It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sun Times !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm 

I just finished reading article about Forgotten Loyola !! What unmitigated GALL !! The Press in Chgo has acted as if we are located in VERMONT or outer space !!

It is part of their job to cover us !! They do not WE are as much of a sports entity as is NW Illinois or the Heavenly Notre Dame reams, !! DISGUSTING !!

BFW The Akron Beacon and Plain Dealer BOTH run regular stories re the Zips and Cleve ST et al !!

Post subject: Re: Sun Times !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:50 pm 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/loy ... ter-moser/

I am guessing this is the article to which brot is referring.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:17 pm 

Garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 am 

Thanks Nunc !! That was the article--I am NOT a compuiter guy !! So now all can read this drivel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:33 am 

the system sucks... I am curious to know if schools target voters with information? If so I wonder if LU does.......Because really four of the losses were kind of situational......Boise State ..what was that 3 games in 5 days as well as going Coast to Coast.... UMW, ISU and MSU were without our point guard. My hope is the NCAA committee is not the same as the AP 25 crew.....and if we make it to the NCAA would not let one of those jokers into the press conference. And the STUPID Sun Times.....I would think would want subscribers but you never know.....should be writing up Loyola...Seems to me they have an angle.....and it is probably pro ND or DP.......what a joke.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 am 

ll Natey--My suspicion all this started with Arch Ward and the Trib who really lobed ND and the Big Ten==Te Sun merely became what they are today NOTHING !! Only real reporter was Jim Enright of the Examiner--Plus he was an excellent Ref and showman--When he left the scene so did real COLLEGE reporting of CHGO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am 

We are getting votes in the Coach's Poll, six votes last week, putting us at 35th. I know I wouldn't vote for us in the Top 25, unless I was trying to make a larger point. If we'd lost at Boise by 8 points instead of 34, and if we hadn't lost at Milwaukee (let alone by 17 points), I would definitely consider us for a spot in the 20-25 range. But the fact is, we not only lost those two games, we lost them by margins that spell weakness in multiple areas.

Yes, I'm really excited and gratified and enthusiastic about this year's team. But I also want to get to the place where Wichita State was before they left the MVC, and where Butler, Creighton, and Xavier are now. None of those teams became regular inhabitants of the Top 25 in one, sudden moment or in one season. Voters had to get used to them as a legit Top 25 contender. Maybe this article was meant to introduce voters to the idea of Loyola being worthy of votes, maybe it was a passive-aggressive knock on our program.

As we continue to play well and learn how to win institutionally, and our fans begin to show up on a regular basis, and the local media begins to train itself to think of us as a team that should be good, there will be votes in the Top 25. For right now, I'd almost want to keep below the radar to take advantage of being underestimated by opponents.

Lastly, has anyone noticed that our RPI (49) is now higher than Florida's (54)?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:42 pm 

I didn't really read this as a slight from the writer...? More just a realistic examination of why we aren't getting top 25 votes. At least someone out there is taking the time to wonder what the deal is.

I think if nothing else it reveals how flawed the top 25 voting process is overall as one voter writes us off after seeing one exceptionally bad game, while also failing to acknowledge the history of the MWC/MVC challenges consistent results of home teams winning (and ignoring the context of our travel, which admittedly isn't realistic to expect random writers across the country to be privy too).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:44 pm 

I think we’re closer in a lot of voters minds than this article states. As JCT points out, you only get points if voters think you should be in the top 25. They don’t vote top 40. And we’re getting votes in the coaches poll.

We’re very close in Seth Davis’ ballot (teams just outside his top 25):

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm 

Should be mentioned that Shannon Ryan from the Tribune attended last night and wrote a game story. They had a photographer, too.