It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Patrick Shultz
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:02 am 

01grad wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:
swellafelon wrote:
This sucks big time. I guess they had to save money somehow to pay for Porter's raise, so they decided to balance the books on the back of one of their longest and most loyal employees.
Smells like a Tom Kelly move...

It's my understanding that this happened before or very early in the NCAA run. So Porter's raise had nothing to do with it.

Im pretty sure he was still with the Department during the Tournament. When I saw him in San Antonio, I believe he was still working for the school.

Yes, he was. He was basically told to find a new job. They didn't stop employment but they gave him an "end" date.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:03 am 

During the Sweet 16/Elite 8 run, Pat was still working the Men's Volleyball home matches on the PA. I ran into him just after the loss to Michigan at the team hotel and I presume he was still with the team.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:05 am 

GoRamblers wrote:
Yes, he was. He was basically told to find a new job. They didn't stop employment but they gave him an "end" date.

That just sucks.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 am 

No severance....not his choice,,,,,,and to put it in perspective Pat pre-dates Sr. Jean by 8 years and post dates Tom Hitcho by 8 which I think puts Pat in around the early 80's... This has taken some of the shine off the season for me...Ya know I rooted for the Ramblers as hard in an empty gym during a bad season as I did this year on the way to the Final Four..LU will always be more than a basketball team to me....I hope LU does not lose its way on the road to athletic renewal. If there was indeed a legitimate reason for dismissing Pat along the lines of a new business model for the athletic department....1. LU should have announced it publicly with a tip of the hat to Pat and 2. Also 30 years seems like it deserves something in terms of severance pay........Brot you brought up the morality of it....cant argue with that . Hope my Ethics 101 class wasnt a scam.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:22 am 

I'm sure Go has a source for his statement that this was in the works before Porter's contract was being renegotiated, but I don't understand what the rationale for the move was otherwise.
I hope Pat will still do the PA announcing on a freelance arrangement but that seems doubtful.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:23 am 

natetheskate wrote:
1. LU should have announced it publicly with a tip of the hat to Pat

This is the part that bothers me quite a bit. When someone has dedicated so much of his life to something, he deserves recognition and thanks--not rumors on the internet and a silent employer. Just a bad look.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 am 

natetheskate wrote:
No severance....not his choice,,,,,,and to put it in perspective Pat pre-dates Sr. Jean by 8 years and post dates Tom Hitcho by 8 which I think puts Pat in around the early 80's... This has taken some of the shine off the season for me...Ya know I rooted for the Ramblers as hard in an empty gym during a bad season as I did this year on the way to the Final Four..LU will always be more than a basketball team to me....I hope LU does not lose its way on the road to athletic renewal. If there was indeed a legitimate reason for dismissing Pat along the lines of a new business model for the athletic department....1. LU should have announced it publicly with a tip of the hat to Pat and 2. Also 30 years seems like it deserves something in terms of severance pay........Brot you brought up the morality of it....cant argue with that . Hope my Ethics 101 class wasnt a scam.

Agreed. Well said.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 am 

A lot of good posts here. Just wanted to thank Pat for everything he's done at Loyola, and like swella said, I do hope he remains involved. (Wasn't there a time several years ago when Pat was employed elsewhere but was still doing PA?) Like others, I am disappointed to hear that it was not amicable.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:58 am 

We should rename this thread to "B". Or add the "C" in Schultz. Lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 am 

Yes, you'd think Loyola was a moral institution. That is a front. No severance. No real reason they got rid of him other than wanting to bring in their own people. They've been giving him a hard time for a while now. Seems as though the final 4 finally gave them the ability to go through with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next