It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:25 pm 

There was a post game season ticket holder appreciation party in Ireland's after the game. Coach Moser came down to address the fans and express his appreciation for all the support. One remark he made that I will not forget is, "at this point in the season there are 250 of the 350plus division one teams that are mailing it in and have given up. This team is not one of them".
This team plays hard and never gives up.
So I too expect a big upset or two.
As for the party, it was first class, well organized and with plenty of food and drink. My wife and I and seven others shut the place down. The Ireland's staff was great as well and great hosts.
After the party the nine of us, tromped up to the Gentile Arena and watched our young and talented volleyball team dispose of Quincy in three sets.
On a downer note, the AD and his staff gave a presentation to some season ticket holders before the bball game. State of Illinois budget cuts hit the athletic department hard. The team will have to bus to the Southern game for the game on the 25th. Raising money for athletics will be a priority.
It is also doubtful if the Ramblers could afford to host a CBI if we were offered to play in that again.
I say it does not really make a difference. Just win the MVC tourney at ArchMadness and get an NCAA bid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:31 am 

I hope you are right 25 but beating both WSU and Illinois State in 24 hours with limited height and not much depth be tough. I also worry the minutes are piling up on the Rambler starters. We will see. We could lose Friday or be playing on Sunday. March is fun! Wonder if the team would even do a CBI or CIT knowing they would be on the road.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 am 

Wanted to make a couple comments on the pre-game meeting. 1. I copied and wrote down all the ideas and comments that were posted here and passed them on . 2. It is amazing we have done so well in the Valley overall with what appears at this point to be an economic disadvantage. 3. AD Watson seems to be on the right path and understands what needs to be done to move ahead. Specifically coming to mind were his comments on more effectively reaching out to alumni , corporations,sponsors and Chicago.4. All of these things are probably moving slower than we would like and I would say that recent economic issues and many decades of absolute neglect are the cause. 5. But would say if any of you are in a giving mood see if you might be able to get the team to Carbondale on a plane.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:58 am 

natetheskate wrote:
5. But would say if any of you are in a giving mood see if you might be able to get the team to Carbondale on a plane.

If we raise $20,000 for a charter flight, will you guarantee a win? :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:18 am 

A good question to ask.
Last June the NCAA distributed 55k to each DI school for 'cost of attendance'.
Did it go to the athletes?
Was it used for operations?
Did the university just take it?

For any organization to ask for donations a critical component is transparency. I don't have the answers to these questions but why not make it public?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:56 am 

55k buys a lot of 5 guys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:30 pm 

LU 86 ...do you have any information that would lead you to think that money was channeled anywhere else? I would hope we would not be making speculations without evidence. I would say that I thought AD Watson was transparent at the meeting,,,answering any and all questions....He also did not ask for donations....just gave an example of how economic issues can effect things in answer to a question that was asked. He gave the people there info on operating budget ,,,money from the U to the AD etc. If he was looking for money he wanted have invited me!
Ahunte is 55K what it would cost for a charter flight? YIkes......Im gonna need to win the lottery. Or trade in my Stan Musial baseball card collection.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:41 pm 

Some of my donations in the past have gone unaccounted. No, I have no direct knowledge of the current AD and the finances of the dept. Do I trust anything to do with athletics? My answer is no. Between Swoopes, Holm, Shane,Kelly,Malisch,and Calhoun there really isn't a reason to is there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:44 pm 

Well I have to admit I am an optimist to a fault....and believe me I cannot argue with many of the things you refer to....having said that I think it would be worth your while to have a sit down with AD Watson.....He does not seem to take complaints personally and is open to ideas. As I said before he seems to understand the situation both traditionally and financially and his financial direction is not counting on the U and or specifically a donation campaign. I think he is a far cry from Parks, Grace,and another I cant remember.....not including Gene Sullivan