It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2018-19 Schedule
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 am 

We really need a better non-con schedule next year.
Assuming NKU and Murray St. join the Valley (it was reported that the Assoc. Comm. of the MVC stated there will be 12 teams next year).

Non Con as of now:
1. home v.s. UMKC
2. @ UIC

Post subject: Re: 2018-19 Schedule
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 am 

Need a good MTE. Seems like a lot of them are already filling up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:42 am 

It's times like these that I miss the Basketball Travelers site.

Also, we're going to have a REALLY tough time scheduling next year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:08 am 

GoRamblers wrote:

Obviously, teams from the P5 will not want a piece of us, but hopefully a lot of good mid majors will want us on their schedule...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:08 pm 

LU Rambler12 wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:

Obviously, teams from the P5 will not want a piece of us, but hopefully a lot of good mid majors will want us on their schedule...

And that's where scheduling Q1/Q2 games is going to be a problem. If we get a home game, they've got to be in the top 30 for a Q1 and top 75 for a Q2. That's a very high bar. If we had a return game from Florida with the same RPI they have this year, it would be a Q2 game. If we had a game against Miami at home next year with the same RPI they have now (28), if we beat them, their RPI might drop below the Q1 cutoff.

If we get a road game, they've got to be in the top 75 for Q1 and 135 for Q2. I'd look for some A10 teams like Saint Bonnies and Saint Louis (why can't we get these teams on the schedule??!??!) and BYU or St. Mary's from the West Coast Conference, plus a guarantee game and a challenging MTE. As we've learned this year, losses against good teams are often totally forgiven as long as you get a couple of wins.

In conference, I think Illinois State and maybe Southern Illinois have the potential to be a top 75 RPI team next year. Maybe Bradley. However SIU and ISU have been notorious as slow-starting teams that have some disappointing results in the non-con. It might be time for the MVC to get together with the A10, MWC, West Coast, and MAC to strategize on how to break the lock on P5+BE scheduling. Maybe it's time to start using non-revenue sports as a tool to force more equitable revenue sport scheduling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:00 pm 

I hope we schedule a buy game at Kansas and let Clayton do Clayton.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 am 

I’m of the opinion that we will have a improved schedule from this year. I think a lot of bubble teams realized I win against us would have probably help them. It’s a gamble playing us but a win will also help a team as we will most likely be towards the top of our conference next year.

I also think teams like DePaul and northwestern might consider games with us now, but for no other reason then to try to win recruiting battles for some of the local kids.

Overall, I think if this season has taught us anything it’s that there is really only ONE way to beat the system in place, and that’s winning the conference tournament. I’m far more concerned with recruiting than the schedule. We need to build a team to win the MVC - bottom line. As long as we don’t have d2 teams on the schedule I’ll be happy. Creighton, saint Louis, Marquette, northwestern, DePaul, Dayton, Marquette, Butler.... any of these schools o would like to see on our schedule next year. Ultimately though it doesn’t matter what we do until saint Louis.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 am 

The first thing that came to my mind when it comes to scheduling was last seasons ISUr. Supposedly they missed the bubble because of SOS (which was going to be our issue this season if we hadn't gotten through ArchM). This years ISUr SOS was much improved over last season and in my opinion would have had a shot at an at large if they would have put together much better record. The reason I bring this up is that somehow they were able to put together a much better schedule after their great RPI season. So.... hopefully that will also be the case for us next year!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am 

I think UNI was also getting some better non-con scheduling because of their success over the past 12-15 years. From 2003-04 to 2015-16, they had seven trips to the NCAA Tournament, four tournament wins, a Sweet 16, 13 straight seasons above .500, 10 20-win seasons, and one 30-win season. That's a great PROGRAM, not just a great team for one or three years. When you do it every year for a decade and a half, other teams can rely on you to have a decent RPI even if you're not putting everything together for a particular season.

So we need to schedule better next year, and follow this season up with another top 100 RPI year, at least. Maybe we can schmooze at the tournament-- we always send people there, but now we've got enough name recognition and personnel on the ground to fan out and try to cut some home and home or 2-for-1s with Top 100 programs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:58 pm 

Yea I suppose we don't have the multi year history of success to give those top 100 teams the confidence in us to pull it off two years in a row. I would be shocked if we were a 200rpi team next year... but we surely can't prove it to other programs that may be skeptical.