It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 pm 

Told you guys there was more hype by the students this year, over 1300 students came in through student ID's 8-)

Really happy with Krutwig and Townes, as well as our returning starters. Aundre struggled a bit, he'll pick it up. Our defense down low worries me, lots of easy layups. Excited to be 1-0!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 pm 

Agree - most impressed with Townes. Will be our go to go as the year goes on. Great start for Custer as well. We need him to step it up this year and tonight was a step in the right direction. Even the the very nice stat boards indicated he had zero assists.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 pm 

Some thoughts on the game:

1. Krutwig is the real deal.
2. Townies is really good.
3. Way too many turnovers.
4. I think Jackson may need to come in off the bench, playing the same minutes.
5. Wright State has BIG guards, and their team is built on guard mismatches. But still, how can we let them hit so many threes?
6. WSU might be a top 3 Horizon team.
7. I want to take a look at the plus/minus numbers, but Satterwhite and Skokna were not effective in my opinion. They need to play like sophomores.
8. The embarrasing, lazy-ass defensive stands (There were at least three) REALLY bothered me. How can we let that happen? If it continues, we're a third or fourth place team. Coach and a leader like Donte need to review the tape and call out culprits.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:57 pm 

Agreed, JCT. Also, our starters played (had to?) way to many minutes.

I thought Satterwhite at least showed something, unlike Skokna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:01 pm 

Keep the momentum going with the students, and it will be an incredible atmosphere, especially during conference games.

I sensed that a lot of the game was spent feeling out different rotations. A lot of different lineups on the court...but it was nice to see the depth. Overall it just felt the entire time like we were the better team, and we weren’t going to lose. That’s definitely a change from where we’ve been. They were red hot from three in the first half, which kept them in it, but we were scoring inside and outside and moving the ball pretty well. Krutwig was as advertised...impressive. Not only does he give us a big body inside, but he also has a very nice touch from mid-range. That’s huge for a big man, especiallly at a mid-major.

Last edited by 01grad on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:48 pm 

-Krutwig is for real
-Wright state is gonna be a good team and has been solid year in year out
-every year teams seem to make ridiculous 3’s late. Even when contested well
-refs calling everything; ruined the pace/momentum at times
-Bruno did come up with a clutch turnover late; tho hopefully he adds more offense. Satterwhite’s 3 was huge, they both made huge plays to swing momentum.
-keep in mind this is the first game without the team’s best player and leader for the last 4 years... also potentially our best defender (no offense to Ben)
-Clayton was barking out there a couple times after defensive breakdowns; it’s one game, we have a ton of talent but still will have to gel; not overly worried

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:34 am 

Agree with all that's been said, but can't credit the student section enough. That's how a D-1 student section should look and sound.

I will humbly say as an LSU graduate, I've seen lost games won because of the home crowd. More Rambler games will be won with a home crowd like tonight's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:49 am 

Solid win. Would have liked to see the killer mentality when we were up 10 to just run away with it--but that will hopefully come in time. Awesome to see the student support. Any reason why Carson Shanks got 0 minutes? We will need help defensively down low.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:34 am 

UMKC (next week's opponent) almost got doubled up by Wichita State last night. Something like 104-53.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:16 pm 

Great student crowd at last night's game. It was a thrill to walk into the arena and see this. And they were loud. Gutsy move by the Athletic Department to change the seating and ask season ticket holders to move to the south side, but at least some students I talked to came out to check out the new seats. I can't speak for all the season ticket holders who moved , but I enjoyed being in more crowded quarters and listening to the noise from the student side. Thanks to everyone who worked to produce a great atmosphere.

Attachments:
Gentile 11-10-2017(3).JPG
Gentile 11-10-2017(3).JPG [ 142.63 KiB | Viewed 10784 times ]