It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Up Our Sleeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 pm 

UpOurSleeves wrote:
I know this one feels good for JCT... Would be curious to hear any thoughts on the Muller quote I included

https://www.portersjacket.com/single-po ... s-State-61

I was literally pulling into my driveway as he said that on WJBC Radio, and I sat there for a minute or two to listen to the rest of the interview. I don't think he was being dismissive of us, but he was trying to knock the selfishness of his team.

The ISU announcers certainly did give credit to the Loyola defense and shooting efficiency. It was like everybody's reaction to Aundre Jackson--- how did he score there? that's a nice move under the basket... wow, he was 6 for 8? We've got a lot of quiet players who aren't that flashy, and when the game is over and people look at the stat sheet, the efficiency numbers, and the plus/minus numbers, they get a revelation.

And yes.... it did feel great. As much as I think the ISU fans are full of themselves and somewhat ignorant about basketball because they've had such an easy go of it and they've fed themselves comforting lies, I also think LU fans are waaaayyyy too shy (demure is a good word) about bragging on their own team. The hard knocks we've gone through as a program have kept us humble, and a little braggadocio might be needed in places here and there to keep from letting insecurity hurt us in games.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:15 pm 

https://www.portersjacket.com/single-po ... Bradley-65

Lets keep it rolling! Post game story.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:15 pm 

https://www.portersjacket.com/single-po ... Bradley-65

Lets keep it rolling! Post game story.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:32 pm 

Like your reports. But, praising attendance of 2,800 is wrong because it included about 1,000 enthusiastic Bradley fans who would have easily stolen the home court if their team played any better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm 

MikeH, it was still cool having that many people there. Regardless there were significantly more fans than in past years without students

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:59 pm 

Bradley had a vocal contingent, but in that second half when they’d hit a shot and make some noise, we’d almost always immediately respond with an answer, with noticeably louder cheers. It was, thankfully, nowhere near a situation like the ISU game last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:32 pm 

Agreed. I feel like there were at least 2000 Loyola fans there, maybe more. And there were probably no more than 100 students, no band, and no cheerleaders. Our team kept their fans out of the game but I thought the Loyola turnout without the students was awesome and the best I have seen for a game when school was on break for many years.

I will also add that for those Ramblermania members who have influence and ears in the program, the new ticket pricing structure this year is excellent. It is far more palatable for me to bring my family of 4 in for games when it costs us $36 as opposed to the $50-$70 it would have cost last season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:08 pm 

MikeH wrote:
Like your reports. But, praising attendance of 2,800 is wrong because it included about 1,000 enthusiastic Bradley fans who would have easily stolen the home court if their team played any better.

Agree to disagree. Last season when Bradley came to town we had a crowd of 2,089 and that was with students. Bradley got loud when they cut the lead to 13 late in the second half; I’m fine with that, makes for a fun atmosphere. With students I’m sure the Loyola side is even louder.

We’re likely always gonna have more opposing fans in gentile when compared to other MVC schools. Chicago has a hugely dense population with plenty of alumni bases present, especially from midwestern schools. Then you throw in the tourism aspect, a Rambler game is a perfect addition to a weekend trip to the city. Even if there were 1000 Bradley fans (which I would say is probably closer to 700), that’s still nearly 2000 local fans showing up to a winter break game with no band or students.

Opposing fans poked fun of gentile initially because it was small, but the fact is it gets loud, it’s well lit, clean, and the sitelines are great. If I recall correctly Bradley has fans pretty far away from the court. The better we get the more opposing fans will want to come and try and see their team take down a big dog. It’s why I went to see us play at Notre Dame a few years back (obviously we’re far from that kind of attraction, but you never know what could happen in the next 5-10 years). Best of all, the money it supplies the program with is all the same. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:10 pm 

Regardless of the actual number of Bradley fans, the new seating configuration didn't allow them to all sit tightly together behind the Bradley bench in full view of the cameras. The seating plan has been a huge success. There's been a big increase in enthusiasm in the season ticket section now that it's twice as full as it was when it was split between the two sides of the court. Also, attendance during the break has increased greatly compared to past years. Can't wait to see everything come together - bigger crowds, more enthusiasm, and students back -as we go for four in a row against Southern on Wednesday night.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm 

https://www.portersjacket.com/single-po ... llinois-65

Great turnout last night! Thoughts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next