It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ranking Rambler Wins
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 am 

I had a non-Loyola friend ask, "Where does the Florida win rank in Loyola's history?" I thought it was a good question, and that it might start a good thread here. I'm assuming the 1963 Championship Game is the biggest win. For some other reference, JCT had a thread on big road wins of the past (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2105)

I think Florida was the biggest true road win to date, but there have been plenty of other big wins. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ranking Rambler Wins
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 am 

Also, I think that the significance of the Florida win can change as the season goes on. If it's a win that propels us to a really good season that includes an NCAA tournament, we'll say that it could be a program changing win. If completely fall apart and can't see to win another game and Florida becomes a footnote, I think it'll become a "remember when" kind of game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 am 

Good thread !! I have reported this before but I have TWO

--The '63 semi final win where we routed Duke something like 90-75 !!
--A win against Villanova and I believe Paul Arizin in the way back--They came to Alumni Gym with a gaudy record --we smacked them something like 75-43 !!

RUN RAMBLERS !!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am 

After the Florida win, many people brought up Loyola beating #4 Illinois in 1984, the last time Loyola beat a top 5 team. That was at home. But the next game after that, Loyola beat #20 Louisville in Freedom Hall. This was one year before Louisville would win the 1986 National Championship with freshman Pervis Ellison. Louisville faded through the 1984-85 and missed the NCAA tournament, but went to the NIT semifinal, losing to UCLA in Walt Hazzard's first year (succeeding Larry Farmer).

Another big win: On February 15, 2009, Loyola played #15 Butler at Hinkle Fieldhouse and beat them 71-67. The Ramblers were really bad that year-- the win at Butler broke a six game losing streak for LU, who had JR Blount and Justin Ceresoli as their two best players that year, both of them shooting under 40% from the field. But Jordan Hicks caught fire that game and shocked the #15 Bulldogs, who up to that time were 52-6 under Brad Stevens late in his 2nd year as coach.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:05 pm 

I think it is important to distinguish between memorable and important. I have several great memories of the few wins Loyola has had in my time as a fan, but there really aren't too many important wins.

That being said, any time we beat Butler was a blast. I still want them to lose every game they ever play. Beating UIC at the Horizon League tournament behind a monster game from Schilb was a a great time. The 2002 Ho League tourney in Cleveland was so much fun. I would say my best day as a Ramblers fan was cheering against Butler when Green Bay beat them and then cruising to victory over Wright State. That day was so much fun it has become a fish story at this point. I swear Corey Minnifield had a dunk late in that game where he hit the top of the backboard and then we ran up a $20,000 bar tab at Great Lakes that LU86 picked up. Both a little bit exaggerated, but great times nonetheless. Hell, I called in sick to a new job that I hadn't even started, explaining that I had to stay in Cleveland through Tuesday because Loyola might make the NCAA tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:19 pm 

Nice post, Joe, but I don't see how you can remember those games after racking up a 20k bar tab!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:00 pm 

Jan. 30,1978. Loyola 79,Indiana State 76. Larry Bird 28 points, 16 rebounds. Andre Wakefield 21 pts. Larry Knight 18 and 23. Bird led that team to 30 wins and final four the next year. The little gym was rockin.