It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:59 am 

I never liked the saying it is hard to beat a team three times. Following that logic are we better off facing WSU and Illinois State compared to Bradley and Indiana State? I do think it is hard to beat a team of similar caliber three times however. Also the outcome of last night's game was important. It cost Loyola a .500 conference season and the opportunity to wear the home white uniforms on Friday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:31 am 

lusuperfan wrote:
Do we need another assistant to coach forwards? Granic has literally played 15 minutes in the last 5 and a half weeks. What has he done to earn him a spot in the doghouse and what's the point of even giving him a scholarship if you don't play him?
-Conditioning vs. the rest of the Valley programs' conditioning
-How he manages the team's depth, especially as the minutes pile up on our key players
-Noncon scheduling - the SDSU game was our highest non-con RPI team. Not only did we not even technically schedule it, but that win also looks less and less outstanding as they implode.
-Play-calling at the end of the game (Clayton's 3 out of the timeout vs. ISUr and tonight's Doyle drive to nowhere)
Okay let me see if I can pick some of these off. ....but basically I would say one is on Coach and the other is on us. At the meeting with the AD last month it was obvious the effect of money on asst. coaches , recruiting and scheduling. I love Joe Crisman but no experience=cheap, scheduling good teams requires guaranteed cash which we do not make up either through tv or tickets.....these games cost us money. We are near the bottom in almost every spending category. However some of the other stuff is Coach. You can count on if you make a DEFENSIVE mistake u r on the bench. Tough to be able to perform at coaches defensive expectations as a rookie....that makes this year tough on rotations , depth and egos. Got to agree with end of game calls.....tough to give Coach a good grade here..however when you have a Milton Doyle anything that does not work that involved not having the ball in Miltons hands is gonna end with the following quote "why didnt he give the ball to Milt?" But yeah we often seem to be only a couple plays away from great seasons and end up with average or good. Sometimes the sum of all parts has a ceiling and that is frustrating.

It's going to sound quite ironic because I was so content with where the program was a few weeks ago, that I thought the idea that PM would at least have the opportunity to look at other options wasn't far-fetched. Now, you can't help but feel unbelieveably frustrated with how we're ending this season (barring a miracle run in Arch Madness).

/rant over

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 pm 

ramblermgr9599 wrote:
I never liked the saying it is hard to beat a team three times. Following that logic are we better off facing WSU and Illinois State compared to Bradley and Indiana State? I do think it is hard to beat a team of similar caliber three times however. Also the outcome of last night's game was important. It cost Loyola a .500 conference season and the opportunity to wear the home white uniforms on Friday.

I compare this a lot to when we faced Indiana State 2 years back. In the regular season they shot an insanely high percentage from 3 and kicked the crap out of us both games. In the third game the 3's weren't falling and tournament history was made for point differential. I don't at all expect that to happen again but it's worth noting that SIU shot well above their average in their two games against us. 50% in game one and 56% last night...on the season they hit 44% of their shots. OBrien has also been able to stay out of foul trouble relative to other teams he's played against, playing 38 minutes with 4 fouls (the last coming very late) and 34 minutes with 3 fouls on senior night (missing only 5 of 21 shots along the way.). If I'm porter I'm finding a way to attack him constantly when he's on the court. I missed the game yesterday so maybe we tried that and failed.... is it Friday yet?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:53 pm 

Losing FIVE games by a total of TEN points !! ( I mis-typed and wrote 19 a while ago) , says tons of things--

--Lousy luck !!
--Lack of talent in the BIGGIE position
-----We are almost continually out boarded--Too few offensive boards
-----We tire late because of constantly being beaten down the floor
--Coaching ?? Maybe--eg allowing BOL to block FIVE shoys early on which caused us to be losing 12-2 --Ninsight says we fell too far behind too early--maybe an early time out to stop momentum ?? Sometimes our TEAM makes mistakes as does the Coach. It cost us because of all the above--BUT that does not make us a bad team led by a poor Coach
Our team AND Coach are good--It is now time to get better --

OR to put it another way--IT IS RUG CUTTING TIME !! OR we shall await a BIGGER team without Milt. It will be tough without him BUT doable IF the new BIGS come through--We WILL have the scorers--plenty of them.

One small ( pardon pun ) MILTON SHALL shine in St Louis !!!

GFO RAMBLERS RUN !!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:03 pm 

brot4britu wrote:

One small ( pardon pun ) MILTON SHALL shine in St Louis !!

I hope the pun I'm seeing isn't the one you meant, Brot...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:55 pm 

In case things don't go well at Arch Madness, we can always watch Judy Garland in Meet Me in St Louie, 1942, great, great movie!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:51 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
lusuperfan wrote:
Do we need another assistant to coach forwards? Granic has literally played 15 minutes in the last 5 and a half weeks. What has he done to earn him a spot in the doghouse and what's the point of even giving him a scholarship if you don't play him?
-Conditioning vs. the rest of the Valley programs' conditioning
-How he manages the team's depth, especially as the minutes pile up on our key players
-Noncon scheduling - the SDSU game was our highest non-con RPI team. Not only did we not even technically schedule it, but that win also looks less and less outstanding as they implode.
-Play-calling at the end of the game (Clayton's 3 out of the timeout vs. ISUr and tonight's Doyle drive to nowhere)
Okay let me see if I can pick some of these off. ....but basically I would say one is on Coach and the other is on us. At the meeting with the AD last month it was obvious the effect of money on asst. coaches , recruiting and scheduling. I love Joe Crisman but no experience=cheap, scheduling good teams requires guaranteed cash which we do not make up either through tv or tickets.....these games cost us money. We are near the bottom in almost every spending category. However some of the other stuff is Coach. You can count on if you make a DEFENSIVE mistake u r on the bench. Tough to be able to perform at coaches defensive expectations as a rookie....that makes this year tough on rotations , depth and egos.

I think some of these options might be unavailable given the financial situation, but there are ways where we can improve and get around it. That's only if we can not only identify the problem but make conscientious efforts to change.

Maybe we don't have the money to hire a new strength coach from another program (which would probably mean we need to give the new guy a raise from his old job). A change in how PM plays Custer and Richardson, dropping their minutes from 35 a game to 25 and getting Smith, Skokna, and Satterwhite in there for a few extra minutes to give those guys a rest might result in slightly fresher legs for those 2 in February.

If our financials are really that dire, scheduling philosophy should change too. We shouldn't bring in any D2 teams next year. Period. We barely brought in 1,000 fans to see those 2 games (the figures were similarly low for Alcorn St. and Norfolk St.), so the revenue incentive is just not there. If we're looking for non-competitive games to expand the bench and develop guys, use those dates to go on the road against Power 5 teams. Custer and Richardson's homecoming trip shouldn't be to UMKC for a home-and-home that, when UMKC comes to Gentile, will draw 2,000 fans on a really good day. Their trip should be a high 5, maybe 6 figure guarantee game at Kansas. If Tyson and Aundre get road games in their neck of the woods, they should be against Maryland and SMU/TCU respectively. Texas-Arlington forces their program to generate $300k in guarantee game revenue. I concede that $300k is excessive, but money does talk. If we needed an extra $25k for the charter to SIU to pull that game out, you can find that in this year's budget by not even scheduling those 2 D2 games, nevertheless replacing them with $150k in guarantee game revenue.