It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:28 pm 

Cowards. That is some b.s. from them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:01 pm 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
Just listened to Porter on ESPN 1000 with Jonathan Hood and he said that NC State is probably going to buy out the contract and not come to Gentile.

Well of course they are...

Who else did that with us? Was it Purdue? Seems like it was in the early 2000s.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:38 am 

JCT wrote:
RamblinTank22 wrote:
Just listened to Porter on ESPN 1000 with Jonathan Hood and he said that NC State is probably going to buy out the contract and not come to Gentile.

Well of course they are...

Who else did that with us? Was it Purdue? Seems like it was in the early 2000s.

Purdue fulfilled their contract. They lost to us at the Joe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:50 am 

At Florida, December 6: http://floridagators.com/schedule.aspx? ... etball-men

Trap game for them as they play Florida State two days before ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:24 pm 

I love it. Really quality opponent, hostile venue, rich SEC school with a ton of football money, and an opportunity to go Florida in December. Great job by Porter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 pm 

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of us taking guarantee games. I understand that for the budget we might need to take one, but I would much rather it be vs a school closer to home so we can get some fan involvement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:25 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of us taking guarantee games. I understand that for the budget we might need to take one, but I would much rather it be vs a school closer to home so we can get some fan involvement.

I'm okay with a guarantee game or two a season. Playing in a tough road game helps prepare for the conference season, and if we pull up the upset and win, it looks good for the program and helps any at-large bid. I think the biggest problem with your wish is schools closer to home, don't want to play us.

On a personal side, I'd be one of the happiest people in the world if we could beat Florida. Not only would it mean a huge Rambler victory, but Florida is one of the few schools I always root against regardless of who they play or what sport. I'm definitely a gator hater.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:13 pm 

This really is a trap game. Right after FSU and right before their mid season tourney to play Cincy and Clemson... Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:22 pm 

I don't mind guarantee games at all, I just wish we'd take them against teams we have a reasonable or good outside chance of beating. I don't think Florida is going to be one of those teams. Vanderbilt (twice), Florida State, Kentucky, Alabama. These are the only teams to beat Florida at home in the past two years. They're 21-5 at home in the past two seasons and undefeated against non-con teams, and last year they were 14-4 in the SEC.

Sure, if we could somehow win that game, we'd instantly be in the running for an at large bid. Florida has finished in the top 10 in RPI in 4 of the past 7 years, including finishing the year at #1 in 2013-14. Losing this game isn't going to hurt us at all-- the higher schedule strength will help improve our numbers there. And even if Florida has their worst season in a decade and that's the only loss we have on the year, no one would hold it against us.

But I think I'd rather see us take guarantee games from teams that are going to be in the top 100, but more toward the middle of the pack in a P5 conference, because a road win against one of those teams and the opponents' opponents is a bit more likely and helps us almost as much as a truly historic, outrageous upset would. In the SEC, that's Ole Miss, Vandy, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and maybe Auburn. In the Big 10, that's Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State. If we're going to be really good and one of the top 2-3 teams in the MVC next year, we should have an outside shot at beating some P5 teams that finish around .500 in their conferences. Even if we run away with the league, beating Florida in Gainesville is a longshot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:01 pm 

I definitely agree that getting a midrange P5 school is a better option. But I think it's a two way street in that a lot of those schools realize it might be a tough game against a higher level MM (which we probably still haven't proved to be). Those teams would likely either pad their non-cons with guaranteed wins, as they know a loss to a MM could kill their at large chances OR they try and schedule other similarly ranked HM schools to bolster their schedule. We're kind of in a weird no-win category.

I could be totally wrong, I just feel like NC State falls into the mid range category and that after last season the new coach might have gotten a bit spoiled by their changes against us.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next