It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:17 pm 

Our RPI just dropped by 40. We went from 88 to 132 at the buzzer. We dropped from NIT territory to CITville with this game.

Do our coaches and players ever discuss the ramifications of half-assing it and losing to bad teams? This won't be made up, this was a permanent scar loss, worse than Milwaukee because it was at home.

From a fan standpoint, why do we keep doing this? I tell people I know that I care about this team, and they sharpen the shiv before gutting me. Why do we endure the crap? My God. From the number of missed layups in the first half and not scoring for the final several minutes, you'd think it was an intentional loss.

I am going to need a break from this. I'm too wrapped up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:17 pm 

Ramblin Ray wrote:
I hate to say it again,guys and gals- but Porter has yet to show that he can consistently win the games that count- the Conference games.We get teased with the preseason record and then do a nosedive.Again,I hope I am wrong,but am just going with our recent history.Now on the road with a hungry UNI team followed by always tough against us- ILL St.1 and 4- wow,would that be the nail in the coffin already?

Ray, this comes back to a pretty weak nonconference schedule.

I am hopeful, though, that I am wrong and we really are as good as our record shows. The answer will be when Clay returns.

I am worried at our lack of point guard play. With Clay out we are really struggling to get into an offense. This is not just for this year but for next year. Do we have a true PG next year if Clay moves on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm 

We were terrible at finishing in the paint, especially on seemingly clear drives to the hoop. On the other end we were terrible at closing off the lane, letting them hit those drives. All night long.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:24 pm 

This doesn't have anything to do with the schedule. This was motivation, which I put on the coach and players.

You don't get a night off in the MVC,and whawever..

God, I wish I knew who to scream at. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!!!>>>!>>!???!???! But I guess I'd just get some sleepy-eyed yawns and shrugged shoulders.

I'm too upset to write any more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 pm 

Really disheartening loss. No excuse for the way we came out. I really don't understand why we have been so bad in first halves.

Indiana State was super aggressive on defense for the most part. They got away with a lot of fouls, and it resulted in way too many turnovers. We seemed to adjust in the second half, but then we had guys making some really bad shot selections with the lead late. Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:31 pm 

No words for this one! Eight point favorites, which suggests something off tonight.
Another slow start, WHY?
I cannot understand why we don't play at a faster pace and use our talents rather than sloow half court offense against the 2-3 zone, AGAIN where all of our edge is eliminated. Plus we had a four or five point lead and then did nothing but bad possession after bad possession. AT HOME.... So much for the home court stuff. Earlier I was thinking we should win more road games, oh well.. Confidence is lacking?
What is wrong with me? I am thinking our guys are better than this. Lets turn them loose and speed up the game.
Satterwhite passes on so many looks, I suspect he does not have the green light. Why not? The more shots we take, the more we might make, or get offensive rebounds or get fouled. But slow play, less possessions always let the less skilled team back in the game. We should know that as thats how we played when PM first got here and we had way less talent than now.
If the opponents are going to double and triple Jackson, then others should be given the chance to put up some shots.
I hope we figure this out soon.
Ball on the floor too much.
Sorry for venting, just expressing my frustration.
Come on Ramblers, you are better than this.

Last edited by Ramblerguy on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:31 pm 

Just brutal.

This has to be the last loss we have at home this year or it could be a long season. NIT might be slipping away considering we need to win the regular season championship to auto-qualify. It might become win in St. Louis or bust really soon if we lose the next two.

The sad part is Porter does juuuust enough to keep his job and keep the powers-that-be happy. He won't be fired after an 18 win season, but if I were the AD, I'd at least fire Gordon just to make a statement about the status quo. I'd also set the non-con schedule for him. This loss brings him to 100-109 (.478 overall winning percentage) and 34-75 in conference play (.312 conference winning percentage). We have been absolutely atrocious in conference play, and clearly we are not prepared for the physicality of the Valley. Some of it is bad luck (UNC Wilmington really fell off from last year); a lot of it is beating up on garbage teams like Norfolk State (hey, highest single game field goal percentage in the country!) and building no basis for what it takes to win in this league.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 pm 

A grand total of 4 points in the last 9 plus minutes. If a doctor would’ve looked at the ESPN game flow chart, he would’ve called it. We flatlined.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 pm 

01grad wrote:
A grand total of 4 points in the last 9 plus minutes. If a doctor would’ve looked at the ESPN game flow chart, he would’ve called it. We flatlined.

Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 pm 

That was brutal. In fairness Indiana State clearly is turning their team around after a dreadful non-con; they almost beat Illinois State and whalloped Valpo. We're better than them though. They just bullied us and we don't really have an enforcer type to mix it up. That said, those refs were bad; on both sides; i thought we got away with some clear fouls under the bucket, meanwhile they were allowed to mug our guys throughout the first.

The Scott shot however is inexcusable at this level; replay shows that the shot did not make it out of his hands before the clock expired. The buzzer went off. I understand we were still down 2 at that point but how does that not get reviewed? To the naked eye I understand it was close but why have replay if you're not gonna use it in that situation?! I've seen far less get reviewed and watching the replay there's no doubt that the clock hit zero and the buzzer sounded with the ball still in his hands.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next