It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Sun Times !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:23 pm 

Let me see if I can be more succinct. I do not think we are a TOP 25 team either. My point is that out of all the possible angles and story lines the Sun Times could have printed ,,,they chose to basically write an article saying...."Why pay attention to Loyola? Nothing here?" No real examination of our wins or our losses....which cluster around Custers injury.There are many, many different, interesting stories they could have chosen. On a side note...Still no Real article on Milton Doyle...a Chicago kid, who went to a Chicago public high school, choose to come home to play and now has an NBA contract.
I would add Bill Jauss as a legit sports journalist who was more than fair to the Ramblers.
I still contend if we make the NCAA I would put the Chicago journalist in the back of the room.....

and I received some great advice from Lady Graybee today.....so instead of buying a Sun Times to burn in my driveway......I took one from the barbershop today ...to burn in my drive way. wouldnt burn....No substance!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:38 pm 

Natey !! Say HI ! to Lady Graybee Wonderful Gal !! I did forget about Bill Jauss--Fine objective Journalist !! We are quickly running out of folks like that.
This team of ours is the BEST in Illinois but one would never know it-- By comparison if ZIPS ever got as good as we are , the ABJ would be screaming it over and over all the time !!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 pm 

I called Steve out on twitter.

I don't object to the lack of Top 25 but the way he framed the article. He ignored all of the quality factors that SHOULD be considered for this team in favor of asking a bunch of likely biased voters their thoughts. Of course they don't follow us closely. Hell, the Sun-Times barely follows us closely and they're in the same town! Fact is, as a sports writer on this beat, he should be framing LU in a positive light. Instead, he's written 2 total articles about LU in the past year and both were backhanded compliments (I called him out on both).

I'm also not about to jump on the media bandwagon because they have decided we are finally a story. For years, they ignored us...gave us 2 sentence write-ups all while wondering why Chicagoans don't pay attention to us. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 pm 

The Sun-Times article for me is just kind of blah. Doesn't say anything that knowledgeable fans (like those on this board) don't already know.

I had a brief exchange with Teddy Greenstein of the Tribune after thanking him for his coverage of the Mo State game. He seems genuinely excited by the Ramblers and predicted more coverage to come. Shannon Ryan showing up last night was huge - as far as I know, as the lead college basketball writer for the Trib, she had never been to Gentile. As far as I know. Sports journalism lives on negativity, but you still catch more flies with honey... Tell Shannon how great it was to see her at the game (sryan@chicago.tribune.com). Don't forget to copy tbannon@tribune.com, the sports editor.