It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PITY !!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:30 pm 

Two old time rivals OUT--Butler could not beat a banged up Purdue--Wichita just really got smacked !! They are done --We are not !! Am somehat sad for most of their fans--I say MOST--Trouble is did WSU cheat ?? Pay a player ?? Butler' s ARCH is a good guy--BUT most of the rest ?? I pass

Post subject: Re: PITY !!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 pm 

Brot you forgot about our old friends at Whiny or I mean Wright State!! If you blinked since the tournament started you missed them!!

By the way--word is Biancardi is a crook!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:19 pm 

I don't blame Butler for leaving the HL for the A10. That's a good conference, and given what we all know about the Horizon, even with the favoritism that the home team for the conference tournament headquarters regularly received. That was a wise and somewhat gutsy move. The A10 (and later the New Big East) was a good match for them.

WSU's move out of the MVC was much more cynical. They didn't like the MVC because the MVC didn't cater to their demands for everything to be slanted their way. They wanted/expected/demanded the kind of treatment the HL gave to Butler, because they spent more (much of it Koch Brothers money) to win more, and to ultimately get more fans. And every argument came back to the money they were spending-- the arena was refurbished by Koch money, the coach was retained/paid for by Koch money, which allowed more money to go to having more control over their schedule, more money on recruiting, better buy games, etc. They had the budget of a major in a mid-major conference, but they never made the connection or realization that the element that separated them from the rest of the conference was DONATED CASH IN GIANT PILES, and not their inherent brilliance or high basketball IQ or superior effort or fantastic personalities or outrageous good looks.

And so they join a conference that has a whole lot of the SAME OR WORSE DEFICIENCIES they were decrying as intolerable about the MVC ONLY A FEW WEEKS EARLIER: bad attendance (Houston averages less than 4k, Tulane less than 2k, etc.), inconvenient travel to Wichita (Connecticut, North Carolina, Florida, Louisiana, and Philadelphia? Really?), athletic programs distracted by football, inferior facilities (Tulane plays in a 4000-seat building from 1933), etc. Most of the teams in the AAC are programs that have been through three or four failed, blown up, or mismatched conferences-- Cincinnati, Memphis, Wichita, and Tulsa kind of deserve each other as schools that were 60s MVC teams that thought they were far too good for the others. It's a conference made up almost entirely of schools that chased the brass ring (football success, higher status, a conference where they decided all the rules) and ended up orphaned by hubris. And that's a commonality that usually doesn't end well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:57 pm 

Tulane Arena ??? My daughter teased me quite a lHer comments went something like this--
I love my GREENIE place !! At least {aul and I did NOT bump our heads after a basket by the WAVE !!!"

Nice report JCT It does seem like there are a lot of misfits or poor matches in that Conf.-- I suspect there might be some drop outs soon !!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm 

Dang Brot, and here I am, coming over to say you are (and have been) a tourney favorite of mine!

No matter, I'm really happy for you and all of your long time fans. This run feels like destiny. You guys deserve it after all of the tough years. I love the way this team fights - shock the world!

Would love to see a Rambler v. Villanova final. I think it can happen.

Long time Butler fans are rooting you on. Enjoy the run!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:10 pm 

Hey, Nildogg!

I remember you well from some really great, good-natured, sometimes pretty clever sparring back in the Nineties and Oughts.

I guess you can see now that our talk about being treated unfairly in the HL might have had some kernel of truth in it. Here we are with a CBI championship and (at least) a trip to the Elite Eight in less than five years after leaving the HL. Oh well....

How about if Butler can get Loyola on the schedule? I think it might help both of us, and help renew a long, rich rivalry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:44 pm 

Good grief !! NILLY !! There you are right there in my like some Butlers along with Arch !! Great to hear from you !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:28 am 

I just want to know if CigarBoy has stopped by to say hello?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 am 

CB hasn't stopped by lately. He's registered, I believe, but hasn't posted for a long time. I have exchanged many Twitter messages with him in the past several years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:47 am 

MY real problem with BOY was and is he IS a TAKER !! He found his niche for this--He IS a POL in Nebraska !!