It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:57 pm 

Look at the list of Followers for the official Loyola Men's Basketball Twitter Account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RamblersMBB? ... r%5Eauthor

Notice anything unusual?

Well, I think I did. There seems to be an unexpectedly large percentage of recent followers with Hispanic names who have very few if any followers of their own. There are also more than the expected number of recent Arabic and Korean followers with similar profiles.. Just take a minute or two to scroll down the list and I think you will agree.

I can't believe this is a mere coincidence or a statistical anomaly. There is something going on here, I just don't know what. Just why are these folks following the Ramblers from places like Ecuador, Seoul or Dubai?

I'm not suggesting without proof there is any hanky panky involved (ala Richard Roeper), but I would like to know what's up.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 pm 

The accounts with a bunch of random digits at the end are bots... so maybe Russians love Sister Jean?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:08 pm 

Thanks ahunte for the bot clue. I did some superficial research. It seems some bots are programmed to follow a twitter account based on keyword searches.
Pure speculation on my part, but maybe the Hispanic followers are bots responding to keywords relating to Marques Townes playing for the Dominican Republic in the Central American and Carribean Games.

What a world we live in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 pm 

Hmm, I was wearing my Loyola T-shirt in the hotel gym (who am I kidding, the hotel bar) and the boardwalk alongside South Beach earlier...mostly for the purpose of trolling Miami faithful, but apologies if I spurred some sort of twitter rage...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:20 am 

01grad wrote:
Hmm, I was wearing my Loyola T-shirt in the hotel gym (who am I kidding, the hotel bar) and the boardwalk alongside South Beach earlier...mostly for the purpose of trolling Miami faithful, but apologies if I spurred some sort of twitter rage...

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:50 am 

The recent deluge of fake followers of the official Rambler Basketball Twitter account continues unabated. In my opinion even if this is not Loyola's fault it still reflects poorly on the credibility of its social media presence. You are judged by the company you keep, after all, even if the company is uninvited.

I hope whoever is in charge of the account will come to work Monday and takes steps to purge all the fake followers.
I wonder if they will be able to figure out the (presumed) common source for all the fake followers, and what prompted it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:58 pm 

Robots taking interest in your program are still eyeballs. We don’t discriminate. Take what you can get.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:10 pm 

SisterJean’s#1Pupil wrote:
Robots taking interest in your program are still eyeballs. We don’t discriminate. Take what you can get.

fyi, Twitter could not disagree more:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/tech ... owers.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm 

Twitter audit says 8% of the followers are fake. To me it's not worth spending time on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:25 pm 

I think the findings you cited from TwitterAudit may accurately reflect the overall percentage of fake followers of Rambler Basketball, but I don't think they address what my eyes see as a definite and alarming trend of exponentially increasing fakes.

Of the most recent 100 followers, I counted 75 that looked like obvious fakes to me. My count may be off one or two, but it is undeniable that this is a disturbing development that needs to be addressed, and soon.