It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 am 

Total dismantling of a team. It was a joy to watch. How about the quality of athletes we now have on the roster versus 4-5 years ago? Still need size, but that is the hardest thing at this mid-major level to recruit. Krutwig and Williamson look like total recruiting steals at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 pm 

Agree that the minutes distribution could be better. Porter has never had this deep of a bench - he will need to learn how to manage it....keep us winning, exploit match up AND keep everyone happy. Only place we lack depth is at the point. Custer played 30 - but we really don't have a good option backing him up. And while Drew Peterson would be a very nice player to get, he is another 2/3. Would rather see us invest another roster spot in a point guard for next year and beyond in the event that Bujdoso is not ready to take over for Custer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:05 pm 

Sloth84 wrote:
Agree that the minutes distribution could be better. Porter has never had this deep of a bench - he will need to learn how to manage it....keep us winning, exploit match up AND keep everyone happy. Only place we lack depth is at the point. Custer played 30 - but we really don't have a good option backing him up. And while Drew Peterson would be a very nice player to get, he is another 2/3. Would rather see us invest another roster spot in a point guard for next year and beyond in the event that Bujdoso is not ready to take over for Custer.

I have to think that Custer's minutes go down when Richardson returns; while he doesn't run point Richardson gives a steadying presence on the court while Townes or potentially Skokna runs it(I've been way more impressed with him lately). It probably won't happen but ideally those two would both be around 25; yielding 5 mpg each to Lucas Williamson who's clearly earned trust. We have a real deep team; and for the most part they seem pretty unselfish which is great.

As for recruiting... this is tough. At 6'8 I look at Peterson as a 3/4 wing type who can really stretch the floor, which we'll need with the losses of Ingram and Richardson. Here's how i see it: we currently have one open spot which based on our current roster projection should go to a wing type based on the players were recruiting (Trace Ramsey, Austin Richie, potentially Peterson). There's two potential openings with Townes and Custer; I'm pretty sure Townes stays, less so about Custer, but he could pursue a masters degree so it's not out of the question. In the event Custer does leave, I'm sure we'd look at a JUCO point to come in and facilitate the offense. Also, for what it's worth in the recruiting round up video Porter mentioned liking Cooper Kaifes ability to run the offense at point in a pinch as well.