It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:39 am 

The NCAA just amended its transfer rules to eliminate the requirement that players get permission from their current school before transferring. The amendment also requires schools to enter the player's name on a data base of transferring players within two days.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 698386002/

This got me thinking about the whole issue of transfers. Within the past several years transfers have become more and more commonplace, to the point that close to 40% of players now end their career at a different school than they started out at.

We are almost approaching the era of free agency in college athletics. I think the requirement that the transferring player sit out a year is the next barrier to fall, which I don't object to since, in my opinion, it unfairly places the burden of discouraging transfers on the student athlete.

I don't want to see unrestricted free agency in college sports; it would be ruinous for mid-majors like Loyola. But I think the burden to prevent or minimize excessive transferring should rest on the schools and not the players.

To this end, I propose that a "tax" be placed on the schools in the form of a loss of a scholarship when signing a transferring player. In effect, any transferee would cost the school two scholarships. I haven't decided whether this should be for one year only or for each year the transferee plays at his new school.

I could see giving the schools one or two "free" transfer signings before the tax provision kicks in on the next one.

Does anybody know whether this proposal has been put forth before? It just came to me, but it seems so commonsensical I wouldn't be at all surprised if others have come up with it already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:51 am 

I agree that there needs to be some changes made, but in my opinion this would be a bit problematic. Schools would be less willing to accept transfers because they can’t afford to lose scholarships. If you wanted to tie it to more than 2 transfers in a year or 4 in two years, maybe that works better? There’s a trade off if guys are immediately eligible in your scenario, but also remember roster depth is huge for competitive practices.

I think the transfer sitting penalty should be reduced to one semester, and that semester can be satisfied if the transfer completes a semester’s worth of classes over summer school. 2 classes each session at Loyola would be attainable.