It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:40 pm 

FWIW https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/2939868

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:55 pm 

Also, for the jobs mentioned (no FBI 7; they're all wild cards)

Porter is probably Plan G at Louisville, and that apparently is moot if Mack takes the job.
Xavier will stay in house if Mack leaves and hire the Associate head coach Travis Steele. Outside chance they go after Pat Kelsey at Winthrop (former XU player). Barring tragedy, those two are the list.
If Hurley stays at URI, UConn will go after either Oats (Buffalo), Schmidt (Bonnies), tim cluess (Iona), Musselman (Nevada) or Pikiell (Rutgers). They'll probably have to find someone with strong Northeast ties.
Pitt is probably his best chance. They hired Eddie Fogler, who Grace Calhoun used to hire Porter, to lead their search. Their AD has never hired a men's basketball coach before, had financial trouble at her previous school, and comes from a compliance heavy background (sound familiar?). Even so, they're probably looking at Willard from Seton Hall (a Pitt alum) or going through the UConn list. Again, of all the open jobs, I think this is the place where's he's most likely to land if he moves, and even then I put him at 10% to get the Pitt job.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm 

Agree w JCT - there’s not a lot of “big” jobs open right now that are a good fit. Most of the open jobs would be lateral at best. Of course one coach leaves a big program for another and then the chain reaction opens other jobs.

In addition to the other reasons to stay that each of you have put out there (which are all good), I would add a few:
- sustained success means opportunity to own Chicago (and maybe even Illinois)
- not fighting for resources with a football program the way you will at another school
- proof (between Northwestern last year and us this year) that the media will pay attn to a successful program, but at the same time not the media/fan pressure you get at other places
- you’ll get everything you want at Loyola, you know all the decision makers, and you’re comfortable here; you really want to go to some school that might dump you in two years?

My suggestions
- Extension, salary increase, etc
- annuity - maybe we can’t do 1.5m/year, but that way you make sure he’s set long-term if he stays
- big big buyout - at least Loyola would benefit if he ever leaves
- increase salary pool for assistants
- increase budget for travel and recruiting
- take care of people around the program - from training staff to sports info
- determine who on staff gets the job if/when Porter leaves in the next few years. That let’s you build off his culture and direction vs starting over with an outsider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:23 pm 

Great suggestions, Furley. Especially bumping the assistant coaches. Mullins is going to be a hot commodity, and his work with the defense is a huge part of the turnaround.

The announcement of the training facility couldn't have come at a better time, for recruiting new athletes and for retaining personnel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:47 am 

I will bring a few more things to light on this:

1) His name is on multiple power 5 "want" lists. I don't think it is understood how much his stock has risen on a national level. The stint under Majerus refreshed his career and this turnaround has pushed him through the ceiling. In a "now" based society - he is the now...Nationally.
2) The odds we pay enough to keep him are pretty low in my opinion. And I am not talking 1.5 per year. I am talking 800-900k per year, but 8-9 years guaranteed.
3) If he leaves, Custer is gone, possibly Townes.
4) The defense runs through Majerus' philosophy. Mullins is red hot - but the D is what Porter learned from Rick and what Mullins has learned from Porter. Mullins is going to be a really good coach one day.
5) We all seem to be saying Loyola is the safe option - why leave? etc. In his mind, he has to believe that with the right resources he could take a power 5 and become a player on the national scene year in year out. I don't think its a foregone conclusion that he would be fired somewhere else in 2-3 years.
6) My huge fear is simple: If Watson, Rooney and the board do not get together and basically give him what he wants, I fear it will be another 30+ years till we see this again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 am 

rambling16 wrote:

1) His name is on multiple power 5 "want" lists. I don't think it is understood how much his stock has risen on a national level.

Correct.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:36 am 

rambling16 wrote:

1) His name is on multiple power 5 "want" lists. I don't think it is understood how much his stock has risen on a national level. The stint under Majerus refreshed his career and this turnaround has pushed him through the ceiling. In a "now" based society - he is the now...Nationally.
2) The odds we pay enough to keep him are pretty low in my opinion. And I am not talking 1.5 per year. I am talking 800-900k per year, but 8-9 years guaranteed.
3) If he leaves, Custer is gone, possibly Townes.
4) The defense runs through Majerus' philosophy. Mullins is red hot - but the D is what Porter learned from Rick and what Mullins has learned from Porter. Mullins is going to be a really good coach one day.
5) We all seem to be saying Loyola is the safe option - why leave? etc. In his mind, he has to believe that with the right resources he could take a power 5 and become a player on the national scene year in year out. I don't think its a foregone conclusion that he would be fired somewhere else in 2-3 years.
6) My huge fear is simple: If Watson, Rooney and the board do not get together and basically give him what he wants, I fear it will be another 30+ years till we see this again.

Man, this was a depressing post. Not disagreeing. But definitely depressing. Wish we could give Porter whatever he wants and seize this moment--turn him into a Mark Few type guy who sticks around and builds a perennial power. But I understand the limitations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 am 

I have been working on a feature story for the site about how bad things were for the program in the 90s. In researching, I found a Tribune article about how Gene Sullivan went out.... it was ugly. Basically, there were some academic problems, there was a new AD (Schwarz), the President (Baumhart) wasn't ever too keen on athletics, and there was a bad season in an empty International Amphitheater (which probably cost a lot on top of being inconvenient and empty).

That is not likely to happen here, not now. I think there's some money to get up into the 600-700k area pretty easy if the athletics department can "promise" revenue through ticket sales. Getting higher than that until it's proven we can draw well might be more difficult.

I am still skeptical that he's a hot name in P5 territory with only one conference finish better than 4th. Yes, rebuilding Loyola into a fundamentally sound, top 50 men's basketball program and doing what Rey, Burmeister, Farmer, and Whitesell all failed to do is very close to a miracle. But probably most of us here who have never taken our eyes off the program weren't sure as recently as early January (after we started 1-2 in conference with a home loss to Indiana State) if this year was going to end up as better than a B or B+ season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:17 am 

I don't think he'd be in the discussion for a top P5 job (e.g. Louisville), but depending on who takes the open P5 jobs (e.g. Chris Mack at Xavier), more dominoes will begin to fall and that's when I'll get nervous.

There aren't a ton of non-P5 coaches above Porter in the "pecking order", imo. I'd say Eric Musselman at Nevada, Dan Hurley at URI, Mark Few at Gonzaga, Chris Mack at Xavier, Cronin at Cincy, Marshall at Wichita. Maybe some other Big East coaches.

The coaching carousel always takes unexpected turns which means I won't be completely comfortable until opening tipoff next season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:30 am 

I have no sources on this ( just an opinion), but I think Moser stays here. While he is a hot property, I think the upgrade in facilities here, the fact that he and the school own Chicago (and should for the short term as no other team cam get there act together), and the fact that he's a Majerus disciple. To Majerus, it wasn't the job, but the situation you were in. I think Moser isn;t the type of guy that is going to go a P5 job because it's a P5 job - especially if it's not Midwest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next