It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:31 pm 

Andre was a big part of the rebirth of Loyola hoops in the 80's. Ray has lost a good portion of his vision from the combined effects of Chronic Sarcoidosis and Glaucoma. It has affected his ability to work, but more importantly to even see his wife, daughter, and family members.
Team Battle has found a solution that will make a major improvement in Ray's life. E-Sight is a company that produces electronic glasses which can improve Ray's sight by 85%. Unfortunately, the price of these glasses are cost prohibitive for Ray and his family.
Former Loyola hoopers have taken up the task of helping raise funds on Ray's behalf. Ray is one the kindest, most loving guys I have had the good fortune to call a teammate and friend. My hope is our community is able to show support in any way you feel appropriate.
Go Ramblers!

https://www.gofundme.com/electronic-glasses-for-andre-battle

“Don’t give up just because of what someone said. Use that as motivation to push harder.”

During my early years of life, I was an accomplished basketball player throughout elementary, high school, and university. I had the pleasure of establishing my educational and athletic career at Simeon High School, and the basketball program was a city contender each year. Based on my NCAA collegiate career, I earned the opportunity to be a third-round draft pick to the Boston Celtics in 1985. I also valued and continue to acknowledge education as a key ingredient to success, as evidenced by my completion of a baccalaureate degree from Loyola University-Chicago. However, the best-laid plans can all change when life happens. For me, a damaged knee, reconstructive surgery, followed by a diagnosis of Chronic Sarcoidosis at the age of 26, ended my dream as an NBA hopeful. Thankfully, my family support, belief in God, and the motivation to persevere led me to complete my degree and utilize my education to establish a career in Social Services.

During my professional career, I continued to cope with Chronic Sarcoidosis. However, an additional side effect of the condition was vision difficulties. Consequently, in 2015, I was diagnosed with glaucoma in both eyes, which significantly affected my ability to continue to work in the Social Services profession. My doctors performed seven surgeries attempting to improve my eyesight resulting in only minor successes. As a result, I was forced to make another life adjustment after overcoming the devastation of the initial diagnosis. This year my glaucoma progressed, and I lost more vision in both eyes. As a result, for the past eight months, I have not been able to see the faces of my wife, daughter, other family members and friends. Unfortunately, I have suffered multiple injuries during my adjustment to the latest change in my vision abilities.

The vision difficulties I have endured as of late have been very disappointing, and I have willed myself to keep the faith. To my amazement, my pastor and wife conducted research to discover the latest treatments for vision therapy. They were able to learn about E-Sight, a company that has discovered and developed Electronic Glasses, which can drastically improve an individual’s sight. Because I lost 50% of my peripheral vision, which will never return, I will need vision assistance. After my appointment and consultation with E-Sight, I learned my vision can improve by up to 85% with the glasses. Upon visiting the office and wearing a trial pair, I was able to see my wife and daughter for the first time in months.

To obtain the life-changing Electronic Glasses, which will restore my independence and quality of life, I must spend $10,301, which is cost prohibitive for me. Any amount you are willing to contribute, to assist me with my goal will be deeply and sincerely appreciated. Please consider sharing this with your family and friends!
To learn more about Electronic Glasses visit the company’s website at https://www.esighteyewear.com

Again, I offer gratitude for your support in my journey to continue to push harder!

Respectfully,
Andre “Radar” and Sheila Battle

https://youtu.be/yfkGWuDtYXA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:09 pm 

Thanks for sharing, Klu. I'm in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:35 pm 

Thanks for posting this Klu. I have already contributed and was going to put a similar message on this board for the Ramblermania group. You beat me to it, and your appeal and heartfelt message is much better than anything I could have written.

Please help out Andre if you can Ramblermaniacs. Truly one of my favorite Ramblers of all time - and a great person who needs our help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:34 pm 

Dear Friends,
We have proudly surpassed our financial goal of purchasing electronic glasses for Andre. Please know that you have significantly helped Ray in a deeply profound manner. The gift you have so generously provided for him and his family will never be forgotten. It is rare that we are able to help someone truly improve their quality of life and help bring joy and happiness at the same time. We should all be very proud of the fact that we were able to share our gifts with a fellow Loyola alum.
Ray is planning on watching the Ramblers in person this season. We will post the games he will be in attendance. Please stop by and say hello.
Team Battle

ad majorem Dei gloriam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:57 pm 

Great news!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm 

Thanks for letting us know about this, Klu. And good luck to Andre!