It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 pm 

I’ve had a gut feeling all season that a Uguak will grad transfer next year. No hard evidence but just a gut feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:18 pm 

Nate, if I am able to crawl inside your brain, I'm guessing you think "Spots left: -1" means we have one position/scholarship to fill. What it really means is we are one OVER. If we had one scholarship left it would say "Spots Left: +1".

Okay now I got it.
1. I never did get NEW MATH
2. Havent filled my new glasses prescription filled (they currently dont make glass that thick)
3. Seems to be the way of college sports that there will be movement from year to year...just thought we could hold that discussion till after the year is over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:20 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
The Jeremiah Williams visit raises a host of issues.
While I've been touting him on Ramblermania for a year and a half, before he had any offers (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2492&p=27606&hilit=Jeremiah#p27606), and would love to see him in a Rambler uniform, I too fear this is a signal we might lose one or more players to transfer.

I read somewhere that the NCAA was considering eliminating the "sit one" rule for first-time transfers, to be effective next year. What I fear most is a P5 school poaching Kennedy.
Even if no changes in NCAA transfer rules, Wojcik or Welch might consider transferring for more playing time, and Hall and Uguak would presumably be immediately eligible as grad transfers.

I think the only person I see as being obviously at risk to leave is Pipkins, but I'm not sure what that would mean for him as a JUCO transfer. I'm less concerned about the trio of freshman as I think that the keys to the car will be given to them in 2022. I'd be surprised (and very sad) if Kennedy left. He had a Florida State offer. That's a good ACC team. Maybe there were other issues with Florida State and he'd leave if a more favorable situation came along from a closer P5 team but I don't think there's any reason to doubt his commitment now.

I'd also be sad to lose Hall and Uguak. However, I think with all of the potential next year has it would be an odd choice for them to start from scratch when Porter has clearly demonstrated he values what they contribute and gives them the playing time to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:21 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
3. Seems to be the way of college sports that there will be movement from year to year...just thought we could hold that discussion till after the year is over.

Fair enough, but it's tough to untangle that from the recruiting picture that's developing now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:19 pm 

Agree that the fact we are going to be VERY good next year if everybody returns mitigates against players transferring.
But every player's situation is unique.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:36 pm 

I would LOVE Williams on this team. He’s a Swiss army knife that can do it all; him and Kennedy had a great battle when Williams was still at St. Laurence that I’m pretty sure is still on youtube. I’m also all for having another Simeon kid on the team. He kinda reminds me of Ingram in regards to his all-around skill set at the wing. Probably not as good of a shooter, but is more physical going to the rack as a high school senior.

Plenty of possibilities though. I could see Pipkins transferring to a D2 team to play immediately and get some good numbers for a post grad career. Seems like a good teammate, always engaged on the bench, but needs minutes to get in a rhythm. Even in JUCO he wasn’t extremely efficient and is more of a volume scorer. Maybe not though. It’s hard to keep 13 players happy. The fact that we now have an 11th man that we’d be sad to see go is a testament to the depth we’ve built up.

Ultimately, I’d rather have coaches that are prepared for the unexpected than not. There’s also always the chance that Williams is looking to boost his recruitment by going the prep school/JUCO route for a season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:44 pm 

Just some context that I want to throw out there. Yes if the season ended today, Bruno would be the only scholarship player leaving.

With NCAA rule only allowing 13 scholarship players per team, which we would have given out 14.
There are plenty of exceptions, easy example Tyson smith hardship medical scholarship that allowed us to have technically 14 during his last year with us.

I believe that the average number of transfers per team is about 1.8, so roughly 2 players a year leave a team to transfer somewhere else. Which then I would say that our average over the last 3 years has well been 2 or more players leaving.

So with that in mind, I would say Aher is the top candidate to leave regardless of Hutson's Walk on or not. he will be a graduate student so he can transfer without sitting out a year for transferring.

I know the guys on Podcast63 talked about this a while ago since we technically need a player to leave for Hutson or Hebb to get a scholarship

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:15 pm 

If Aher transfers I blame Toledo Rambler!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:07 am 

Re Jeremiah Williams, I noticed he recently followed Sunrise Christian Prep School on Twitter.
Maybe he is considering going there and reclassifying to 2021.
This provides a more palatable explanation for his visit than speculating about who is going to transfer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:50 pm 

Coach Kimbrough just followed a Class of 2020 shooting guard on Twitter, Jalen Leach, and Jalon Pipkins just made his Twitter account private. Combine this with Jeremiah William's visit, and the only possible conclusion is...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 31  Next