It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:13 pm 

I know that most D1 teams do that to keep RPI down and grab a gimme win. But you could also get your bench game minutes by playing a guarantee game versus better and more challenging competition like Kentucky. Worst case scenario, the score is as lopsided as the Eureka game. Best case scenario...?!?!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:57 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
I guess the bottom line is that until we are ever at a point where we can get at-large consideration, the schedule doesn't make that big of a difference because we would need to run the table anyway, so just get a couple top-50 games however you can and take your chances while you prep for conference season.

I have to disagree a bit. With a less competitive conference, there is a real chance to get the automatic bid. Starting right now, we should be focused on Arch Madness. Agree that our non-con record does not make a difference now. But the non-con schedule is huge in terms of preparing the team for conference play and - most important - Arch Madness. More than ever, we need to be the best team we can be, not have the best record we can have. I am surprised at this schedule now that Porter has the security has. I could understand his need for any old win the last couple of years, but there's no need for that anymore. Also problematic, this schedule just makes it harder to generate the excitement on campus that we need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm 

We couldn't sell out the arena with an undefeated Whichita State team in town and their fans taking 1/3 to 1/2 of the tickets. Why would you suggest that a better non-conf schedule will draw fans?

Further - At Florida and At Boise St will be more difficult than any road Valley games, so i don't have any issue with the teams we are playing.

Finally -- we have plenty of newcomers that will be in the lineup playing significant minutes. They do need time to gel and get some things right before conference play begins. Let's not forget that this team lost its best player in Doyle. I expect a lot of early struggles in 17/18, with the team getting significantly better as the season wears on.

Be patient with this group -- because in the end I think they have a chance to do something special.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 am 

lusuperfan - Have you read any of the stuff Mark Adams has written about mid-major scheduling? It's pretty interesting. I think it's on his Facebook page. I can try to find a link. He basically says stop taking buy games and band together to play home and homes instead.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:01 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
lusuperfan - Have you read any of the stuff Mark Adams has written about mid-major scheduling? It's pretty interesting. I think it's on his Facebook page. I can try to find a link. He basically says stop taking buy games and band together to play home and homes instead.

I stopped following along at Mark Adams. 8-)

The summarized point though sounds like a big game of prisoners dilemma, which would probably be unwinnable for us & the mid majors. Some good mid major teams at universities with serious budget problems will break or the P5 just shut us out completely (see college football). The only real change will come from the tournament committee by favoring the Illinois States and Monmouths of the world over the 8-10 conference record P5 team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:38 am 

.....and the only way that will happen is if mid-majors defeat top tier teams at at least a 40% of the time...and the only way that will happen is if the top tier teams are compelled by either the committee or the the NCAA for them to schedule home and home with mid-majors....maybe a factor should be considered called the courage factor...as and advantage into the tournament over teams who exhibit the CHICKEN factor.....Can anyone say North Carolina State........

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:47 am 

lusuperfan wrote:
I stopped following along at Mark Adams. 8-)

I wouldn't fault you for that.

Here's his very long post. Like I said, it's pretty interesting. I also agree with what you said about change coming down to the committee.

https://www.facebook.com/enthusiadams/p ... 28398001:0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:08 pm 

I think a low-key big game for us could be UMKC. I'm assuming that our Kansas City area recruits will show up. If we can play well in front of them it could help us get them. If Ben and Clayton have good games, they may see that players like them can succeed under Moser and in the system.