It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ESPN Mention
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am 

On Kap and Company this morning, Jeff Dickerson opened his segment giving big props to LU.

This is the kind of stuff that I like to hear!

Post subject: Re: ESPN Mention
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 am 

Nice... need to show well tonight to keep our forward momentum. No more of this two steps forward, one big step back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 pm 

A lot of ESPN mentions tonight! And not just Chicago!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 pm 

Worth the listen. I apparently can't upload the 2+ minute sound but here is the site.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/p ... d/13678310

12-6-17. Hour 1 Jeff Dickerson.

23:08 - 25:23

As Go said, JD giving mad props to Loyola and Gentile Arena.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 am 

Collins was on Kap talking about NU and they asked him about LU and Moser. He said he's a big fan and mentioned how the UF win was a big win.

No question about why NU won't play LU or if NU will attempt to play LU in the future, though

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:15 am 

When we got into the league, a lot of Chicago-area alums of MVC schools complained that if the MVC was adding Loyola just for the Chicago market, Loyola was more or less invisible in the market. "I live in Chicago, and I never hear about Loyola," a lot of them said. "No one in Chicago cares about Loyola," was another common comment.

My sense is that up through now we have helped raise the profile of the league in Chicago, with more attention via NBC Sports Chicago, some renewed interest by Chicago area alumni of MVC schools-- Bradley, SIU, Illinois State, UNI, etc. You saw last year that Illinois State had about 1000 fans at our place for their game, and it seems like there are a lot more MVC games on NBC Sports Chicago and the former Comcast Sports Net. And now that we're actually good enough to be talked about, I think that effect will accelerate.

Like I wrote on the MVCfans site, Loyola is now the program that the MVC hoped and imagined we would be. And I think we still have a much bigger ceiling on what we're capable of than any of the other schools that were talked about when we joined the league. We can be better than we are now as the year progresses, and I think most of us expect that we will get even better in the next several years. So this business of being a Top 100 team isn't just a temporary fluke or an extrapolation without any basis, it's real and should be a standard for the next several years. I hope we get into a competition with Northwestern and DePaul, and maybe even Illinois-- it should make us all better and raise the interest in college hoops.