCT?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:43 am 

If the Sun Times hired JCT to cover the Ramblers, I would update my rankings. I might even subscribe to the paper!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:58 am 

Let's not get carried away. I mean JCT's work is priceless, but that doesn't mean I'd be willing to pay for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:08 am 

One of Indiana States biggest troubles this season has been defending the post. A lot of big men have gone off on the trees. MSU's Alize Johnson went for 30-15 and 26-20 in two games against the Tree's, Sean O'Brien had 28-14, WSU Shaq Morris went for 24-8, and in the matchup he missed due to injury his replacement Daryl Willis Jr. had 25-10... the list goes on. If we're gonna win I'd look for Aundre to play a big part in a rare victory at Terre Haute for the Ramblers!

Let's hope Clayton's shot gets back on track as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:55 pm 

Preview from Terre Haute: http://www.newsandtribune.com/indiana/s ... 5d407.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:25 am 

I had this chalked up mentally as a W but now after reading the preview I have sunk back into a state of anxiety...hope it will not be a state of confusion after the game. Who will get the defensive assignment to guard Brenton Scott? I thought in the last two games guards got to the rim fairly easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:02 pm 

Agree. Was counting on this one as a road win. Now I am not so sure. We need some road wins - and you have to figure we get one vs a 1-8.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:08 pm 

Forgot about Indiana State having the worst announcers in the league