It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 pm 

Well What can I add to the above posts ??? Oh I have been a Rambler since 1947 !! Witnessed some good to great teams--Winning a lot in the Stadium against the best in its time--Ky UCLA OKLA A and M (Now O ST) Manhattan Holy Cross et al--I did see us take Duke apart in 1963---took time off to help Lor raise kids !! This team has not yet made the Dance but when they doin a week or so. I will say THIS RAMBLER TEAM is the second best of all LOYOLA BB Teams of all--NO QUESTION !!

Now then regardless of what I wrote re S Ill on another thread, we are CHAMPIONS of a HAS BEEN league--Frazier Bird Melchiorre and little else over the years--
We had to leave the Horizon--We did -- And now Porter and his team run the roost--Onward from here !!

BTW in my mind only the ACES because of their tragic history and the classy way they have handled it over the years get a pass from me--

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:27 pm 

I don't think that I'll realize how great this season has been until the season over! Congrats to Porter and the team! Can't wait to see the the crowd celebrate the championship on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm 

brot4britu wrote:
Well What can I add to the above posts ??? Oh I have been a Rambler since 1947 !! Witnessed some good to great teams--Winning a lot in the Stadium against the best in its time--Ky UCLA OKLA A and M (Now O ST) Manhattan Holy Cross et al--I did see us take Duke apart in 1963---took time off to help Lor raise kids !! This team has not yet made the Dance but when they doin a week or so. I will say THIS RAMBLER TEAM is the second best of all LOYOLA BB Teams of all--NO QUESTION !!

Now then regardless of what I wrote re S Ill on another thread, we are CHAMPIONS of a HAS BEEN league--Frazier Bird Melchiorre and little else over the years--
We had to leave the Horizon--We did -- And now Porter and his team run the roost--Onward from here !!

BTW in my mind only the ACES because of their tragic history and the classy way they have handled it over the years get a pass from me--

I disagree with you, Brot. I think this is a great league with a great future, and I'm damn grateful that we are part of it. I hope we can be a leader in this conference, helping to update the image and make it a city-friendly conference.

I remember when the MCC was a great league-- Loyola, Xavier, Marquette, St. Louis, Dayton, Evansville, Butler, Detroit.... etc. What sunk it was mismanagement, loss of vision, greed, bending the rules, favoritism, small thinking, cutting corners, etc. I like where we are and who we're affiliated with. In some ways, I like it even better without Wichita State, a fan base who (online, at least) had a sour, bullying attitude about their dealings with others. I hope we never get to be like that, and I hope no one else in this conference does either.

I think the conference is going in the right direction. We're not going to have any teams below 200 in the RPI this year. Some good coaches have come in at Bradley and Drake. I like some of the young talent in the league.... Childs at Bradley looks great, Krutwig and Williamson at Loyola, Noah Thomas at Drake (and they have good recruits next year). Imagine Pickford as a senior if he continues to improve each year.

I can see the MVC passing the AAC and Pac 12 when they have down years, if we work together and schedule with an eye to support the conference. We'll have down years, too, when we're 10th or 11th behind the A-10, West Coast, and MWC. I'd like to see all the teams bump up their budgets to the low 3 mil range, and share marketing tactics and results with each other so we're not all reinventing the wheel on our own on building attendance, scheduling, and communications techniques. I think we can do that in this league, and help make everyone better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 pm 

I'm not a Loyola grad and I've only had season tickets for a few years, so I can't imagine how most of you are feeling tonight.

However, I can honestly say this season has been one of the most enjoyable I've experienced as a sports fan, especially with the great group of players and coaches this program has. And certainly with beating those jerks in Gainesville. :lol:

The nice part is that it's not over yet, and the best is hopefully yet to come.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:32 am 

Well It is what it is John !! Our job is like Wichita--to dominate this bunch--Adding Valpo was great--Class act they !! Recall what was said and written re Porter--real poison i considered the sources --mostly Peoria and Carbondale for sure--Porter is above it all and did the one thing he could do--knock their socks off--He has done it Has he ever !!

Now let us ude thus bunch as a step stone to the dance.

BTW Henson a fine Coach gets rotten treatment by his "FANS" But they so not know any better

Sorry John this old buzzard knows what he knows . We will just have to be top dog in this bunch `for a long time

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 am 

Congrats to the Loyola Ramblers on your MVC Regular Season Title! May you guys continue on to the Arch Madness crown and the NCAA invite!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:06 am 

I've only been a Rambler since the Whitesell era (and I missed Blake Schlib by 1 year so its been a rough decade)...I honestly never thought this day was going to come (perhaps because Im a Browns fan). It is truly great to see what a commitment from the administration and a coach with a strong vision can do. I think we would all be remiss if we didnt send a thank you former players like Joe Crisman, Jeff White and of course Milton Doyle who, I believe, played a huge role in shifting the culture to get us to this moment. The players on the team today also deserve all the praise in the world for making it happen. Finally I cannot help but feel especially happy that Sister Jeans health was able to get back in order in time for her to see this day. When I was in school she was a comfort to me during some tough times, and we bonded over the team together, so I know that today is a dream come true for her.

Lets party and celebrate on Saturday with almost 5k other Ramblers fans!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 am 

Classy 44 truly CLASSY !! My LONGSHOT LOR is looking down on all of us railbirds with joy !!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:55 pm 

From Indiana State beat writer, Todd Golden:

Quote:
Around the MVC, Loyola didn't creep over the finish line to win the Missouri Valley Conference championship, they're running away with it Wichita State-style.

The Ramblers defeated Southern Illinois 75-56 at SIU Arena on Wednesday to clinch the MVC regular season title outright. Loyola has won 13 of its last 14. The only time Loyola has really been pushed in their victories was, gulp, ISU's fall-from-ahead 75-71 loss at Hulman Center on Feb. 10.

Loyola is up three games on second-place SIU. In a year where parity supposedly is the reality in the MVC, Loyola's ease in winning the championship is even more impressive considering.

I'm very happy for Loyola coach Porter Moser. In my early years on the beat, he was at Illinois State and was somewhat unfairly let go relatively early in his tenure. At Loyola, he had built a team to compete in the Horizon League and then suddenly get thrown the curveball of the MVC move. He essentially had to start over and re-adjust.

Loyola was patient with Moser and he paid off their patience. They're the team to beat in St. Louis. They're very disciplined offensively and have more scoring options than any team in the Valley.

The Ramblers are worthy champions, and while there's a long way to go at Loyola to build attendance and scrap for media attention in Chicago, it can finally be said that they're worthy additions to the MVC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:39 pm 

Congrats to all of you, well deserved!