It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Top 144 Countdown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 am 

This was fun to follow last year. I think we will be waiting quite a bit longer this time around to see Loyola's name up on the board. Currently on #114.

Of note so far:
-#143: Illinois (haha)
-#141: Wright State
-#129: Northern Iowa
-#117: Northern Kentucky

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/men ... 4-previews

Post subject: Re: Top 144 Countdown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 pm 

By the way, Northern Kentucky at #117 is picked to win the Horizon League, and shows up as a 16 seed in their bracketology. That is an astounding fall-- I don't know if there's ever been a year where there was no Horizon/MCC team in the top 115 teams in the country.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:11 am 

where was Loyola last year? (to lazy to look back)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:11 am 

Robbie Aces wrote:
where was Loyola last year? (to lazy to look back)

100! http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/14979

Here's the thread from last year too: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2026

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 am 

Valpo checks in at #112.

I think ISUr and Loyola are locks to be in the top 100 (with Loyola in the top 35 or so). It'll be interesting to see if Bradley and/or SIU sneak in there as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:52 am 

SIU, Bradley and ISUr will all be in the top 100 along with Loyola. I'd guess SIU would be in the 90s, Bradley in the 70s, ISUr in the 50s and Loyola in the 30s or 40s.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 am 

JCT wrote:
SIU, Bradley and ISUr will all be in the top 100 along with Loyola. I'd guess SIU would be in the 90s, Bradley in the 70s, ISUr in the 50s and Loyola in the 30s or 40s.

Correct--Rider checks in at #100 with all four Illinois MVC teams still out there. Going to be a hell of a race in the Missouri Valley this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:25 am 

There sure is a lot of noise coming from the Illinois State fanbase about how good they are going to be this year...

It seems to me that our front five look more talented than theirs, but their bench is just going to be extremely deep with talent. Does that seem accurate?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:07 pm 

ISUr had more talent than us last season too...but theyre coached poorly, have no discipline and dont play team basketball. I assume if they have a bunch of talent on their bench it will lead to infighting within the squad. I wont change my mind until their coaching staff proves they are good for something other than snarkily using twitter to rag on the selection committee.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:02 pm 

440Rambler wrote:
ISUr had more talent than us last season too...but theyre coached poorly, have no discipline and dont play team basketball. I assume if they have a bunch of talent on their bench it will lead to infighting within the squad. I wont change my mind until their coaching staff proves they are good for something other than snarkily using twitter to rag on the selection committee.

I was standing next to Big Joe at the Arch Madness final last year, and Malik Yarbrough was trying to shake and bake and dribble drive through three defenders to the basket, and Joe said, "That's right. Do it yourself. Try to do too much." Yarbrough got his own rebound, in part because the shot was so bad after it was put up in desperation around defenders. And he tried to go up again, through two or three players, and Joe said, "Come on, try it again.... You can do it all yourself......" And the two or three people around us all laughed because that's EXACTLY what he did.... try to score by himself through three defenders.

Yes, I know Yarbrough is very talented, and most players can't guard him one-on-one. And he gets a LOT of assists from drawing a single defender and dishing off. But he doesn't have much discipline, nor do a lot of ISU players. And they're particularly bad at the beginning of the season, when they seem to have forgotten over the summer and fall all the things that work well in team-oriented ball.

By the way, they just released their non-con schedule today. If ISU comes out of the gate and beats both Florida Gulf Coast at home and Belmont on the road (where Belmont is 172-27 since opening their building), I'll take notice.