It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Class of 2021
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Thanks for the fine update on our recruits, bmh_twosix!
Incidentally I googled your screen name. Did you know BMH26 is the model number of a Mr. Coffee coffee grinder?

Follow up question: Do you mind if I start calling you "Mr. Coffee"?

Follow up question #2: Are you a bass fisherman?

Answer: I did not know that, and I've certainly been called worse, so go right ahead! Personally I use a Baratza Encore for my home bean grinding needs.

Answer #2: Not much of a fisherman. And on the rare occasions that I am someone else is typically telling me what I'll be catching.

Agree that's the most likely story on Sayles. Hope the staff's keeping up with him though, never know if he might change his mind.

Personally I really liked Schweiger's tape, and how well organized it was showing off all of his skills. Hope we stay very in on him.

As for the Ivy commits, in theory this will be more under control by 2021 when they actually set foot on campus, so I doubt there is a rush to make moves. But if things linger into next year , and the Ivy League is still being as conservative as they are now, then maybe you'd see some decommits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:02 pm 

bmh_twosix
1. Thanks for the update,,,,,lotta work...appreciated
2. In your rummaging around the world of basketball recruiting did you get a sense that any of these guys are serious about LU?
3. Interested that UW-Milwaukee was mentioned as often as it was....I think Dad and Son...the Baldwins are playing a little game. trying to get kids thinking that Pat Jr. is going to go to UWM....in hopes of grabbing a couple b4 he bolts for Duke or Dad and son bolt somewhere together....UWM is continually mentioned as one of his top 3......NU seems to have given up even though dad coached there.
4. I get it that players will go where they have a relationship with a coach,,,but was surprised to see the comment about CPS players heading to Western.....what a horrible facility ....remember going there to see the Ramblers in 04....and what a horrible gym...basically less than many high school gyms...and we lost by 15 scoring 18 points in the first half!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:29 pm 

Wow bmh_twosix, yours is the first reference to the Ivy League as conservative that I have ever heard. You may be accused, by the word police, of having made a racist remark.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:15 am 

Sounds like Sayles plans on playing basketball at the next level. Mentions Virginia Tech, Loyola, SIU, UW-M and Western Illinois as schools in touch with him. https://youtu.be/9xOqSpTCiS8?t=88

Really like him as a PG. Will be a three year starter on a top 25 football team (well, two year starter if there isn't a season this year...). Also thinks he gets overlooked a bit playing with Lesmond (who had numerous high major offers but picked Harvard) and D'Amico. He is a leader and the kind of guy you want as the floor general.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:35 am 

Good news about Sayles. Glad Mr. Coffee and I were wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:02 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Good news about Sayles. Glad Mr. Coffee and I were wrong.

Additional suggested edit: "Good news about Sayles. Glad Mr. Coffee and I missed this and made the wrong assumption."

Really throws me under the bus and the verb tense works both ways.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:13 am 

So you noticed my sly edit! I considered changing my original post to "Glad Mr. Coffee was wrong", absolving myself completely from any blame, but Swella is nothing if not fair minded so I compromised by adding "and I" but with the different font sizes.
I like your verb solution. I was dissatisfied using "were" instead of "was".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:26 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
bmh_twosix
1. Thanks for the update,,,,,lotta work...appreciated
2. In your rummaging around the world of basketball recruiting did you get a sense that any of these guys are serious about LU?
3. Interested that UW-Milwaukee was mentioned as often as it was....I think Dad and Son...the Baldwins are playing a little game. trying to get kids thinking that Pat Jr. is going to go to UWM....in hopes of grabbing a couple b4 he bolts for Duke or Dad and son bolt somewhere together....UWM is continually mentioned as one of his top 3......NU seems to have given up even though dad coached there.
4. I get it that players will go where they have a relationship with a coach,,,but was surprised to see the comment about CPS players heading to Western.....what a horrible facility ....remember going there to see the Ramblers in 04....and what a horrible gym...basically less than many high school gyms...and we lost by 15 scoring 18 points in the first half!!!!

Didn't do too much digging beyond the verbal commits page for most of them yesterday. had some time to do little more research this morning on some of the newer offers.

- Brandin Podziem - Article from Rivals seems to highlight some of the high major offers he's recently received. Wouldn't count us out, as he talks about fit/playing time, so if we get him on campus could be a major factor.
- Marcus Randolph - Could not find anything on his recruitment process, other than his team (Archbishop Wood) is apparently favorite to win the Philly Catholic League and is a potential top 25 team in the country.
- Isaiah Walker - Just a short article on his influx of offers, but no mentions of any specific schools. Has the winning pedigree Porter always seems to go after (24-0 regular season last year) and his dad was Ohio Mr. Basketball, played 4 years at Xavier, and had a nearly decade long professional career in Poland.
- Ben Schwieger - Recent article about him deciding to play volleyball instead of AAU basketball and how the June recruiting period would have helped him. Granted, the June recruiting period ended up being cancelled. There's a Rivals article about him building a relationship with Wisconsin, but it's behind a paywall. To date they have not offered him.
- Garrett Johnson - Just some general Q&A with him about basketball and the current recruiting process. No mention of any particular schools.
- Ty Johnson - Johnson retweeted some accounts saying Tulane and Virginia Tech have reached out to him.
- Will Richard- Apparently has a few other schools who have reached out including Tulsa, James Madison, and Belmont and a minor spotlight piece here

Would hope that Baldwin Sr. is being upfront with recruits about his chances of landing junior. Feel like most guys wouldn't commit, or at least sign their LOI, until junior signs his.

Will definitely be interesting to see how WIU develops. Hinton had offers from SLU, Boise State, and Grand Canyon. Watson had committed to Wake Forest before the coaching change. Tamell Pearson didn't ever really take off at UAB, but had some high major offers from Illinois and Oklahoma State along with various Valley/Horizon league level offers. That's a lot of talent for the Summit League. Keep up a pipeline like that and things will be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:46 pm 

That's awesome to hear we're still on Sayles. I'm a big fan of his game, seems like a tough kid with great intangibles; kind of reminds me of Clemons in that he's not flashy but just makes the right plays. Would be cool to grab Troy D'Amico as well to keep a pair of local talents.

I was really high on John Poulakidas, but it seems like he may be going the high major route. Same with Tyrese Hunter... i think both will be high level players. I'm really curious to see how recruiting shakes out this year across the country without AAU to go off of. We lucked out not having many scholarships to give for this year, as we were probably able to get a head start on '21 kids.

As for Western Illinois, the Irvin addition has been HUGE. They've added a ton of talent, could be a fun team to watch. With that instant impact, i'll be curious if Irvin stays, or if he gets called up to a bigger program come next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:06 pm 

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, a Blers sighting!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 59  Next