It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:01 pm 

I'm with Ramblerguy in that I'm just trying to enjoy this season and not get too far ahead of what's next. Since I'm not the AD or President I can eat up these final couple weeks, and not worry much about this. However, it's obvious that Watson is looking at a new contract for Porter. I hope that if it's not in his contract already, we put in, what I call, "The VCU Clause."

VCU had a clause in each of its past head coaches that said if a coach leaves for another program they are required to schedule a home and home series in addition to the buyout. As a result they got home games against Oklahoma, Alabama, and Texas. I think that's a great idea to get a quality home game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:17 pm 

And Moser has been named NABC District 16 Coach of the Year.....

http://www.loyolaramblers.com/news/2018 ... -year.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:16 am 

Mark Few has been head coach at Gonzaga since 1999. He’s been at the school since 1989. He could have left for a bigger program probably every year since 2002. It’s reported that even after making the NCAA tourney every year, right now he’s making 1.3 million. He’s obviously found a place he loves and isn’t willing to trade that for a bigger opportunity. He’s living proof it’s not always about money in college coaching. Porter is in position to do the same thing in his hometown that he loves. No need to start worrying yet. We are not like UMBC... we have a lot to offer our coach that can keep him here. I think DePaul blew their shot with him last year. Northwestern isn’t making a coaching change. He’s going to get offers but I still think we are the most attractive option for him at this point in his career.

Also, remember that Loyola was patient with him. Let’s not forget that only three years ago there were a ton of people on this board that wanted him gone and for Loyola to “upgrade” to someone that could win in the valley. There’s no way you can tell me that 4 years ago Porter wasn’t a little worried about getting the chance to see his master plan come to fruition. You might even remember that he ran a ton of kids out of town because they weren’t his type of guys. Loyola also took a chance on him after 2 prior head coaching failures, and 4 years ago, despite some successes, things were looking like he was going to be a perpetual middle of the conference coach again. I would have to think he puts some value in Loyola staying with him through some turbulent times.

He’s got administration backing, a home in one of the nicest suburbs in his hometown, 4 kids in great schools, a nice contract extension coming his way, a solid recruitment pool in the Chicago Public League where he’s proven he can turn kids into winners on the national stage, a brand new state-of-art practice facility on the way, and a reinvigorated alumni base and student body behind him. He’s in a league that is set up for him to have a high chance at making the tournament year-in and year-out. He’s in a major city that he loves, and is getting well-wishing videos from players on the Chicago Cubs, who he worships. If we were Nevada (Reno) or Western Kentucky (Bowlng Green) or Wright State (Dayton) trying to keep a Chicago born, Chicago-loving coach like Porter, I’d be really concerned... but we are in a unique situation that has to be attractive to him. He grew up looking up to Chicago sports legends... and we have the platform to allow him to actually BE ONE... there’s really only 2 other schools in the country who would offer him that ... and they blow.

Keep Calm and Ramble On.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:39 pm 

Missouri State hires Dana Ford. Evansville hires Walter McCarty.

And in a surprise, Nike Medved is apparently leaving Drake for Colorado State.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:08 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:

It's all about the $$$.

Which makes me think, would Porter turn down a $2+ mill a year offer from a program like Pitt for instance? I certainly don't think we would match that...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 pm 

LU Rambler12 wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:

It's all about the $$$.

Which makes me think, would Porter turn down a $2+ mill a year offer from a program like Pitt for instance? I certainly don't think we would match that...

Would Drake target Mullins?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 pm 

Guys at Drake for one year and gone. So much for building culture there.
Colorado State plucks a guy that did not demonstrate any recruiting skill yet,
did not win his conference, etc. etc., Doesn't sound like a deeply thought out decision.
Likely not spending their own money, but the taxpayers.......
Sounds like Drake would target anyone with a pulse.

My headache is coming back..... less than four hours to go till game time. Focus here!
I've gotta trust the universe to get PM and LU to get it together...
RAMBLERS>>>>>>>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:48 pm 

Ramblerguy wrote:
My headache is coming back..... less than four hours to go till game time. Focus here!
I've gotta trust the universe to get PM and LU to get it together...
RAMBLERS>>>>>>>

Wine usually helps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:33 pm 

I would imagine that guys like Roy Williams and Coach K are probably starting to get a little nervous about their job security...Moser is GOD!!!!

Wooooooooooo!!!! Go Ramblers!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:45 am 

Chris Mack to visit Louisville this weekend. Rumor is Xavier will offer Porter first look at the opening and pay more than Mack makes now to get him. We need Sr. Jean to work some magic with board to get him paid and keep him here!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next