It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tip Off Luncheon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 am 

The annual Tip Off Luncheon is this Wednesday at 11:30. The location is Lewis Towers on the downtown campus.

If you can go, it's always a good time. $45 for lunch and meet the coaching staff. Usually a player or two there as well.

Register here... http://www.alumni.luc.edu/s/1548/alumni ... nt_id=4597

Post subject: Re: Tip Off Luncheon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 am 

Speaking of the Tip Off Luncheon....did anybody go to the open practice Saturday (if there was one)?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 am 

A few practice updates... others should chime in as well:

- Krutwig looks great. He's lost 25 lbs since the spring and is adding strength. He is moving very well, and he's the kind of player that Porter will love for being noisy on defense. Smart player. He should get 20-25 minutes per game as a freshman.

- Negron is wearing a big brace, but he looks good, too. Dunking and blocking shots. Not cleared for 5 of 5 yet, but otherwise he's participating. They can afford to bring him back slowly. I don't expect to see him a lot right away as he continues the rehab.

- Expecting quality play from the senior trio of Ingram, Jackson, and Richardson.

- Aher Uguak is a tremendous athlete. One of the best I can remember at Loyola. He has to sit out this year, but he will be a great player in the MVC.

**edited to add

I just looked this up, and according to KenPom, we ranked 319th in bench minutes last year. Starters played over 75% of minutes. I could see that changing dramatically this year with Townes or Krutwig (whoever doesn't start) plus Satterwhite all getting 20 minutes off the bench plus Skokna, Negron/Shanks, and Williamson contributing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 am 

I echo what Ahunte says.

Krutwig looks tremendous. Super vocal for a freshmen, I could truly see him as an on the floor leader by next season, and that's more of a credit to him than a critique to anyone else. His passing is super impressive, he's got good footwork and they want him to attack a bit more down low since he's such a selfless passer

Negron looked REALLY good to me. It was his first day of practice where he was able to go through contact. He could run half court drills and had a put back dunk in traffic that was pretty savage. I agree with Ahunte that he'll take time, he won't be a shooter but he could be a glass eater and put back machine if healthy. His length also caused problems passing in traffic a few times. Patience is key.

Shanks was out, word is great locker room guy, great for Krutwig to go against in practice... will probably have limited court time.

Bruno and Aundre both lost 10-15 pounds and it shows. Bruno shot the ball really well and looks quicker. Aundre is noticeably slimmer and is moving really well with the ball; still has that reverse layup.

They're experimenting playing Satterwhite at point and Bruno at the 2. They like Satterwhite's length and passing ability at that position (compared him to Doyle in terms of body type), as well as Bruno coming off the ball to spot up and shoot.

Williamson looked like a freshmen who will push for playtime. He shoots it well and has good size. He reminded me of how Donte and Ben looked as freshmen just solid players who are ready to contribute.

Uguak is shredded. Great athlete, will cause fits on defense, and his offense was better than I expected!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:18 pm 

Thanks for the reports, Boyz!

Had to Google "shredded". Keep 'em coming Blers and I'll be fluent in Millennial in no time.

Any dish on Marques Townes or Adarius Avery?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:22 pm 

I got you.

Townes looked good! Nothing knew, he's a just a bulldozer going to the paint. He'll have some nice slashes. Avery wasn't practicing with the shoulder. Last I saw on the board it sounded like a redshirt for him...?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:25 pm 

Avery has said on social media he's a medical redshirt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:35 pm 

This is really good stuff. It's great to get a flood of info from eyewitnesses after many months of speculation and rumors and second hand info.

I am considering locking threads for Recruiting and Injuries at the top of the Men's Basketball forum. There might also be some other ways to handle the task of having a readily-trackable reference on the latest recruiting and injury news that doesn't clog up the top of the forum even when there's nothing happening for months. Maybe some of you have examples of how other boards have handled pinned topics that you think works well.... Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 am 

JCT - I think pinning the recruiting threads by class and maybe an injury thread makes sense.

We can also use the front page of the site for more things. We added game previews last season, and the recruiting roundups recently. We could do an injury update (if we have enough real intel on that).

Then we can try to use social media and some SEO type stuff to get eyeballs there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
some SEO type stuff...

My Millennial vocabulary keeps expanding!