It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NC State bails
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:29 pm 

Just listened to Porter on ESPN radio tonight, he was asked about the schedule for the upcoming season. Porter didn't mention any games we will have, but he did complain and kind of right (very rightfully so) that it looks like NC State is going to buy out of the contract we had with them and they will not be coming to Gentile. He then went on to talk about the struggle of scheduling good schools for home games and how they don't want to come play us.

I know for myself I'm really upset by this, I was very much looking forward to that game because I know it would have pulled a lot more students and fans, looked good for our reputation, and given us a quality RPI win (I'm 100% assuming we win that matchup).

Post subject: Re: NC State bails
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:04 pm 

That's pretty shabby. I don't think he'd mention it unless it was a fait acompli.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:18 pm 

That's some bush league crap, if true.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:28 am 

tough hit. Now lets take that money, add it to some more Power 5 money and NOT spend it on D3 team middle of the year

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:26 am 

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=19684298

Starts around 1 hour and 30 minutes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:45 am 

Absolutely bush league. And the worst part about it is that mid-majors get punished for not scheduling better. What in the hell are we supposed to do? Play all of our games on the road?

I hope they never win another game again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:59 am 

GoRamblers wrote:
Absolutely bush league.

Let's keep politics out of it. Don't want Brot to get mad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am 

I think if Gottfried was still coach at NC St. this game is more likely to happen, although not a guarantee. Moving forward, what's the best way to try and prevent this from happening in the future? Does anyone have an idea?

I've been trying to find how other mid-major schools get home games against P5/BE schools. There aren't many good examples for us. Hawaii gets their teams because of tournaments in Hawaii. An interesting one was UMass who is using a football contract to get Georgia to play there (https://www.dawgnation.com/football/tea ... l-schedule) If the football contract thing becomes a blueprint to get big basketball games, it may become even harder for us to get someone to come to Gentile.

Pretty much the only other ways I've seen is diligence and luck (like we had originally with NC St) and proving that a loss to you isn't "bad" That's how Wichita, Gonzaga, UNI, etc. are able to draw bigger names. Obviously the best way for us is to win consistently, and scheduling may get easier. For the time being, do you think that we could do or want to do a 2-for-1 deal where a team plays here first, and then the next two years we go there? If you get that deal, the odds of a buyout a really slim.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:57 am 

We play Northwestern and DePaul every year in every non-revenue sport. Because the schools are so close together, having these games (and to a slightly lesser extent Marquette, Notre Dame, and Purdue) saves thousands on travel every year. And the P5/Big East schools take it for granted. Perhaps establishing a policy that we don't play schools in non-revenue sports that refuse to play us in revenue sports would help, at least locally.

As for the NC State situation, perhaps it should become known on social media and other places that NC State's committments to other schools are worthless.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 am 

There's a thread on reddit where most folks are on our side...even some NC State folks.