It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:57 pm 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/loy ... cher-deal/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 pm 

I just hope they pay him towards the top of the valley and sweeten that with owning the camp 100%, increase assistant pay and provide a long length of contract.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:53 am 

I hope Porter stays. If he doesn't my top two choices to replace him are:

1. Pat Baldwin, Milwaukee Head Coach
2. Steve Hawkins, Western Michigan Head Coach

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:23 am 

He's done an absolutely tremendous job here, and I won't begrudge him if he decides to move on, much like with Shane Davis. I hope the university is serious about making a very competitive offer to him. I think he can still accomplish a lot more here. At the same time, while things are good now, he had to put up with a whole lot of crap for the first few years. From the drama with Calhoun to having an interim AD for such a long time. It's been a long road, and the grass could look greener somewhere else. The risk is you sign a big deal and if you miss the tournament for a couple years those big schools won't thing twice about firing you and you've back where you started. He an write his own ticket here as far as I'm concerned. I hope the administration agrees.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 pm 

Stop.

There is no controversy. Moser will be here next year, and probably the year after that, even if we go to the Final Four.

There are only about 20, MAYBE 25 jobs Moser would consider leaving Loyola for. Almost all of them have coaches who are doing well. Half of the handful that MIGHT be looking for coaches aren't going to pay too much more than we're ready and willing to pay. The remainder are jobs that are probably looking for someone with multiple years of winning and tournament appearances before they'd bite on Moser, even if we go further than we've gone now.

It would take a perfect storm for him to leave what he himself has made into a very good situation: another year or two of tournament-level success, Loyola balking at a second raise, some kind of tension in the athletic dept. that doesn't exist now bubbling to the forefront, some big, BIG money in the six figures, somebody retiring at a suitable school, AND Porter's family situation going along with the decision.

Those are a lot of things that need to happen for him to leave, and several of them are in Loyola's control.

P.S. When I was doing the preview for the Miami game, I noticed that Jim Larranaga's salary at Miami is "only" about $1.5 million. He took a mid-major to a Final Four, has only had five seasons under .500 in 32 years as a head coach (the last one was 20 years ago), works at a ACC school with football money, has a 4-4 tournament record with Miami in 7 seasons, and has over 600 career head coaching victories. Last year, there was one MVC coach making twice that, one making 60% of that, and one making 40% of that. So there is precedent for Moser getting a big bump.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:08 pm 

In mi opinion--HE STAYS--He builds upon this HUGE success that is NOW once again LUC !!

The MEDIA is firmly finally with LUC--OMG I feel as if we are NOTRE DAME !!!

This present LUC admin WILL take care of PM and staff !!

BTW one CANNOT buy all this insane fabulous publicity we are getting !!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm 

As I said before -- be prepared. The attention and accolades he has received winning these 2 games is pretty incredible. As for job openings -- he will be short listed at some major schools. To your point JCT it does not mean he's going anywhere.

However, there will be more openings than you think. Chris Mack to Louisville being the hottest rumor on the board right now. $5mm per year for 5 years. If that happens, I hope our AD is not caught flat footed because Xavier will be all over Porter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm 

I think Mark Schmidt is a much more likely and more logical hire for Xavier if Mack leaves.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm 

As I said in another thread, I think there are a few reasons why Porter stays:

1. Loyalty - Loyola hung with him even when things were tough. He didn't get that at ISU and he won't get that at a major school.
2. Rebuild - He almost certainly doesn't want to rebuild another program. It's really hard work and, see #1.
3. Family - His kids are all school aged. The oldest is at Loyola Academy. Continuity is important to him.
4. Money - It's my understanding that money is not an issue for the Moser family. So if LU comes up in salary, that'll probably be all he needs to stay.

It's easier to stay in place with a good salary and awesome job security than to go get a 3 year pay day and be back at square one .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next