It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: 2018-19 Schedule
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 pm 

Take a look at Miami's non-conference schedule: http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/ ... /Miami-(FL)

They only played two teams with an RPI better than 170 on their non-con schedule, and that was two really good mid-majors in an MTE. They played only two true road games on their schedule, at Minnesota (part of the Big 10/ACC Challenge) and at George Washington. Yet Miami was far above Loyola in the SOS measurement, mostly because Miami only played one team with an RPI worse than 250--- Loyola played SEVEN teams worse than 230. But one of those teams had a 33 RPI last year and a 52 RPI the year before that.

If Middle Tennessee State and New Mexico State had one or two losses more than they did, their games at neutral court against The U wouldn't have been Q1 games for them. If they happened to have RPIs at 51, they'd be Q2 games. But Miami was going to have 4-8 Q1 games in conference, and just three Q1 wins is going to give them a better at large seed than almost any Mid Major auto bid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:15 am 

It's 6am here... help me a bit more here!?!? Is your point that we already need to switch conferences??? I really hope that's not what you were trying to get across.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:34 am 

Robbie Aces wrote:
It's 6am here... help me a bit more here!?!? Is your point that we already need to switch conferences??? I really hope that's not what you were trying to get across.

Not at all. Just saying there should be pushback when media or authority figures suggest that failing to schedule high majors is a one way street, or that it's due to a "lack of courage" or some other "character flaw."

And I was also pointing out that teams that are 6-9 in their Q1/Q2 games should not be considered twice as good or twice as worthy as a team that is 3-2. That kind of mentality is creeping into the at large and seeding discussions as though it's somehow logical that a team that's successful 40% of the time is better than a team that's successful 60% of the time just because they get more chances.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:14 pm 

I for one...am looking at things differently....I think this is going to make schools like Marquette and ND and even Northwestern look at us differently. I think we will have a stronger schedule next year...Also think the sell out against ISU and strong crowd showing at the MVC championship game will help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm 

Notre Dame is fine with me !! Marquette ?? Nope !! We played them for years when they were little better than ordinary--NOW ?? We need them NOT !!

I wager we will see a nice selection of better teams--Maybe a WC trip--Gonzaga San Fran St Marys et al--Maybe an Eastern journey--St Bonny Duquesne Boston C Seton Hall etal--OR another South trek-- Wake Forest Georgia Fla St et al Maybe the likes of Minnesota Nebraska Va Tech Iowa and others would come to Gentile along with Jllinois and Ind or some such--I do believe that Porter and Watson will get calls to have better teams play us !!

We have proven that we can be competitive-- and !! next years team should be good AGAIN !!

Oh I fogot00Mich Rt and Purdue are friends as well !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 pm 

I had a feeling Nevada would be our home challenge game next year. They were the only home team this year we have not played. Plus similar records. Finally heard UMKC is the opener. Tues 11/6/18 is opening night.