It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Conference Season
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 am 

The real season starts Friday. What do you think are achievable goals for this team?

I think we should have a good chance in every game. We will inevitably have a letdown game or two, but I just hope it doesn't happen in a game we really should win.

Some of my goals would be:

- undefeated at home (We should be favored in every game)
- 4 road wins. Win against the bottom four or steal one at MSU, UNI, etc.
- that would be 13 conference wins which would be a great season and probably enough to
- finish top 2 in the league
- average more than 2,000 fans per game

We can really set a tone for the season by going to Springfield and winning on Friday night. Hope Ben will be back.

Go Ramblers!

Post subject: Re: Conference Season
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 am 

It will be an interering few months. I think we’re good enough to beat everyone in the conference...but I also think every team in the conference has shown they’re good enough to beat us on any given night.

I think 12 wins is realistic. But with that, I’m hopeful for 14 based on the potential we’ve shown...and fearful of 8 or 9 based on the potential every other team has shown.

Averaging 2,000 is definitely realistic. If we get off to a good start, that may be low. Especially with none of the “big name” conference home games occurring during break. Now, that’s assuming students come back a few days early for Bradley...but based on the ticket sales map, there’s already a lot sold even for that game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:24 pm 

Some unkown factors will probably determine how we do
1. We really need the experience of Custer and Richardson....so when they come back will be important....Richardson will depend on when hand is ready and Custer for ligament to heal...Good news is Richardson has been able to work out. At Milwaukee , Richardson would have shut down Shull and Custer would have broke the zone....When Richardson is healthy he can lock down the #1 guard and Ingram #1 forward... While Ingram was able to lock down Shul in 2nd half...we never did have anyone to help break down the zone...and now add Negron to the list...although this is at this point just a depth issue.
2. How well will the freshman continue to play against better competition and the grind of important game after important game as well as new players like Avery...who really looked lost and discouraged against UWM.
3. Can we find a way to consistently succeed against the zone. Two losses against two zones....The 2nd half in which we outscored UWM we really attacked the zone....particularly Townes

Hopefully we still one at MSU and then really heal over the Christmas week.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:32 pm 

In regard to achieveable team goals, I'd like to see:
Consistent play from game to game. No more UWM outings.
Reduction of uncontested three's by an opposing player who is obviously "on" in a given game.
Being ready to go at the start of the game, no digging out of holes. Lets have the attitude adjustments prior to gametime, instead of after a slow first half.
Expecting to win on the road, then doing it. It's the same court? Same ref's( in conference) Right?
Beat opponents who are playing well, because we are playing better.
I hope to see player progress in terms of:
Reduction of repeating the same turnovers by the same guys i.e. traveling,
Recognition of game situations which call for slowing the pace or speeding it up..
Getting to the line more AND making the free throws. It seems the free throw issue has been an LU
"thing" for awhile.
Saying the above, I agree this is potentially the best group of kids we have had, and I follow and wish for success at every step. I just think the Valley should be "doable" and get frustrated to hear we don't expect better than three or four road wins. The team I expect us to be will not be stuck in the mindset of thinking they are not skilled enough to win, and that some games are OK to lose, just because it been the way it has been. This guys are better than that. I hope this is the conference season they get over the hump. I would enjoy seeing the players enjoy the feeling of success, and wanting more.
Go Ramblers
PS, by the way, What is the usual way to beat a 2-3 defense, Anyone know what the plan should be? It seems you all think we will be seeing a lot of it....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:46 pm 

Ramblerguy - Great post. How many wins do you expect? Winning on the road is tough. We aren't going undefeated, so isn't 9-0 at home and about .500 on the road a good goal?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:28 pm 

Ahunte,
We are going off topic,but I am interested. Why is it a belief that winning on the road is tough?
It seems to me that talent should prevail no matter where the game is played. I am not so naive to not give points to crowd noise, etc., but talented players have been in that arena forever, No?
I know statistics will likely bear you out, but if our goal is to be a big time program, then is not winning on the road to become a reasonable expectation. If we have, for example, elevated to the MVC level of talent, why is it understandable to underperform at UWM?
EZ comparison is to look back on Wichita State, who we nearly beat over and over, but never did... Did LU and our fan base really think we were going to beat them at the end of a game, or did we just hope for a break to go our way, i.e. a ref's call. Did they ever expect to get beat just because it was a road game? They stood out because they won those games more often than anyone else. They showed attitude almost every game, and eventually played to their talent level. I believe we are close to that talent level physically, and skillwise, but do not know if we yet have that mental toughness to show the money as they say. On top of that, lets keep perspective and realize our players are students and humans, not pro's who we have a right to demand perfection. That's the fun and the pain of fandom at this level, isn't it?
MJ and the Bulls won 72 games, didn't particularly care where they were played, and gave none away for lack of effort., or because they ever were simply expected to lose because they were on the road.
Another example, I have been watching Milton Doyle play game after game for LI Nets, traveling and all that, yet put up consistent excellent numbers and effort. He has come to understand what is expected and consistently give it. He sees the game clearly, plays with confidence and plays 35+ minutes routinely. No excuses. He learned that at Loyola. I hope to see our players approach that level while in school at LU. Also, I do expect MD35 to be rewarded for the effort sooner or later.
I guess I am hoping our guys develop the belief that they are good enough to win, not just good enough.
We have seen them win the unexpected game, and show glimpses of their potential. Now I hope those glimpses become routine. I will be there to cheer and support for them all the way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:00 pm 

I hate to be " the Scrooge " of this holiday season- but let's look at the history of Porter Moser teams when the conference season starts.Yes,we have been down this path before with a good pre-conference record and then stumbled against conference opponents.Yes,I like this team better than previous ones,based on talent and depth,but as much as I would love to see them win conference and Arch Madness,I want to see the proof in the pudding.

Prove me wrong players and coaches,but I see a .500 conference season.Prove me wrong and start a new history of MVC finishes in the top echelon year after year.Until then<I don't want to get my hopes up too high.We are on the right track,but let's see if we stay on the track.I sure hope so,but I have my doubts.

I will be cheering my head off the rest of the year.Let's go RAMBLERS!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:58 am 

Ramblerguy wrote:
Ahunte,
We are going off topic,but I am interested. Why is it a belief that winning on the road is tough?
It seems to me that talent should prevail no matter where the game is played. I am not so naive to not give points to crowd noise, etc., but talented players have been in that arena forever, No?

We can and should win games on the road. It's the mark of an improving program. Defending your home court and holding serve on the road is a recipe for winning a conference championship. 14-4 would do it. I'm not sure we are good enough to get there.

One factor to not overlook is the travel itself. Streak knows all these details, but we had to take a 7 hour bus trip to Carbondale last year instead of flying. Before our game against St. Joe's we missed a practice or something because we got in so late the night before the game. Compare that to Wichita which could charter flights to every game. It makes a difference. (Even farther off topic, I don't think you can compare Wichita's talent and depth to ours over the past several years. Maybe this year we could challenge them again and get a win, but they've had multiple NBA players, All-Americans, and 8-10 guys that can step up any given game. Don't let them distort what constitutes success.)

Ramblerguy wrote:
I know statistics will likely bear you out, but if our goal is to be a big time program, then is not winning on the road to become a reasonable expectation. If we have, for example, elevated to the MVC level of talent, why is it understandable to underperform at UWM?

I don't think it's understandable. It's frustrating and disappointing. But I think we should be prepared for it to happen again. These are college kids, and even the best teams have a clunker every now and then. We shouldn't treat it like the end of the world.

Ramblerguy wrote:
I guess I am hoping our guys develop the belief that they are good enough to win, not just good enough.
We have seen them win the unexpected game, and show glimpses of their potential. Now I hope those glimpses become routine. I will be there to cheer and support for them all the way.

Me too!

I notice you didn't answer the question about what you think our record will be. I'll put you down for 18-0! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm 

Ahunte1
I left my predictions off the last post to see how sharp you are... Very good.
I like 13-5 for conference. Could easily slide down but not likely to rise higher.
By the way, I would find that result very acceptable.
Thanks for your feedback on last post. Good points raised.
This conference season will certainly be a nail biter over and over and over.....
Go Ramblers......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:12 am 

So....did we meet our goals for the conference season?