It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 am 

I've been catching highlights of "The Basketball Tournament" and it's been interesting to see a bunch of guys who used to play for various college teams coming back for one more shot. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a tournament where you build a team between 7 to 15 players and submit an application, and if you're accepted, you play in 72 team tournament (with regionals) with a shot at winning 2 million dollars. While none of the teams are "officially" related to any university, most of the teams are formed through alumni of individual universities and have jerseys and team names similar to the players' respective former colleges.

Since there's not a whole lot going on during this dead period for basketball, I thought it would be interesting to pose the question, if Loyola alumni fielded a team, 1) would you want to see them play? 2) what would be our best team that we could put out there? and 3) How well could we do? From what i can tell, there are really no rules prohibiting anyone from playing, so the choices are wide open.

If we could field a team for next year, I would like to see:

1) Donte Ingram
2) Milton Doyle
3) Ben Richardson
4)Clayton Custer
5) Majak Kou
6) Blake Shilb
7) Ben Averkamp
8) Devon Turk
9) Christian Thomas
10) JR Blount

Obviously, my team would be pretty guard heavy, but there's not a whole lot we have to choose from as far as forwards....

You also can pick a coach (who can also be a player). Even though he was only with us for a year, I think i would take Carson Shanks, since I enjoy his personality and tweets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 am 

Walt Gibler needs to be on the squad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:21 am 

Montel James and Jeff White played for the Peoria All Stars. Any other Loyola alums play in the tourney? Also, any rules on NBA players being allowed to play in the tournament?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 am 

I forgot about montell James, but he would be a great frontcoutt addition to s potential team!

I don’t know if the NBA restrict their players from playing in it, but it doesn’t look like a tournament itself does.