It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2018-19 team & needs
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:20 pm 

point............6-1 Clayton Custer..2yr starter.............6-4 Isaiah Bujdoso..no experience

2 guard.........6-4 Lucas Williamson..1 yr (768 min)....6-4 Bruno Skokna...2yr(528+435 min)
..................6-4 Tykei Green..no experience...........6-3 Cooper Kaifes...no experience

sm.forward.....6-4 210 Marques Townes..2yr starter.....NO BACKUP

power forward..6-7 210 Aher Uguak..140 min D1........6-7 215 Christian Negron..71 min D1

center............6-9 260 Cameron Krutwig..1 yr starter...6-9 225 Frank Agunanne..no experience

Red shirt transfer Tate Hall (6-7 200) who had 2 solid years in Division II, will have to sit out the season.

WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER SHOOTING GUARD. WE NEED EITHER A DECENT SIZED SMALL FORWARD, OR A BIG MAN TO LET EITHER UGUAK OR NEGRON BACK UP AT SMALL FORWARD (neither who would be called wide bodies).

Last year we had NO BACKUP AT POINT or SMALL FORWARD.

When Custer was out we went 2-3, with NO POINT GUARD BACKUP.

When Richardson was out at shooting guard, it was no problem, we went 6-1, with Williamson taking over, backed up by Satterwhite & Skokna.

When Townes was hurt with 7:55 minutes left in the in the Michigan game we were leading 47-42, but WE HAD NO BACKUP AT SMALL FORWARD (& Jackson, who had to backup at both center & power forward, was also hurt throughout the game, playing only 15 minutes & getting only 1 rebound; he sat for the last 4:59 of the game). With Townes out & LU playing with a 3 guard lineup, Michigan went on a 7-0 run to grab the lead 49-47, before Townes returned at the 6:20 minute mark. LU never regained the lead. LU played small ball for the rest of the game at times having Ingram at center & Townes at power forward & were eaten alive by the bigger Michigan lineup.

WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER SHOOTING GUARD. WE NEED EITHER A DECENT SIZED SMALL FORWARD AS A BACKUP, OR A BIG MAN TO LET EITHER UGUAK OR NEGRON BACK UP AT SMALL FORWARD (neither who would be called wide bodies).

Post subject: Re: 2018-19 team & needs
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:06 am 

I see Greene as a 3 and with his 6-11 wingspan and 40 inch vertical can play the 4 when we go small. I do not think Greene is quick enough or handles the ball well enough to play the 2. He can create his own shot and plays like a more athletic Townes.

Bujdoso comes from Sunrise and will be advanced for a freshman. He made Sunrise go and performed well against the top high school teams and players in the country. I think we will see him playing with Custer at the 2 at points during a game. Ko

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:24 am 

So what you're saying Fleet, if I understood you correctly, is that WE NEED ANOTHER SHOOTING GUARD.
Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:56 am 

Fleet comes through AGAIN !!

But I would refer all you worriers back to what we needed at the start of last season---The answer was and STILL is--we have a COACH !! He solved our problems --He WILL do it again !!

Would be nice to be two feep at all positions but we will survive in any case !!

We ARE back and will stay !!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 am 

DEEP instead of feep--SORRY

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:57 am 

You really cant think in the old traditional terms of pg, sg, pf, sf and Center....with the four out-1 in set they we have been running....it is more about the skill set.of taking the ball to the basket, and hitting the 3....with a center who can run the high pick and roll and score down low when isolated..
So who are the OUT guys ? (Custer, Townes, Williamson and ?)
The ? mark could be a lot of guys..Agunanne,Negron,Skonka,Bujdoso,Greene, Kaifes.....
Krutwig is the IN guy but who spells Krutwig ? I think Aguanne or Negron ?
To me a lot of who they should still bring in sort of depends on how they see Agunanne being used as an Innie or an Outie If as an outie...then we really need someone to back up Krutwig. If they see him as an Innie (and we are not talking bellie buttons) then it depends on how good they anticipate Bujdoso being....because even though they there are 4 outties one of them will be the lead dog(Custer) so do they think Townes will be that guy or Bujdoso....or do they need someone else, to spell Custer ?
Lots of ifs......and variables......and possibilities. But seems to me depends on the use of Agunanne

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:45 am 

Using your terms, Agunanne is definitely an "in". He will not be on the perimeter at all from what I've read and videos I've watched, he is definiltey used for finishing around the rim and staying in the post, not much else on offense to his game yet. Good rebounding and shot blocker on the defensive end, but definitely an "in"

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:50 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
You really cant think in the old traditional terms of pg, sg, pf, sf and Center....with the four out-1 in set they we have been running....it is more about the skill set.of taking the ball to the basket, and hitting the 3....with a center who can run the high pick and roll and score down low when isolated..
So who are the OUT guys ? (Custer, Townes, Williamson and ?)
The ? mark could be a lot of guys..Agunanne,Negron,Skonka,Bujdoso,Greene, Kaifes.....
Krutwig is the IN guy but who spells Krutwig ? I think Aguanne or Negron ?
To me a lot of who they should still bring in sort of depends on how they see Agunanne being used as an Innie or an Outie If as an outie...then we really need someone to back up Krutwig. If they see him as an Innie (and we are not talking bellie buttons) then it depends on how good they anticipate Bujdoso being....because even though they there are 4 outties one of them will be the lead dog(Custer) so do they think Townes will be that guy or Bujdoso....or do they need someone else, to spell Custer ?
Lots of ifs......and variables......and possibilities. But seems to me depends on the use of Agunanne

You’re forgetting Aher Uguak

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:14 pm 

Definitely agree that we don’t necessarily need a small forward. Townes is much more of a shooting guard type. His loss was felt at the final four game because he was one of our hottest players that day.
Our offense is more like a point guard, 3 shooting guards and a post.

Bujdoso is probably our truest point guard in that he’s pass first more than anything (Custer is a more modern point in that he can pass and score in a hurry). I’ve watched him in the Canadian all star game and a couple sunrise games. He’s a brilliant passer; and is a solid finisher around the rim. Most scouting reports I’ve seen have him as someone who is almost too deferential as a passer. Not a bad trait in our offense.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:28 pm 

Uguak definitely an Outie....I think will function like Ingram....as it helps to have at least one more player other than the center that can post up.
The 4 out 1 In is pretty solid offensively with the right personnel as we saw last year....but defensively it can lead to mismatches particularity if the opposition is still running a power inside game with a true center and a true power forward. We had some issues with this last year and when we tried to insert Jackson and Krutwig together for defensive purposes the O struggled..and Coach is a defensive guy first.....I am thinking how they fill the last spot will tell us a lot about how the Coach views the Valley and his team for next year.
One way or another next year will require us to integrate a lot of new players.....bring on the Eurekas...we may need the playing time for the newbies

Side not....Evansville just signed a guard from Eureka who scored 17 against the Ramblers last year (and from my high school)