It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:32 pm 

Last season my personal expectation and goal for the Ramblers was making it to the NCAA Tournament. It was a high bar, considering the Ramblers were picked 3rd in the league pre-season, and hadn't been to the NCAA Tournament for 33 years. So everything after the tip-off against Miami in the first round was emotional profit.

Obviously, it's very unlikely that Loyola returns to the Final Four, especially after losing Donte Ingram (24th in school history for points, 15th in rebounds, 3rd in made three-pointers), Aundre Jackson (all-time career field goal percentage leader), and Ben Richardson (6th all-time in Loyola three-pointers made, 13th in assists, 10th in steals, defending conference defensive player of the year).

Illinois State looks to be primed for a run at the title, with four very talented seniors penciled into their starting lineup.

SIU had several injuries that limited their rotation to seven players for most of the year, yet they challenged for the title last year until the last week of the regular season. All of their main players are back, along with healthy players who sat out last season.

Loyola returning to the NCAA Tournament for a second consecutive year would be a huge, huge milestone for the program, recruiting, fan interest, etc. I think most people would say we're favorites to repeat an MVC title, but that doesn't guarantee an at large bid in the case of a conference tournament loss. Of course I want a repeat, but I think I could be somewhat satisfied with a 2nd place finish, and NIT at least, and a good, positive showing in the player development and attendance category.

But that's just me. What are your expectations and goals for Loyola in 2018-19, and why?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:58 am 

If you would’ve told me last year at this time that I’d be disappointed with anything less than an NCAA bid, I probably would’ve laughed...but, here we are. After what this team showed last year, I fully expect another great year. Yes, we lost a few big pieces...but we also return a heck of a lot of talent and leadership too. With Custer and Townes being seniors, with last year’s Freshmen gaining a full offseason experience, with a bitter taste left by getting so close to winning it all but then losing with an uncharacteristic terrible few minutes of play...I gotta think the hunger, drive, and talent will all be there and will be a great combination. I could be wrong, especially since chemistry was so important last year and it’s so unpredictable from year to year. But everything is there for this team to piece together another run, no matter what any other team in the MVC has done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:52 am 

We all know last season was a dream come true. My hope for this year is to have another game like Illinois State with the conference title on the line and fans who were strangers high fiving in the stands. After that, go to the title game at Arch Madness and let the chips fall where they may.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:17 pm 

We win as a team in a system. My expectation is that we will win the MVC. We have a solid core that is better than any other core.

Last year we won despite not having a back up point guard nor a back up center.

We will find the hot hand or whoever has an advantage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:53 pm 

Obviously, the biggest expectation coming into this year is to win the MVC tournament and get back to the NCAA. This is an attainable goal.

The big knock on us for this season from what I've been reading is people think we're not going to be as good because of the losses of Richardson, Ingam and Jackson. What's so interesting is this blanket statement has been made by college basketball "experts" without bringing up other important aspects of this team and other "x" factors -- namely Krutwig was just a freshmen last year, and Townes' game started elevating LATE in the season. We would be hard pressed to expect more from Custer than what we've already seen, but going into this year - if Krutwig and Townes have improved, even just marginally, in the off-season, there's a good chance that the team will be MORE talented than last year, even with the loss of the other three. Custer, Krutwig and Townes have bonded, they've gained a massive amount of big-stage experience, and have been given the inspiration to become even greater players than what they were last year. 60% of our starting lineup has played in an NCAA Final Four in front of 76,000 people - There's no reason to think the taste of the spotlight hasn's fueled these kids to come back even better this year. Outsiders seem to want to dwell on what we lost, but I'm more excited about what we are bringing back!

Nobody knows what Uguak is going to be, and there's a good chance he picks up right where Jackson left off...

Also... the last I checked, we still have Williamson!

I think our team has the experience and talent to get back to the Sweet 16 this year. If they don't at least make the tournament, I will be extremely disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:49 pm 

With the experienced players we have coming back, plus Uguak, Agunanne, and a healthy Negron, I think it is reasonable to expect another MVC season championship.
If we have no serious injuries among the regular rotation, we should be favored to win Arch Madness.
After that, who knows? I would hope to win at least one or two tournament games, and maybe, get hot and go further.
We will not be taken lightly by any team this season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:44 pm 

When you look at.Bujdoso's stats they do not jump out at you. However, Sunrise lost two games they should not have when he was out. When he return they beat three of the top five teams in the country.

Sunrise head coach said they struggled to score without him. This is the kind of guy wo works in our system. He will make the second group better so we will not have long droughts like last year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:07 pm 

At this point I predict that we win the MVC and its tourney with main competition SO Ill and Valpo !!! Our team is good ==our coach is tops-- When Red Birds cease their playground stuff they just MIGHT be good enough for fifth !! Bradley are dark horses ---Just my take but injury bug MUST not get in our way---

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:02 pm 

This is my expectation. There is every reason to believe that we will be competitive in a much stronger conference with a chance for another NCAA bid. But this is a different team. The guys we lost can’t just be replaced (e.g., Williamson for Richardson) while everyone else gets a year better. The team as a whole has to start all over again and develop together, not just starters, but the entire rotation, the entire team, as we saw last year.

This is my nightmare. A different chemistry combines with inflated expectations and results in mediocrity that drives away fans and recruits. I don’t expect this, but I need something to worry about.

This is my hope. There is a solid foundation for the team to develop into something special again. With the coach and - I never thought I would say this – the culture, the ceiling is high as we saw last year.

Go Ramblers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am 

A: I envision us winning the conference and losing in the Arch Madness final.

B: I predict we move up to 9th in conference for home game attendance.

C: I predict that we win "most improved concessions" in conference too!