It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NCAA Scheduling
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 pm 

I know I don't have to rile people up too much, but this is the kind of crap that really pisses me off.

I saw an article about Georgetown and their OOC which KenPom called "the worst nonconference schedule for as long as I have been tracking."

Georgetown has played a real BARNBURNER of an out-of-conference schedule. They are 8-1 with a loss to Syracuse. Otherwise, their schedule looks like this (with their RPI):

Jacksonville (335)
Mt. St. Mary's (300)
Maryland Eastern Shore (201)
Richmond (250)
Maine (327)
Coppin State (301)
Howard (329)
North Carolina A&T (158)
North Texas (187)
Alabama A&M (347)

Given the way the NCAA selection committee has acted in recent years, it doesn't matter what they do in their conference...they'll find a way to get an at large. And that's crap.

/rant

Last edited by GoRamblers on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Scheduling
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm 

I don't think North Texas was expected to be that good (a 187 RPI), but they got Roosevelt Smart (18.5 ppg) as a juco transfer, and they're 5-5 including a win against Indiana State. Then again, I think Richmond was expected to be much better than 250.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm 

I agree with Go but that’s the “program” element that nobody ever talks about as a factor when selections are made, but is an obvious factor when you look at who gets selected. Georgetown has a pedigree and Patrick Ewing as their coach, which are two factors that will play in to a potential at- large bid no matter what anyone says. Neither of those things have anything to do with the individual season but would play into their favor if they are on the bubble. People are more interested in Patrick Ewing than they are Porter Moser. I’m sure more people would have been interested in our program had we gotten Isiah Thomas when we booted Whitesell, but then again, who knows how far that potential fiasco would have set us back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:32 pm 

JCT wrote:
I don't think North Texas was expected to be that good (a 187 RPI), but they got Roosevelt Smart (18.5 ppg) as a juco transfer, and they're 5-5 including a win against Indiana State. Then again, I think Richmond was expected to be much better than 250.

True, but here's another wrinkle in there...Georgetown dropped out of the PK80. They would have had 3 games against "quality" opponents. Instead, they went the easy route and played all these teams (but Richmond) at home

Post subject: Re: NCAA Scheduling
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:03 am 

Georgetown will not make the NCAA tournament, and if they do it'll be because they survived the gauntlet of their conference schedule. They'll probably be underdogs in 13 or 14 of their 18 conference games (on the road against everyone including maybe DePaul and at home vs. Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Creighton, and Butler). If Vegas chalk holds, there's no way they have the record or wins to get in.

Post subject: Re: NCAA Scheduling
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:30 am 

lusuperfan wrote:
Georgetown will not make the NCAA tournament, and if they do it'll be because they survived the gauntlet of their conference schedule. They'll probably be underdogs in 13 or 14 of their 18 conference games (on the road against everyone including maybe DePaul and at home vs. Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Creighton, and Butler). If Vegas chalk holds, there's no way they have the record or wins to get in.

I think their plan to make the tournament is to convince the committee that they're in the MEAC. Otherwise it's a real long shot. Both T Rank and Kenpom have Georgetown favored in 1 conference game (home against DePaul).